All fur and no knickers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I was reading some reviews on Amazon the other day about a mobile phone I was thinking of buying, and one reviewer seemed particularly displeased with their new phone and wrote: “....all fur and no knickers”.

WHAT?

Could someone explain to me how this phrase means ‘dissatisfaction’, (I’m making an assumption here).
and
Have you used the expression yourself?

Ta ever so

Not quite that phrase but have used "Furcoat and no knickers" to describe someone all flash and no substance, so it could be used to describe a phone that promises but fails to deliver?

Not quite that phrase but have used "Furcoat and no knickers" to describe someone all flash and no substance, so it could be used to describe a phone that promises but fails to deliver?
Yup.

"All fur coat and no knickers" = having a superficially positive appearance that is belied by the reality.

You don't want a Spoonerism with that name...

Please. Do not use Google Images

:eek:

How is this even a question? Well-established English usage, dating from the days when fur coats were "all the rage":

"Have an impressive or sophisticated appearance which belies the fact that there is nothing to substantiate it."

Example: ‘this government's policies are all fur coat and no knickers’

Source: Oxford Dictionary

be all fur coat and no knickers | Definition of be all fur coat and no knickers in English by Oxford Dictionaries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom