Alloy Wheel Home Refurbishment ie Respray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can’t recommend them personally as I’ve not used them myself, but on price ‘City Powder Coating’ seem very good value for money. I think @clk320x has used them previously and seemed happy :)

Likewise, I also remember another forum member, @Bobby Dazzler recommended me ‘JP Alloys’ who were also midlands based and seemed to have all the right kit for modern diamond cutting services too - I would probably have been keen to try them if they were nearer to me. They seem worth a look :cool:

Sadly I found earlier this year ‘Pristine’ wheel refurbishment who were in Milton Keynes have stopped trading - they were the best I have ever found, literally perfect in every way from communications, to the service, quality of the work and packaging were all as good as it gets.

Hope the first two suggestions give you a start :thumb:

Yes massive recommendation for City Wheel Refurbs from me, great value for money and perfect finish. :) I’ll try to find the thread I posted - I had some photos of my wheels on there once finished..

Ju
JP Alloys is in Cannock, you might also try Reflections in Cradley Heath. Reflections don’t Refurb them themselves (I think they use JP Alloys) but they will ceramic coat and may pick-up/drop-off too. They’re closed at the moment but worth getting a price from their website.
Just had a look on the website, powder coating would be £65+vat. I have just seen they can repair buckled wheels too, I had a slight buckle on a rear and it took me ages to find a oem replacement so I now have it sitting and waiting to be fitted (these IV alloys are getting pretty rare, new ones are no longer available). I should get the damaged one repaired too that way I have a good spare if I decide to let the back slide out too much
:)

Yes massive recommendation for City Wheel Refurbs from me, great value for money and perfect finish. :) I’ll try to find the thread I posted - I had some photos of my wheels on there once finished..
Perfect, thanks and look forward to seeing pics 👍

T5R,sorry for hijacking your post!

your wheels are coming along great. Looking forward to the pics once all done.

Ju

Just had a look on the website, powder coating would be £65+vat. I have just seen they can repair buckled wheels too, I had a slight buckle on a rear and it took me ages to find a oem replacement so I now have it sitting and waiting to be fitted (these IV alloys are getting pretty rare, new ones are no longer available). I should get the damaged one repaired too that way I have a good spare if I decide to let the back slide out too much
:)
I happen to know who does the buckle and welding repairs for them. If all you need is a buckle repair and no “visible” paint or cutting them he can do it.

He repaired a caravan wheel which split for me and did a superb job. He flattened the weld and repainted a patch to conceal it. The weld was on the barrel and so not easily seen - the slight difference in paint colour which would be seen under his bright lights was not visible when fitted on the caravan.

I’m sure I remember forum member ‘Developer’ having a quick visit to a wheel straightening place, who I guess would have been close by too - possibly even the same firm.

I happen to know who does the buckle and welding repairs for them. If all you need is a buckle repair and no “visible” paint or cutting them he can do it.

He repaired a caravan wheel which split for me and did a superb job. He flattened the weld and repainted a patch to conceal it. The weld was on the barrel and so not easily seen - the slight difference in paint colour which would be seen under his bright lights was not visible when fitted on the caravan.

Would you be able to provide me with the details please? I do not think the alloy that has the buckle needs any refurb work doing to it.

Thanks

Here's my video on a home DIY refurb, hope it helps:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used Mercedes 744 Brilliant silver

Thank you - an excellent video for beginners, personally I use a small LPH80 gun, you can fade in smaller damage very easily if using original colour with that if you have done enough prep work and develop any small skill level.

Would you be able to provide me with the details please? I do not think the alloy that has the buckle needs any refurb work doing to it.

Thanks
Sent you a PM

Sorry for delay here’s mine done in chrome silver...
380-DFAF1-2-AEE-4-E4-F-8595-A11-E859053-D9.jpg

and here in standard silver with medium sparkle..
0858751-D-C6-D1-442-F-A618-AA762794-FDD1.jpg

I bought 8 wheels in total and still have them laying around as I couldn’t decide on the colour :oops:

A proper professional job for £25/wheel (19”) or £20/wheel (18”)...at these prices why bother with DIY refurbs? :)

Sorry for delay here’s mine done in chrome silver...
380-DFAF1-2-AEE-4-E4-F-8595-A11-E859053-D9.jpg

and here in standard silver with medium sparkle..
0858751-D-C6-D1-442-F-A618-AA762794-FDD1.jpg

I bought 8 wheels in total and still have them laying around as I couldn’t decide on the colour :oops:

A proper professional job for £25/wheel (19”) or £20/wheel (18”)...at these prices why bother with DIY refurbs? :)

They look great and City Wheel Refurbs is only 5-7 miles away from me!

I would never refurb curbed wheels . The shop is the place for damage repairs . And yes it took me a full week to do mine .I was lucky that my wheels were just missing the clear coat and some of the silver paint .The primer was just showing through with no curbe damage to the rims .Before and after . The spots are water from my car cover as i removed it to take picture.DSC02186.JPGDSC02373.JPG

I am just coming to the end of refurbishing the seven spoke wheels on mine, six days so far doing everything (almost) to the book....no wonder there were so many warranty claims on these wheels for rot, wish I had done the same when I bought the car.
Just lacquering tomorrow over metallic graphite from etech.
I’m only doing it due to the current shielding situation, probably cost £2000 if I work back to my last pay scale, but I’ve really enjoyed it.
Too soon to judge longevity of materials but impressed with the application.

I've DIY refurbed two sets of wheels in the past with end result success both times but would never do it again. Not worth my time, the cost of materials, and time time time to do it properly. Professional powder coat lasts is not as expensive as you may think and then you get a proper job inside and out.

And this is coming from someone who is a huge DIY fan and will just about try every motoring job if it can be done at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom