All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To get this thread back on track, please take a moment to remember why MB UK were asking GLC owners to fit winter tyres?

Answer - To hide the crabbing, juddering and uncomfortable drive resulting from the Front axle and Diff being incorrectly positioned on our right hand drive cars. Not for safety reasons.

Tony

Have any GLC owners thought about selling now, whilst it's still a new model? Values may not yet fully reflect the reputation this model is developing.

Agree, winters will make a car safer in cold conditions. But you are managing to miss the point - GLC owners suffering with this fault have between them had many, many different makes of car, but none of us has never been told by a manufacturer to fit winter tyres to reduce the effect of crabbing and juddering - NEVER!

Owners of competitive 4wd 2L diesel engined BMW, Audi, Ford, VW, Mitsuibishi, Lexus, whatever the brand name, do not have to fit winters to address a driving fault that makes the car uncomfortable, embarrassing and depressing to own and drive.

Yes winter tyres may make a car safer to drive in winter conditions, but not to fix a fault that occurs st 10+ degrees - or maybe I'm wrong?

Tony

Wouldn't disagree that fitting higher profile "winter tyres" with smaller diameter wheels is anything more than a temporary fix. Its just I wouldn't want GLC owners turn down this offer by MB through some misconceptions about the properties of winter tyres or cross climate tyres which is perhaps a more accurate and re-assuring description. In answer to why more manufacturers don't fit cross climate tyres to UK cars it is indeed a mystery. Certainly for the North half of the UK mainland taken over the entire year their advantages would outweigh their disadvantages. It would be nice if MB offered this as a buying option in the future but the tyres do cost more. ;) If there was an easy economic engineering fix Mercedes would surely have implemented it by now so I would suggest that owners who are offered this "freebie" accept it for now as it may mitigate suspension and transmission damage in the short term at least. In the absence of any other solution what other option is available to them at present without resorting to the law?

weathers bit warmer..the problem is barely noticable

weathers bit warmer..the problem is barely noticable

Have you asked your dealer what they are doing about providing you with different tyres for the winter months?

Have you asked your dealer what they are doing about providing you with different tyres for the winter months?

Have you had a response from your dealer about all season tyres for your C43 estate?

Have you had a response from your dealer about all season tyres for your C43 estate?

No not yet but he is fully aware that my car -along with all the other cars- have this problem so have formally told him and will see what happens. My guess is that this will be down to good will from the dealer as MB say it's just for GLC vehicles and not the C Class and -as yet- no one seems to have put this to the test. For those that are suffering but not reporting this to their respective dealer it will be difficult for them when they have clocked up 000's of miles to then complain to MB. Having said that those owners taking delivery during the summer months will probably be blissfully unaware of this problem until the back end of 2017 and the whole debate will flare up again.

For me it's not so much about the crabbing but whether or not my tyres will suffer from uneven wear which may be associated with this issue. I haven't don't enough miles yet to fully check whether or not this is an issue but when I've done a few 000 then will have them checked out -probably by the dealer I bought it from- and if showing normal/even wear will probably put this issue on the back burner for a while and enjoy my car throughout the summer.

As expected this topic is loosing momentum -no doubt- due to the milder weather and other priorities. Just as MB expected!!

I was considering purchasing a GLC C43 to replace my C63 but after reading about these issues I am reconsidering .......

For me it's not so much about the crabbing but whether or not my tyres will suffer from uneven wear which may be associated with this issue. I haven't don't enough miles yet to fully check whether or not this is an issue but when I've done a few 000 then will have them checked out -probably by the dealer I bought it from- and if showing normal/even wear will probably put this issue on the back burner for a while and enjoy my car throughout the summer.

Isn't the crabbing happening at low speeds and full lock? That's a tiny percentage of anyone's overall mileage do shouldn't cause excessive wear.

New owner as of yesterday with GLC C43 AMG and crabbing

Arrived early - Page 3 - Mercedes GLC Forum

The owner was aware of the problem prior to delivery and appears to be happy to live with it.

The Crabbing season appears to run from around Sept / Oct through to March / April. So at least 6 months and not just the winter months. Having said that, the All Season tyres may reduce the season of jumping & clonking - will have to wait and see.

Tony

Isn't the crabbing happening at low speeds and full lock? That's a tiny percentage of anyone's overall mileage do shouldn't cause excessive wear.

Yes that's my thinking as well but some threads give the impression that even with minimal crabbing some owners' front tyres are showing uneven low mileage wear which may be caused by the slightest right/left maneuver. Hope I'm wrong but will still have mine checked out after around 2000 miles or so.

Just spoke to customer services who told me this was only going to be a 'GLC issue' and was a 'characteristic' of the car. If any undue tyre wear was experienced I should go and have the wheel alignment adjusted. Lol.

Just spoke to customer services who told me this was only going to be a 'GLC issue' and was a 'characteristic' of the car. If any undue tyre wear was experienced I should go and have the wheel alignment adjusted. Lol.

Yep. Sent an email to MB CS and got a telephone call yesterday saying -as above- I then asked as the C Class clearly has the same 'characteristic' then why aren't MB offering the same 'fix'? I think MB CS operatives need to be briefed a little better as they couldn't give me an answer but said that MB are still looking into it...... Don't hold your breath. Its clear that C Class owners' who have been offered replacement tyres are getting them courtesy of the dealership not MB themselves so it's a "good will" gesture not an official MB fix. Can't see this changing any day soon.

Yep. Sent an email to MB CS and got a telephone call yesterday saying -as above- I then asked as the C Class clearly has the same 'characteristic' then why aren't MB offering the same 'fix'? I think MB CS operatives need to be briefed a little better as they couldn't give me an answer but said that MB are still looking into it...... Don't hold your breath. Its clear that C Class owners' who have been offered replacement tyres are getting them courtesy of the dealership not MB themselves so it's a "good will" gesture not an official MB fix. Can't see this changing any day soon.

As far as I'm aware if the repair doesn't work and your vehicle is under 6 months old you can request a replacement or refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I'd suggest if any GLC owner remains unhappy that their GLC is still crabbing then go for the refund, I understand some GLC's have been refunded under this act. In my opinion the tyre replacement isn't a repair it only suppresses the symptoms, I say this because returning to the original tyres results in returning to crabbing. Does this happen on LHD GLC's NO so the fault on RHD GLC's hasn't been rectified therefore every owner of a RHD GLC which is less than 6 months old has the right to request and be given a refund. Fortunately crabbing is minor on my GLC Coupe unlike some unfortunate GLC owners which are experiencing major crabbing issues, my 19" tyres are being replaced tomorrow, I wonder if the little crabbing I've experienced will be gone. The only issue I have is will the crabbing issue devalue my GLC or will the crabbing be forgotten when I sell in 2.5 years time.......

Last edited by a moderator:
On 12 April I took mine in as the sports exhaust stopped working. They said they'd found a fault code and were going to get in touch with AMG who would get back to us within 24 hours. 10 days later had heard nothing so called them and they booked it in for the work to be carried out in a weeks time. Still waiting for my all season tyres btw!

During this period my wife traded in her C250 for a Range Rover Evoque. While we were there I test drove a Jaguar XE S and absolutely loved it. They offered me £2k more than Mercedes had for mine 2 months ago so I ended up trading it in. I have to say, it's a lovely feeling going around mini roundabouts without worry now And the Supercharger sounds beautiful.

So, basically it's a goodbye and good luck from me. It's been a stressful few months and I hope you guys all get your cars sorted, so you can enjoy them without any hassle.

On 12 April I took mine in as the sports exhaust stopped working. They said they'd found a fault code and were going to get in touch with AMG who would get back to us within 24 hours. 10 days later had heard nothing so called them and they booked it in for the work to be carried out in a weeks time. Still waiting for my all season tyres btw!

During this period my wife traded in her C250 for a Range Rover Evoque. While we were there I test drove a Jaguar XE S and absolutely loved it. They offered me £2k more than Mercedes had for mine 2 months ago so I ended up trading it in. I have to say, it's a lovely feeling going around mini roundabouts without worry now And the Supercharger sounds beautiful.

So, basically it's a goodbye and good luck from me. It's been a stressful few months and I hope you guys all get your cars sorted, so you can enjoy them without any hassle.

How does an exhaust stop working...was it blocked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom