Allergic Reaction. Help/advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Just lately (last couple of years) I have started to notice a worrying reaction that I seem to have when I drink red wine. This has got notably worse as I start my annual practise for our Christmas Golf Society Dinner.

This is what is happening:

Gentle start to the evening. Two or Three large bottles of Cobra to help the spicy poppadoms down. Chilli Chicken starter followed by Chicken Madras and Mushroom rice and a Kheema Nam. During the main course, I where I like to open the 1st bottle of Red this leaves ample time for the 2nd bottle to be enjoyed over the sweet. As always a third bottle at home before retiring completes what should have been a perfect night.

This is now being ruined by sore guts the morning after.

Can anybody suggest an alternative to red wine. I don't want to destroy the curry flavors and obviously want to maintain my health for golf.

I have had the same problems at Golf Society dinners in my time. I strongly recommend more beer and less wine on a bottle for bottle basis.

Unfortunately I have also found that the morning after the dinner my putting is never as good as normal. Yet to find a solution to that conundrum.

You've been mixing your meats, so I'm not surprised your digestive system has given you this feedback. Next time, maybe you could try a plain or peshwari nan and that might do the trick.

Sounds to me like the poppadoms were off!

You'll be OK with the wine.

Have a very happy Christmas.

I think the rice may be soaking up the alcohol in the wine and then releasing it en masse when it breaks down in the stomach juices, best to give the rice a miss and have Bombay Potato instead.

I have found the best way to avoid having similar allergic reactions in the morning is to increase the amount of wine consumed, so they take place in the afternoon. This means less time before dinner, which shortens the period of misery.

I have found the best way to avoid having similar allergic reactions in the morning is to increase the amount of wine consumed, so they take place in the afternoon. This means less time before dinner, which shortens the period of misery.

I like your thinking on this...

I will send you a few deepfried mars bars prior to your next dinner, just one will line the stomach (for several months) during this period you can eat or drink anything with impunity. Having said that, anything more acidic than battery acid may cause a little indigestion.

You should have the third bottle at the restaurant, never take your work home with you

It may also help a little if you put the toilet roll in the fridge before you go out for the evening.

Hangovers only happen when you're sober. Either don't drink, or don't stop drinking.

Sound to me you are drinking a bit too much for a night... if this is what you been doing for some time... its your liver and pancreas thats taking a BIG hit...
The sore gut may not be what it seems... it could be pain from pancreatitis...
Long term wise... loose stools may follow due to reduced pancreatic enzymes due to chronic pancreatitis....
sorry to be dramatic... but i seen enough of these where i work....

You're getting that reaction because you are generally eating a crap meal. The quality of food in some Indian restaurants is bad and therefore wont agree with you. They may use MSG which is disagreeing with you (it does with me as I had the same 'reaction' from certain chinese restaurants which I stopped frequenting) or the food has not been prepared properly. The addition of the wine will cause you to have a less than favourable morning after with regards to your digestive system. Your best bet, if you are wanting to drink red wine or any other alcohol is have a large glass of orange juice before you go to sleep as the vitamin c will help your liver recover. Though if you are hammering it a few times a week (no matter how slowly) it probably wont recover much from the onslaught. My advice would be maybe:

a) Go to a different possibly better standard of restaurant
b) Go easy or avoid the alcohol altogether
c) Drink lots of water afterwards to make sure to flush out the toxins from your body and have less of a morning after 'dishonourable discharge'

The easiest way to avoid a bad curry is to make your own.

Eliminate the Cobra first. It's the only beer that gives me a shocking hangover on a small amount. Go for the draft 'cooking' lager or straight onto the wine next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom