All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does this only happen at slow speed and on full lock?
I'm taking delivery of AMG C43 estate in mid April and I am starting to show some concern!
I do really like the car and if it's only on full lock I feel that I could live with it.
I think I would rather have the car with full lock available than have it with limited lock should that be the fix applied to the vehicle to stop this problem.

If it's happening when full lock is not applied then I may consider cancelling my order.

Driver200 how are you finding you car now?

Will I have to sign the disclaimer as my point of sale was in November?
What will happen if I refuse to sign?

Nigel21: Firstly have you had a proper test drive -ideally from cold- if so what were your findings?

In my case I was able to test drive my car within hours of it being delivered to the dealership; and yes there was certainly mild crabbing on the forecourt but I took it to a near-by car park and repeatedly tested full-lock in all directions and there was no evidence of crabbing. I put this down to the tyres being warmed up which fortunately for MB fits in with their winter tyre scenario.

So far I have had no crabbing but that isn't because it doesn't exist but because I rarely use full-lock. The cluncking/severe juddering that owners are experiencing would certainly have manifested itself in my car by now as in some cases its still doing it when their car is going in a straight line!! So I'm thankful for that. I am keeping actively involved in this issue mainly because -regardless of the 47,000 Google hits- I believe it could have been engineered out or at the very least down to an acceptable minor judder level which, perhaps, most owners would actually live with.

My honest opinion is that if it wasn't for the cluncking then perhaps less people would be complaining because if any motorist heard cluncking coming from either their engine or gearbox then all hell would break loose but because MB say it's the tyres causing the problem then they think that's good enough. Well it isn't.

So back to your question. I decided to buy the car because 99.9% of the time its a mighty machine, well made, cool machine one minute and with the flick of a switch it's bruiser side comes out to play. If you haven't ordered the AMG Performance Exhaust suggest you change your mind and get it as it completes the package nicely.

Final word, I wasn't asked to sign any waiver but the dealership did say that should I return the car for this issue to be checked out they will give me a letter saying that it's down to the tyre's etc.. but that would obviously be if I experienced the problem to an unacceptable level.

Finally, finally. Ouch for the April delivery slot guess you will be hit by the new VED rates?

Keep in touch via this thread if you want more info but remember all above is only my opinion as there are other C43 owners who will say CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Does it happen if you select Neutral?

Excellent question - Tony suggested that as well.

Once I've got my car back from the dealer (I'm in a GLE 350d now which is crab free) I will try that test to ensure there is no engine load on the drive train.

Not sure when or if I get my car back ;)

Nigel21: Firstly have you had a proper test drive -ideally from cold- if so what were your findings?

In my case I was able to test drive my car within hours of it being delivered to the dealership; and yes there was certainly mild crabbing on the forecourt but I took it to a near-by car park and repeatedly tested full-lock in all directions and there was no evidence of crabbing. I put this down to the tyres being warmed up which fortunately for MB fits in with their winter tyre scenario.

So far I have had no crabbing but that isn't because it doesn't exist but because I rarely use full-lock. The cluncking/severe juddering that owners are experiencing would certainly have manifested itself in my car by now as in some cases its still doing it when their car is going in a straight line!! So I'm thankful for that. I am keeping actively involved in this issue mainly because -regardless of the 47,000 Google hits- I believe it could have been engineered out or at the very least down to an acceptable minor judder level which, perhaps, most owners would actually live with.

My honest opinion is that if it wasn't for the cluncking then perhaps less people would be complaining because if any motorist heard cluncking coming from either their engine or gearbox then all hell would break loose but because MB say it's the tyres causing the problem then they think that's good enough. Well it isn't.

So back to your question. I decided to buy the car because 99.9% of the time its a mighty machine, well made, cool machine one minute and with the flick of a switch it's bruiser side comes out to play. If you haven't ordered the AMG Performance Exhaust suggest you change your mind and get it as it completes the package nicely.

Final word, I wasn't asked to sign any waiver but the dealership did say that should I return the car for this issue to be checked out they will give me a letter saying that it's down to the tyre's etc.. but that would obviously be if I experienced the problem to an unacceptable level.

Finally, finally. Ouch for the April delivery slot guess you will be hit by the new VED rates?

Keep in touch via this thread if you want more info but remember all above is only my opinion as there are other C43 owners who will say CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL.

Good luck.

I'm actually with Driver200 on this one. There have been many reports recently of those vehicles which don't exhibit this at all. So the whole characteristic theory that Mercedes came out with is up in the air to me. There seem to be an equal chance to get a good one to a bad one.

Two others I met today whose cars just don't this at all regardless of temperatures, wheels/tyres.

I would recommend what Driver 200 did and try, and make the dealer sign a waiver that if it does it you can return it no questions asked.

Does this only happen at slow speed and on full lock?
I'm taking delivery of AMG C43 estate in mid April and I am starting to show some concern!
I do really like the car and if it's only on full lock I feel that I could live with it.
I think I would rather have the car with full lock available than have it with limited lock should that be the fix applied to the vehicle to stop this problem.

If it's happening when full lock is not applied then I may consider cancelling my order.

Driver200 how are you finding you car now?

Will I have to sign the disclaimer as my point of sale was in November?
What will happen if I refuse to sign?

Yesterday was the first day it hasn't happened to me on full lock but it was 15 degrees.

Does it happen if you select Neutral?
I'd wondered about that, but after a bit of thought considered that it was unlikely to be informative or conclusive because:
  1. You actually need a reasonable amount of power to get a car to turn at (or near) full lock, so you'd probably need an unusually fast entry speed to carry enough momentum to keep the car moving in neutral as lock was wound on. This unusually high entry speed would be likely to promote understeer and would thus significantly influence such a test
  2. It would result in weight transfer to the front wheels that is normally counteracted by the application of power when driving in gear. Increased weight on the nose of the car is likely to cause the front tyres to grip where they may otherwise slip
  3. Even with the transmission in neutral, the front and rear axles are still linked via the fore/aft diff, so if transmission wind up is the cause as some have postulated, the conditions to cause that are to a large extent still there
One of the few ways I can see to conduct an experiment to determine whether transmission wind-up is a causal factor or not is to remove / disconnect the front driveshafts, but that may be impractical depending upon how the front hubs are constructed. However, even that wouldn't lay to rest the question of whether it's the 4WD system or steering geometry choice that's causing the issue because the different loading effects could be additive, with neither one alone high enough to result in the slipping / juddering effect.

Hi c43amg84,

Same message all GLC owners receive :(

I've never had to fit winter tyres on any of our cars - has it really been a cold winter?

Did the dealer give you a price for winter tyres?

Be interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks,
Tony

They didn't give me a price. I asked that if I have the same issues once the temperatures rise that I will be making a further complaint.

Dear Mercedes Benz (for I assume you look at these forums),

I write this as a current BMW owner. However, upon deciding for a change I spent some time this year identifying possible cars that would be suitable. Long story short, I fell in love with the C43. So in the last few weeks I have been getting prepared to place my order. However, the developing 'crabbing' issue has caught my attention and I have been monitoring these and other forums closely.

I have now reached the stage where I have decided not to buy a Mercedes car. The reason for this, and the reason I am posting this, is because I think MB have displayed an alarming amount of arrogance and, dare I say it, contempt for their customers in the way they have dealt with this 'comfort' issue.

It sounds to me that it is very much not a comfort issue if it is making peoples lives a misery and their faith in the safety of their vehicle is always at the forefront of their minds. This is not the driving experience people expect when paying significant amounts of money. And getting people to sign waivers is just wrong on so many levels.

Therefore, I post this to highlight that your arrogance has most definitely cost you one customer that would have perhaps spent a few hundred thousand with you over the next 20 years. I am not the only one. If you look at the BMW forums you will see a large number of BMW owners wanting a change to MB but being put off by your current inability to address a problem in a professional and courteous manner.

I am not completely happy with BMW, but I must say, they have never displayed such contempt or arrogance in all my dealings with them.

Nearly C43 owner.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted already, but someone on YouTube changed to winter tyres and says it stopped the crabbing/judder completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4Tnd5F7Oo

That is the official stance from Mercedes indeed. For my GLC43 (not C43) I decided to take them up on it; for now ignored the fact that they suggest I should spend more more on my car to be able to enjoy it all year round. I asked can I try it then as you say it will fix it; nope I can't as they don't have any. Ok, can you order me a a set than so we can resolve this; nope the tyres aren't available. Manufacturer isn't due to run another manufacturing batch until June.

Ok so I asked them that the formal stance to this is to fit tyres that you nor anyone else can supply? Let's just say that we both started laughing at how absolutely ridiculous this whole situation is.

Take nearc43owner below, and the many others that haven't gone through with this. Surely it would have been cheaper to simply provide the fix to those that complain about it, and leave those who think this is normal with their clonking, skipping,juddering cars, and leave those who don't experience it at all lucky in their situation. It would not have cost them anything near what it is costing them now in lost sales and dealing with the issues and customer complaints.

Not sure if this was posted already, but someone on YouTube changed to winter tyres and says it stopped the crabbing/judder completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4Tnd5F7Oo

Interesting, but looks like this owner has also had to fit new wheels to accommodate the winter tyres - quite expensive I would guess, not to mention different wheels potentially changing the look of the new car.

For me, it would be quite upsetting if I'd taken delivery of my new £50k MB between September and April, then immediately had to replace the wheels and tyres in order to have a comfortable drive :(

Tony

Dear Mercedes Benz (for I assume you look at these forums),

I write this as a current BMW owner. However, upon deciding for a change I spent some time this year identifying possible cars that would be suitable. Long story short, I fell in love with the C43. So in the last few weeks I have been getting prepared to place my order. However, the developing 'crabbing' issue has caught my attention and I have been monitoring these and other forums closely.

I have now reached the stage where I have decided not to buy a Mercedes car. The reason for this, and the reason I am posting this, is because I think MB have displayed an alarming amount of arrogance and, dare I say it, contempt for their customers in the way they have dealt with this 'comfort' issue.

It sounds to me that it is very much not a comfort issue if it is making peoples lives a misery and their faith in the safety of their vehicle is always at the forefront of their minds. This is not the driving experience people expect when paying significant amounts of money. And getting people to sign waivers is just wrong on so many levels.

Therefore, I post this to highlight that your arrogance has most definitely cost you one customer that would have perhaps spent a few hundred thousand with you over the next 20 years. I am not the only one. If you look at the BMW forums you will see a large number of BMW owners wanting a change to MB but being put off by your current inability to address a problem in a professional and courteous manner.

I am not completely happy with BMW, but I must say, they have never displayed such contempt or arrogance in all my dealings with them.

Nearly C43 owner.

That's a pity as you have missed a chance of owning a very good car which for 99% of the time for most owners will put a smile on their face. Assume you tested the crabbing for yourself and were not satisfied with the result? Yes MB have dug a massive big hole for themselves but for some owners -myself included- this is a likely to be a winter related problem which unless something significant happens in the 'Safety' category then MB will turn a blind eye to it. I have absolute sympathy with those owners who are experiencing significant cluncking/juddering if that were the case with my car it would have gone back to MB by now but fortunately in my case I have only experienced minor crabbing which does not concern me at this time and as I suspect this will all but disappear during the warmer months. If things remain like this then in around 3 years time I will change my car but it's then that I will look at this and, perhaps, think twice about buying another MB. So even though I have not yet put MB to the test I can still have an impact on their bottom line when I next change my car.

Just an aside I can fully understand what you said about BMW as a few years ago I had the misfortune of owning a brand new 320i Cabriolet which is probably the most unreliable car I have every owned and their aftersales customer service was rubbish so I will NEVER, EVER buy another car from this manufacturer, but hey that's another story. Good luck with your next purchase whatever it is.

Last edited:
Well I've removed the GLC from my short list. Couldn't handle a letter like the one you received.
In the past I've always found MB customer services very helpful, but the attitude that it's just a comfort problem that can be alleviated by spending 1000s on new wheels / tyres beggars belief.

My C63s does it at very low speeds on full lock. I don't see the issue to be honest on my car at least. The alternative for me was an M3. Would I swap the 63 with Skipping for an M3 without it? No. Fair point about the additional wear and tear though, hadn't thought of that.

My C63s does it at very low speeds on full lock. I don't see the issue to be honest on my car at least. The alternative for me was an M3. Would I swap the 63 with Skipping for an M3 without it? No. Fair point about the additional wear and tear though, hadn't thought of that.

Assume you have the latest model C63s? Also did you tell your dealer about this?

Good luck.

Nigel21: Made your mind up yet? Perhaps you could pick up a cancelled order for March delivery and save a few £ as there will probably be some in the MB network after this stink?

The dealer has told me that because the order has been delayed MB will pay the first 3 yrs tax.(ordered in November)

I have ordered fully spec'd car so am reluctant to cancel

I will want to test driver my car before making my final decision but I think that I will probably go ahead with my purchase.

I do little mileage per year and will tolerate the occasional crabbing or avoid using full lock.

I will keep you posted

The dealer has told me that because the order has been delayed MB will pay the first 3 yrs tax.(ordered in November)

I have ordered fully spec'd car so am reluctant to cancel

I will want to test driver my car before making my final decision but I think that I will probably go ahead with my purchase.

I do little mileage per year and will tolerate the occasional crabbing or avoid using full lock.

I will keep you posted

Did your dealer give you the reason your order was delayed? I also ordered my car in November and took delivery the 3rd week of January.

No reason given it was supposed to be built this week but is delayed until middle March.

I have waited a long time because I wanted the black ash dash and its a restricted option so the order went through mid December

No reason given it was supposed to be built this week but is delayed until middle March.

I have waited a long time because I wanted the black ash dash and its a restricted option so the order went through mid December

Yes I was fortunate as there was one available with Black Ash which my dealer was able to re-assign over to them. Its odd as you would think that as an opinion it would just be ticking another box but for some reason the Black Ash was in limited supply. Any way what body colour and seats have you chosen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom