All praise the marketing boys........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
From a write up on the new A Class

"design to satisfy needs long before they're even expressed"

"a car's shape must be able to outlast the vagaries of time, and that only happens if it springs from a higher ideal"

"a fusion of fresh concepts moulded seamlessly together by a design language drawn from nature"

"they remind you of dune crests, blown into perfect symmetry by the desert wind"

Blimey, how have I managed this long without one? :dk::doh:

To be fair the new A is big step forward from the motorised zimmer that went before...

007-2012-mercedes-benz-a-class-reveal-opt.jpg

I agree, this will do big business for Mercedes, it will get people into the brand like no car has before.

I think it looks stunning, and already a couple of friends have said they will consider one when it is time to change. One drives a Golf and the other an A3.

"design to satisfy needs long before they're even expressed"= Its got a Mercedes Badge

"a car's shape must be able to outlast the vagaries of time, and that only happens if it springs from a higher ideal"= Its a Renault underneath

"a fusion of fresh concepts moulded seamlessly together by a design language drawn from nature"= It's built in Hungary

"they remind you of dune crests, blown into perfect symmetry by the desert wind"= facelift coming 18 months down the line!

------What do you mean blasphemy? ;)

Seriously I hope its a success but that will depend on it being a good car and not a lot of marketing twaddle.

Euro box. Pah. So now we have to walk round the front or the back to see what it is.

It could have been so much more. That body shell on a 204 chassis and RWD. That would have been good.

But this shows the direction the cars are moving, the W205 will be very interesting.

Sounds like they used Google Translate for the English brochure - it probably sounds better in German. :dk:

there is a hint of rover 75 in that roofline... (on the w205)

I agree, this will do big business for Mercedes, it will get people into the brand like no car has before.

I think it looks stunning, and already a couple of friends have said they will consider one when it is time to change. One drives a Golf and the other an A3.

Looks like the marketing people went to the design team and said 'You know the A-Class you're working on? What we really want is one of these" and handed them a picture of the 1 - Series.

Last edited:
But this shows the direction the cars are moving, the W205 will be very interesting.

Yep, it could be a FWD shopping trolley. Extend that floor plan a bit, shove a boot on, nice saloon car there thats C class sized.

There is some nervousness about the new A-Class at the dealerships. One told me they are certain to lose a lot of customers (ie old gimmers like me). They are by no means certain that this will be outweighed by new (younger) ones. A lot riding on it.

Why would you stop buying a brand because something different comes into the range???!!

Mercedes have always been innovators, that is what they do, but every time something new comes along everyone has a heart attack!

I remember when the W210 came out, there was uproar, then with the W212 the same again, but things have to progress.
Rover stuck to their guns design wise, they went, Jaguar stuck to their guns design wise and they nearly went, but someone stepped up and said "You know what, we had better appeal to the next generation as there are only so many buyers left who are 80 years old." It worked.

Not moving the game on is a very, very dangerous move.
I see it in retail every day, people who tell me 'That is not my customer, they like what we have always done." Then they tell me that business is crap and retail is finished. Errr, no it's not, you're just out of touch and buying the same stuff you were buying 10 years ago, things move on!!

Problem is when you get to around 60 you tend to then stick with that period, be it fashion, decor or just general taste, you think 40 year olds are kids, but remember it wasn't long ago that you were 40 and embraced the new. ;)

What isn't to like? 95% of punters won't know or care which wheels are driven, it looks like a BMW, has a MB badge and will be a thoroughly capable car that offends few.

Cheapish lease deals and a sporty model it will sell like hot cakes.

Proper MB cars will be available for the time being. Probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom