Alloy wheel care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbz 6

Car
BRABUS 190E 3.6 24V and Skoda VRS
You can spend thousands on alloy wheels but what is the best way to clean and protect them from brake dust, road salt ect
What products do you use to clean and protect your alloys.

Best way to protect is by simply using car shampoo regularly and not allowing brake dust to build up - i.e., once a week. However, wash salt/grit off ASAP i.e. next day.

Some people wax the wheel with normal wax that they would apply to body work/paint work.

PS. I feel sorry for people who have polished lips on their wheels this winter (the salt/grit will attack them straight away if not washed off ASAP…). :devil:

:) I was just about to ask the same question. The Mercedes-Benz dealer has just replaced all four of our alloy wheels. I have just washed them in a strongish solution of car shampoo and looking at all the goodie's the dealer gave us is an aerosol can of alloy wheel protector NOT alloy cleaner. I am a bit apprehensive about using this 'protector' simply because of the awful reputation that most alloy wheel cleaners have. Has anyone any experience of Supraguard Alloy wheel protector?

At present I am taking off each wheel nut and plonking copiuos amounts of car polish in the hole simply to protect the metal. My intention is then to plaster the wheels with lots of wax, particularly on the inner side?

Just like mbz 6 I would appreciate any tips.

Regards,
John

Glojo: Your alloy wheels are called Ankaa and are a nightmare as the entire finish of the face of the wheel is polished. Just use car shampoo and wax the face of the wheel. Inside of the wheel is not as important but if you can then also wax that.

Make sure that you do the bolts up to the correct torque afterwards.

Is this distrust in the dealership John? Surely not. I'm sure if you used an official product and it had an adverse effect, your friendly dealer would be sure to resolve everything in a satisfactory manner as you would expect from Mercedes-Benz!

I expect the spray is nothing more than some sort of spray on wax or similar barrier product. Would be careful using it with the wheels mounted if it were me.

An all over wax followed by regular shampooing is the way to go. If they wheels are already too dirty a once off application of a alloy wheel cleaner thoroughly rinsed off afterwards won't do any harm on normal painted and laquered alloys IMO.

Spray the insides with Mr Sheen, but don't wipe it off. It makes removing the dust much much easier the next time around.

Flash said:
Make sure that you do the bolts up to the correct torque afterwards.
Hi Flash,
I have just asked that same question. My manual states 130nm, but that is crazy tight. Most folks on this forum are talking about 110nm which is a figure I can just about tolerate.

Graham230K said:
Is this distrust in the dealership John? Surely not. I'm sure if you used an official product and it had an adverse effect, your friendly dealer would be sure to resolve everything in a satisfactory manner as you would expect from Mercedes-Benz!
;) They were kind to give me the stuff, but I am simply very wary about using this particular product.

The old wheels were reguarly washed\polished, but the front inner sides were quite pitted.

I love to take the wheels off, but the tyre pressure sensors will need resetting and 'she that must be obeyed' has problems with the procedure.

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. Mr Sheen won't stop screaming. Having watched the video clip posted on the forum of an octopus going through a 1" diameter hole, I fail to see why Mr Sheen cannot squeeze through the gaps in our wheels! :) ;)

Thanks again everyone,
John

Hello,

glojo said:
Hi Flash,
I have just asked that same question. My manual states 130nm, but that is crazy tight. Most folks on this forum are talking about 110nm which is a figure I can just about tolerate.

Mercédes spécifications are now : 130 nm instead of 110 nm before.

Tioneb ;)

tioneb8 said:
Hello,

Tioneb ;)
Thanks very much for that. It would certainly be a challenge for anyone with an ordinary wheel brace to undo a nut which is torqued down to 130 nm

Regards,
John

John
Get your wheels off and clean inside and out then definately do apply the Supagard wheel protector, it is brilliant.
After this apply a wax coating to help even more.
Never use any wheel cleaner or even car wash detergent if possible. Wash your wheels and the rest of the car with car wax in a bucket of cold water. This will remove the dirt and replenish the wax coat without stripping the old wax off.
Only use detergent as a last resort.

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
I expect the spray is nothing more than some sort of spray on wax or similar barrier product.
Supagard is a paint sealant and is very good if applied to clean surfaces. Spray on, smear around with a cloth, leave to dry, the longer the better, wipe off.

Supaguard is the preparation/cleaning/sealing process used by many M-B dealers on "Approved Used" cars prior to delivery to the customer. It covers the whole of the interior/exterior including leather seats etc - I still have the nice holdall with bottles/cans of all the various products that came with my R129 from M-B Eastbourne:
range.jpg

Have to say though that my R129 leads a pretty sheltered life, and all I've used so far is the shampoo!

I hope you're not thinking of using that cakky sponge on your paintwork, it'll leave horrible swirls.
Sheepskin or microfibre mits are the way to go.

tioneb8 said:
Hello,

Tioneb ;)
Cos they is bigger bolts!

Flash`s comment regarding polished lip wheels is so true!

hence ive stuck on a set over winter with no polished bits. the mono2`s are sitting nice and clean in the garage ready for summer again! :)

I usually give the wheels a good clean with shampoo and if i have time apply some autoglym super resin polish, makes it alot easier wiping brake dust off

Flash said:
Best way to protect is by simply using car shampoo regularly and not allowing brake dust to build up - i.e., once a week. However, wash salt/grit off ASAP i.e. next day.

Some people wax the wheel with normal wax that they would apply to body work/paint work.

PS. I feel sorry for people who have polished lips on their wheels this winter (the salt/grit will attack them straight away if not washed off ASAP…). :devil:

I just wash my wheels every week with cold water, using a sponge. Wheels lookgood

I use wonder wheels (by CARPLAN) to get all of the crap of, and then wax them with my standard car wax. Works well for me weekly...

Wonder Wheels every week ? :(

Bad news for your wheels ManJ .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom