All dashboard lights remaining on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pam0215

Car
CLK270 avantgarde
Hi, I have a 2004 CLK270 which has had a few problems recently but always of an oily nature, never electrical. Until today.
Started the car, drove half a mile or so and noticed the petrol light was on although There’s plenty of petrol. Then noticed most of the lights were on. Cue a return home. Stopped and started it a few times but they remained on. That was four hours ago. They’re still on. The car seems to be driving ok. How do I get these lights to go off and does anyone know what the issue is likely to be? All electrics work fine it’s just these lights. Thanks for any help you can offer x

Attachments

• 0942962D-8C8D-4C71-953B-98837E23EF99.jpeg
    0942962D-8C8D-4C71-953B-98837E23EF99.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
You say that all the electrics work fine,have you tried everything,heater blower, 12 volt outlet ,see if soemthing does not work,thats the first thing to do.

You say that all the electrics work fine,have you tried everything,heater blower, 12 volt outlet ,see if soemthing does not work,thats the first thing to do.
Thanks for helping. I’ll check everything and update. I might take it out for a run too now the roads are quieter and see how it feels.

I'd remove the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect to see if the errors have gone.
Next step would be to check the battery voltage. Low voltage seems to bring up all kinds of spurious messages on a Mercedes.
Should be 12.7v for a fully charged battery with the engine off.

I'd remove the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect to see if the errors have gone.
Next step would be to check the battery voltage. Low voltage seems to bring up all kinds of spurious messages on a Mercedes.
Thanks. I’ll give that a try now. Just been out in it. Everything works as normal - heating, seats, mirrors, radio, windows, locks etc. No driving issues either so hopefully it’s just a battery glitch. Lights all still illuminated. Only thing I did notice is that although all dash lights are lit up, the coil to let me know I can start it wasn’t lit at all. Thanks again!

Sorry, quick question if you don’t mind. Is the negative terminal something I can disconnect without any tools? (Before I venture out into the driving rain then find I can’t do) 😁 thanks!

Youll need a small adjustable spanner. I can't remember if its a 10mm nut offhand.
Just loosen the nut and pull the clamp off the terminal.

Ok the glow plug light does not come on,if it did not start then it might be the relay or a fuse,but the car starts so thats not any help,taking the negative lead of the battery for a while will reset the car and it just might cure the problem,I syspect you do not have a meter to check the battery power,suggest you take it to your nearest Halfords and ask them to check the battery.

Youll need a small adjustable spanner. I can't remember if its a 10mm nut offhand.
Just loosen the nut and pull the clamp off the terminal.
No spanners so I’ve attempted with a pair of pliers. Got cramp in my hand and gave up. Hopefully the lights won’t kill the battery overnight and I can get sorted tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

Ok the glow plug light does not come on,if it did not start then it might be the relay or a fuse,but the car starts so thats not any help,taking the negative lead of the battery for a while will reset the car and it just might cure the problem,I syspect you do not have a meter to check the battery power,suggest you take it to your nearest Halfords and ask them to check the battery.
. Thanks. If it doesn’t flatten the battery overnight, I’ll go over to my dads. He’ll be able to disconnect the battery and should also be able to test it. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the further advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom