Alloy Wheel Balancing Weights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

On my C240 I have new alloys. Now these seem to shed balancing weights like there s no tomorrow. I have now been back twice to the tyre/wheel shop that sold me the wheels to have them re-balanced. This within two weeks and not including the original fitting.

Each time I have weights missing. Each time they carefully clean the inner rim with some solvent and a clean rag. Each time they have a check to ensure that the weights are stuck on. I leave to head up the road and....BOOM rattle rattle as I shed a weight (or two) I actually hear them hit the inner arches of the floor of the car.

Now I notice that the inner rims have a sort of lathe marking all around and are not perfectly smooth. Could this be the issue? Are there better weights that could be used. I am now uncomfortable going back to the tyre place as I can see them looking - like Oh No it's him again.

Anybody else suffer this.

I think your problem might be what we experienced, it is the adhesive contact that attaches the balance weights to the pad or tape that is the problem not the adhesive bond between the wheel and weights. We had a bad batch of weights that did exactly this and kept getting customers coming back. We sent the weights back had them replaced under warranty and no more issues. Might be worth trying another tyre place who have a different batch of weights?

If that was the problem the pad would be left on the wheel indicating the weight came off the pad.

If that was the problem the pad would be left on the wheel indicating the weight came off the pad.

I have now checked and the pad (or bits of it) were left on the wheel...

Bit miffed that the tyre shop didn't figure that one.

Thank you both for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom