All things w168

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well my old pal with a W168 had no screen wash on the front or rear screens,into the garage it go's ,part ordered and he went this afternoon to have the pump replaced cost including fitting £25

Well my old pal with a W168 had no screen wash on the front or rear screens,into the garage it go's ,part ordered and he went this afternoon to have the pump replaced cost including fitting £25
Not bad I suppose given today's labour charges, but that is such a simple job he could have done it himself with very few tools .(assuming one has the time) :)

Well I doubt if he know how to open the bonnet,he has never messed with cars,the last funny one with him and the car was the battery died,after two days of looking he found it with help under the floor in front of the drivers front seat.he pays his money gets the car fixed,but that car has had very little go wrong with it.

Sorry, I had to chuckle re the battery location (no disrespect to your pal)
Fair enough, not everyone wants to even look under the bonnet.
Mrs Edd1968 I don't think has even washed a car since we've been together. ;)

OK so the twin twin exhaust project is now under way. I've just secured a set of oem chrome trim pieces and the pipework I will have fabricated...
I'll keep you posted.
IMG_20181102_223930.jpg
It will look similar to this... IMG_20181107_100147.jpg IMG_20181107_100110.jpg

Reactions: GLK
Here's one I made earlier ;)
I built it myself for my other car in the summer...
IMG_20181107_124710.jpg IMG_20181107_124652.jpg IMG_20181107_124741.jpg IMG_20181107_124813.jpg
I will just use the same company to Fabricate the stainless pipes to my design and replicate what the original car has on the other side.
IMG_20181101_205751.jpg IMG_20181101_205856.jpg

Carbon parts for the E55 is far more interesting. Had a 12 plate Passat tdi as a company car. Nice but just a bland ;)

Unfortunately I have returned my A160 to the dealer. The front subframe was so rotten that it is beyond repair and new front subframe was a must immediately (was quoted £600 for work only + Subframe). Also all front suspension parts had to be changed, and I mean everything between wheel trims, subframe and steering rack. It was all so rusty like the car was parked and left in a sea water for a couple of months. Note to myself, never buy a car when it's dark-ish and raining.
So, again, I am after W168 SWB petrol A140 or preferably A160, manual in a decent condition (I don't want to have to change subframes, starter motors, clutch kits or anything else which requires taking out the engine).

Unfortunately I have returned my A160 to the dealer. The front subframe was so rotten that it is beyond repair and new front subframe was a must immediately (was quoted £600 for work only + Subframe). Also all front suspension parts had to be changed, and I mean everything between wheel trims, subframe and steering rack. It was all so rusty like the car was parked and left in a sea water for a couple of months. Note to myself, never buy a car when it's dark-ish and raining.
So, again, I am after W168 SWB petrol A140 or preferably A160, manual in a decent condition (I don't want to have to change subframes, starter motors, clutch kits or anything else which requires taking out the engine).
That's a complete bummer! :(
We're wanting to sell my other half's A210. Not stupid money and not in need of a front end rebuild!
I'd hate for you to be put off them. I assure you they're not all like that. :)

I'm not put off. I really like the shape and what it offers inside. A210 is too thirsty @Edd1968 to be driven through London stop/start traffic, somehow I find 160 just in the middle between 140 and 210. There is this one A140 2003 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ A CLASS 1.4 A140 A+ SWB Hatchback 5dr for sale for £995 in Ilford, Redbridge which I'll go to see tomorrow. Now, I think, I know where to look.
That's not bad, not a bad mot history either, says its silver mind, that always worries me that it might have been resprayed.

Here's a nice one, good spec (missing heated seats though)
MERCEDES A140 ELEGANCE | eBay
This one does look nice but just made a call and guess what it's not his car, but his aunties and he knows nothing about it. Maybe genuine but again maybe not. My previous A160 also had crystal clear Mot history without any advisory and I know how bad it was. Not all Mot reports are true unfortunately.
That's not bad, not a bad mot history either, says its silver mind, that always worries me that it might have been resprayed.
That's something worth checking, I've noticed it too. According to it's VIN the colour is 757U CUMULUS GRAY METALLIC FINISH.
My E class is apparently also grey but it's actually more bronze (963U Indium Grey).

I must say, I like our A210. I needs a front subframe IMO and some body repair. We paid 450 6 months ago with 51k on the clock.

All original, just unloved for the past few years. I think I will will spend the cash to bring it up to its former glory, its all in the bodywork really. The underside of the car is rust free, apart from the front subframe....

I must say, I like our A210. I needs a front subframe IMO and some body repair. We paid 450 6 months ago with 51k on the clock.

All original, just unloved for the past few years. I think I will will spend the cash to bring it up to its former glory, its all in the bodywork really. The underside of the car is rust free, apart from the front subframe....
It'll be worth it, there are fewer and fewer left. A future classic.
Ours were unloved also, its a shame that they ha e been so badly treated.
Mines getting there. ;)

It'll be worth it, there are fewer and fewer left. A future classic.
Ours were unloved also, its a shame that they ha e been so badly treated.
Mines getting there. ;)

Ill take it to the body shop tomorrow then! Needs the steering column bearings looking at, and top mounts!! Will do that next week :)

Ill take it to the body shop tomorrow then! Needs the steering column bearings looking at, and top mounts!! Will do that next week :)
It's worth checking it's not just play in the spline joint behind the engine. Brilliant tip, take it apart and use silicon sealant on the spline, Stops all clunking. Don't let them tell you it needs a new column. Also lubricate the uv joint u er the steering wheel next to the clutch pedal.
Top mounts always seem to come with half the bearings missing 16 instead of 32. The bearing holders ha e a bearing every other hole. They're much better smoother with all fitted. - 5mm bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom