Alloy Wheel offset problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Houlis

Can somebody please help me. I have a Mercedes W211 E220 2006 & I have just been told by my garage that my alloy wheels are aftermarket & they don't fit properly causing vibration at 60+. The garage said the offset was wrong.

Is their anything that can be done to make them fit?

Is it dangerous to drive on these wheels?

My car has just passed an MOT & nothing was mentioned.

My email is [email protected]

Thank you
David Houlis

Wrong offset wheels alone doesnt cause vibration. It might cause some rubbing of tyre against body in certain wheel travel like full cornering or going over speed bumps and so on. On the other hand if somebody has tried to correct the wrong offset with cheapo spacers then that can cause vibration as the wheel would not be centered properly. There are proper spacers available who make the wheel spot on and eliminate all vibration. If the wheels are some really cheap thing made in china they might not be perfectly true and cause vibration but kind of think thatis bit unlikely..

My best guess is that you have a old fashion genuine "out of balance" situation and any tyre shop can do a good balancing for low amount for you in 30 minutes.. for maybe 20-30 punds ? at least I would try that before anything else .. try someone like Quickfit and similar..

My second guess would be that your garage offered to find you proper wheels .. :D

As above, get your wheels balanced first and while they are off the car check the inside of the wheel to find what offset they are. It will be ET followed by a number. Come back and post up the ET here.

The correct ET for a W211 E55 is 35 front and rear but unfortunately I can't say if that is for an E220 as well.

Another point to check, is if they are aftermarket they may have spigot rings fitted to alter the centre bore size. These will keep the wheel central on the hub, you may be missing one or more of these. They are only a few quid from Ebay, it's basically a circular ring which sits inside of the wheel. Quite commonly used to reduce the centre bite from 76 to 66.6 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom