Allowing car dealer to machine polish... or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonVitto

Car
Mercedes C180 CGI Sport
I'm buying a used Mercedes which is 4 years old. Overall in very good condition but has the usual swirl marks and some light scratches associated with general wear and tear and poor washing technique that I would guess 99% of the population put their cars through.

The dealer is going to machine polish it this week before I collect it.

I know from past research machine polishing can work miracles or it can be a disaster depending on who does it.

I know a car detailer who I trust could do a good job on it without inflicting more damage to the paint.

So the question is, do I tell the dealer not to bother and take it to the detailer I know (which will cost £££). Or do I not interfere, leave the dealer to it and then take it to my detailing contact if I'm not happy with it. I'm happy to do the latter providing the paint isn't buggered and I don't know how likely/unlikely that might be...

Thanks

DonVitto

Last edited:
How can anyone answer this question...we don't know who will be doing the polishing.

If it was me...I'd let them do it.

Let the dealer do it, if your not happy with the outcome, walk!

Just express your concerns with the dealer and ask who will be doing the work? They still have to take your cash!
Tony.

Don Vitto, if it was me I would let the dealer do it and if it came out bad then I would send your boys, after all you are a mob boss

The MB dealer i bought my car from didn`t have their own bodyshop and brought in a third party to do the polishing etc.

I had to get a blemish (sunscreen handprint) removed from the cars rear quarter and had to take it back to them to do the work when their paintwork guys were onsite.

Kenny

I would be amazed if they actually did this themselves. A friend used to have a bodyshop and most of his work came from the local BMW and Audi Dealerships.

Scary how many 'brand new' cars went through his workshop.

I'd also let the dealer handle it. You can virtually guarantee it won't be them doing the work themselves, and you'll get to inspect the job they do when you pick up the car.

Thanks, I will leave them to do it. I should add it is not a main dealer, rather a general used car dealer and I think they have their own "detailer" / car cleaner / valleter on site. They are dealing in prestige marques though.

The reason I asked the question is because I understand you can cause damage to the paintwork with incorrect use of the machine. Furthermore the filler used in the polish often hides said damage until later on once the car has been cleaned a few times.

Perhaps I am worrying too much.

Thank you,

DonVitto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom