All confirmed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20211123_143610.jpg20211123_143627.jpg
That's the peel that Dave found

Can the dealer selling the car not sort the lacquer peel? Are they not willing to do that?
Or if they drop the price do you know a good body shop who could sort it for you? Seems a shame to let it go if the issue can be sorted?

Can the dealer selling the car not sort the lacquer peel? Are they not willing to do that?
Or if they drop the price do you know a good body shop who could sort it for you? Seems a shame to let it go if the issue can be sorted?
That's what I'm hoping, but I am looking at alternatives as well.

Lovely to see forum members helping each other out in 'real life'!

Unfortunately if the dealer has not made this paint peeling obvious and clear to you then IMHO they're not to be trusted on any matter, and I'd walk away too. Sorry.

Edit: Further, as explained already, if this is fire opal red, then it's unfortunately a common issue with this colour and could spring up elsewhere on the car.

Ok, so I have narrowed it down to 2 cars. One is a Sport, 37k but 140bhp at £9999, the other is a SE Exec Coupe but a Sport look-alike, but how would the ride compare? I don't want soggy. I have a 3rd dependant, but it's £500 more but is exactly the spec I'm after

Heeeeelllllp

Gents:

With the car not being up to scratch, it has lacquer peel in two places on the drivers door, I have a quandry.
Do I

A) Get him to drop the price and get the car seeing as I can't refund tickets etc and if so, how much?
B) Buy the 4dr AMG I drove on Saturday for £9600, same colour/spec, 44k, FSH all Merc, but needs 2x tyres and a service, private sale
C) Buy a C200 Sport 140bhp with 38k, 1 owner but may need brakes doing (advisories on last MoT, asking dealer if they have been done) and remap to 170bhp?

Other than that, mu choices are limited. There is a SE Coupe but it's not an AMG spec, it looks great, but would I just spend all my time thinking "it's not an AMG" lol Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale
If B is spot on, the paint has already been sorted, and it really does have FMBSH then I would stretch to that. It’s not ideal spending money on a car soon after buying it but at least you have a choice in who/what/when it’s serviced, and which tyres are fitted.

Ok, so I have narrowed it down to 2 cars. One is a Sport, 37k but 140bhp at £9999, the other is a SE Exec Coupe but a Sport look-alike, but how would the ride compare? I don't want soggy. I have a 3rd dependant, but it's £500 more but is exactly the spec I'm after

Heeeeelllllp
Only you can judge whether the extra £500 is justifiable; but if the car is otherwise spot on and it’s the spec you want then I would personally go for that one, as long as I wasn’t overstretching myself.

Walk away from the red one if they haven't sorted it to try and sell it, i would run for the hills. I think deep down you know what one £500 is a lot of money but if its the better car thats the one. Good luck let us know which you decide and stick up some photos when you get it :banana:

If B is spot on, the paint has already been sorted, and it really does have FMBSH then I would stretch to that. It’s not ideal spending money on a car soon after buying it but at least you have a choice in who/what/when it’s serviced, and which tyres are fitted.
To drive, it's spot on, but his wife has used every kerb in Glos to help stop, paintwork looks good with no lifting or marks. and the interior is bang on. Miles are low and I've seen the history, I just worry about having no comeback if it goes boobs up in a month (not that it should). The spec is nice, the pan roof is the nicest bit.

The 3rd one isn't prepped, so they can't turn it quick enough.

How about the SE Exec Coupe for ride? Is it a massive and very noticeable difference?

Walk away from the red one if they haven't sorted it to try and sell it, i would run for the hills. I think deep down you know what one £500 is a lot of money but if its the better car thats the one. Good luck let us know which you decide and stick up some photos when you get it :banana:
I have indeed said I want a deposit refund. They offered to fix, but I don't trust them now

Apologies, I thought that you'd already bought it when you posted.

You asked about options; with peeling lacquer and given the choice I would not buy it. Fire Opal Red is renowned for that and has been for c10-years. Many have been resprayed, either partly or fully by MB but the finish on that one looks poor.

Re 'AMG', as you're talking about a pre-owned car and not a 'proper' AMG (with all due respect to those who have the AMG/Sport trims/models), I would concentrate on condition alone, not trim.

I might regret not buying a 'proper' AMG, ie SL63, E63, C63 etc if that was what I wanted but if you're talking of AMG 'sport' type models, it's mainly trim, generally cross-drilled discs, perhaps 18" wheels rather than 17", 'AMG' styling front/rear bumpers and sills, possibly sports suspension but basically the same car. It varies from model to model and in some cases, ie the V6 engines, even the SE has the sports suspension set up, if not the cross-drilled discs (but still vented).
Is the 200 you refer to petrol or diesel?

My two pennyworth: I'd wait for what I wanted, ie 2 or 4-door, diesel or petrol etc. and buy purely on condition and not be too fussed about trim level, unless something was a must-have.

Apologies, I thought that you'd already bought it when you posted.

You asked about options; with peeling lacquer and given the choice I would not buy it. Fire Opal Red is renowned for that and has been for c10-years. Many have been resprayed, either partly or fully by MB but the finish on that one looks poor.

Re 'AMG', as you're talking about a pre-owned car and not a 'proper' AMG (with all due respect to those who have the AMG/Sport trims/models), I would concentrate on condition alone, not trim.

I might regret not buying a 'proper' AMG, ie SL63, E63, C63 etc if that was what I wanted but if you're talking of AMG 'sport' type models, it's mainly trim, generally cross-drilled discs, perhaps 18" wheels rather than 17", 'AMG' styling front/rear bumpers and sills, possibly sports suspension but basically the same car. It varies from model to model and in some cases, ie the V6 engines, even the SE has the sports suspension set up, if not the cross-drilled discs (but still vented).
Is the 200 you refer to petrol or diesel?

My two pennyworth: I'd wait for what I wanted, ie 2 or 4-door, diesel or petrol etc. and buy purely on condition and not be too fussed about trim level, unless something was a must-have.
No worries, it's been a pain this, but I've settled on the C200. Dealer is servicing, MoT and 2 tyres, front pads and discs all done for me to collect tomorrow. With only 37k miles and really nice condition, I couldn't refuse. insurance is a touch cheaper (I'm old so there's that advantage), interior is spot on, video walkround looked great, guy is an enthusiast and it's dealer plus one owner since 2012. MoT history backs up mileage and they are acting on previous years advisories. I've gone up to the top end of my budget, but for the right reasons. I realised I wanted a bit of a unicorn in some ways. This ticks the boxes for me.

That paint put me off plan B as it was the same colour. I know it's yet another black Merc cliche, but hey!

99783cd8b6d84cf49dff963a8ee23629.jpg

Yea, that looks nice. Always buy the best you can afford, if you buy a good one and look after it when you sell it you will be selling a good one. If you buy one you need to throw money at straight away you will always be throwing money at it trying to keep up. Good luck with it and Happy motoring.

On the face of it you've made a sound choice: your 'B' option , although having the benefit of a pan roof was by no means standard with the 350 looky-likey exhaust and despite the info in the ad, appears not to have either ventilated or even heated seats. And whilst I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure it isn't "Diamond White" either 😒 If they can't be bothered to get the ad details right.......
The black C200 looks smart - more pics when you get it please 👍

On the face of it you've made a sound choice: your 'B' option , although having the benefit of a pan roof was by no means standard with the 350 looky-likey exhaust and despite the info in the ad, appears not to have either ventilated or even heated seats. And whilst I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure it isn't "Diamond White" either 😒 If they can't be bothered to get the ad details right.......
The black C200 looks smart - more pics when you get it please 👍
Yeah it didn't lol. Or DAB, which he said it did. I didn't mind as he did say he wasn't a car person, until it came to price...

But man oh man, I did love the roof :)

Yea, that looks nice. Always buy the best you can afford, if you buy a good one and look after it when you sell it you will be selling a good one. If you buy one you need to throw money at straight away you will always be throwing money at it trying to keep up. Good luck with it and Happy motoring.
The dealer I'm getting it from also has a Porsche Boxter on a W plate with only 5k miles on

I will not be distracted, I will not be distracted, I will not, oooh, shiny

The dealer I'm getting it from also has a Porsche Boxter on a W plate with only 5k miles on

I will not be distracted, I will not be distracted, I will not, oooh, shiny
Interesting, do you have a link to the Boxster?

Interesting, do you have a link to the Boxster?

I'll have a look at it while I'm waiting.....

He did promise to let me have a little go as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom