Alloy wheel losing air - refurb vs new alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

A question not about my car for once!

We have a car in the household where one of the (2002 Yaris with 14" rims) alloys is losing air, its had a brand new tyre fitted so we know its not that, the fitter also wire brushed and applied sealant but this has not helped so the options as I see them are:
1) Full refurb, we've found someone who gives a 2 year warranty with this
2) New alloy

We're leaning towards option 1, any thoughts?

Thanks

I'd talk to a reputable Co that do full refurbishment. Tyre off, strip to bare metal and powder coat...

Ask if they will strip, inspect and advice if they can identify what's causing the leak. Could be corroded seams/welds, rough edges/corrosion around the bead edge, cracks in the wheel itself. You really need to find the fault.

If that's not possible I'd perhaps be tempted to take a flier and have the wheel refurbished anyway. I had my 18" rims done for £65 each Inc VAT. 14" I'd expect to be a little less.

Just called a company and they suggested just doing the inside of the wheel as we're not too bothered about the cosmetics on this car, price is only £25 + vat so looks like the best option as they will strip back and repaint etc so this should fix.

Go to the breakers and get one (or two) , if the tyres are still inflated then the wheel will be fine.

Did the above with the boys Clio`s alloys , purchased two for £40 . One to use and the other to replace the next damaged wheel.

Kenny

Go to the breakers and get one (or two) , if the tyres are still inflated then the wheel will be fine.

Did the above with the boys Clio`s alloys , purchased two for £40 . One to use and the other to replace the next damaged wheel.

Kenny

I was considering that but was worried that could also have or develop the same issue, with the current wheel its not obvious until you fill the tyre, visually the tyre looks like its filled, its only when you check every few days you notice the considerable drop in pressure.

Are you sure that the alloy is at fault?
It would need to be cracked or porous to loose air.
Was the problem there before the new tyre was fitted?
I would have the tyre checked and also the valve.
I have experience of all the above possibilities but the wheel being at fault is less so than the other two.

Chances are that it's either the tyre not seated properly (due to rim corrosion not properly cleaned) or more likely it's the valve - stem old and not replaced, stem not seated properly or sitting on corrosion, valve has some grit in it or valve not screwed in properly before inflation.

If the wheel is damage free it's unlikely to be the cause and unless it's a cheap copy alloy it shouldn't be porous.

I had a slow puncture (1-2psi per week)

It took the tyre fitter nearly an hour to trace it to a thorn which had pierced the carcass...

Total cost, including the obligatory new valve....£20

Hi All

A question not about my car for once!

We have a car in the household where one of the (2002 Yaris with 14" rims) alloys is losing air, its had a brand new tyre fitted so we know its not that, the fitter also wire brushed and applied sealant but this has not helped so the options as I see them are:
1) Full refurb, we've found someone who gives a 2 year warranty with this
2) New alloy

We're leaning towards option 1, any thoughts?

Thanks

Used alloy will be about £20 at most, problem solved.

Thanks all, going to go for the internal refurb option at £25 rather then hunt around for a similar alloy, work is guarenteed too so seems like a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom