Alloy refurb - no lacquer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tbourner

Car
AMG A45
My alloys need refurbing, the polished front is pitted and horrible. The mobile refurb bloke said he'd diamond cut the face to take off the lacquer and bring it back to a good finish, then we just need to use wheel sealant to stop it happening again. He said re-lacquering would mean it would just happen again in future.
Does anyone else do this? How often do I need to use sealant is it like wax on the car?

Regular washing AND polishing AND sealing should do the trick particularly in the winter,
(the dreaded salt) :rolleyes:
Somebody might know different though. :)

My alloys need refurbing, the polished front is pitted and horrible. The mobile refurb bloke said he'd diamond cut the face to take off the lacquer and bring it back to a good finish, then we just need to use wheel sealant to stop it happening again. He said re-lacquering would mean it would just happen again in future.
Does anyone else do this? How often do I need to use sealant is it like wax on the car?

If you're going to diamond cut the face, but not re-lacquer the wheel, then surely you have partially exposed alloy wheel metal? The big problem with diamond cut wheels pitting and worming is when the lacquer gets a hole and starts to lift. If you have an entry point on the entire face of your alloy for the lacquer on the non-diamond cut part to lift, then I can only see that the wheel is going to end up in a dreadful state in a pretty quick time?

I don't know, I'm trusting the wheel guy at this point, he's got good reviews and everything but him saying I need to use sealant makes me think it'll just be my fault in future.
I'm still trying to convince zoe to let me buy the black forged AMG alloys anyway so maybe destroying these is a good idea! :D

I don't know, I'm trusting the wheel guy at this point, he's got good reviews and everything but him saying I need to use sealant makes me think it'll just be my fault in future.
I'm still trying to convince zoe to let me buy the black forged AMG alloys anyway so maybe destroying these is a good idea! :D

Just do what I did when I got some lacquer troubles, get them powder coated!merc.jpg

I went with powder coat on my wheels which were previously diamond cut. Much longer lasting finish, although I do prefer the look of diamond cut.

Likewise, I went with shadow chrome powder coat so you still get the two tone effect of diamond cut but much more durable.

Powder coating can often hide a number of minor imperfections and is not to pricey.
You tend to get what you pay for.
In the past, I've had old MB wheels shot-blasted and re-sprayed.
It was OK for a couple of years, but - Then the winter salt got into it, and it started to look shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom