Alloy Wheel Paint Match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I'd like to do a temp fix on my AMG III front, after kerbing it.

Does anyone know what the closest paint match would be please?

I recall seeing a previous post about a Halfords match.
008-3.jpg

I use a VW / Audi touch up stick for small marks on bright silver alloys:

The paint code touch up stick is "L 009 101" Chrome.

Also available as an aerosol.

I use a VW / Audi touch up stick for small marks on bright silver alloys:

The paint code touch up stick is "L 009 101" Chrome.

Also available as an aerosol.

That's very helpful - thank you.

What did you use in the end as I am in a similar situation? I probably wont go into a full refurb but need something to touch up.

I remember reading somewhere that AMGIII were sterling silver?.....but i might of dreamt it... 8Þ

Tony.

Where can you get sterling silver touch up paint from? Is the name sterling silver only used within Mercedes circles? Eg I can't go to a paint shop and request sterling silver paint can I? I could imagin the faces I would get at request.

I have phoned Mercedes of Ashford and they have never heard of Sterling Silver alloy wheel paint.

I have phoned Mercedes of Ashford and they have never heard of Sterling Silver alloy wheel paint.

Maybe they're powder coated colours?
I had the same problem when trying to find a match.
In the end the guy at my local Halfrauds checked it against their colour charts and the closest match he could find was Mercedes 783 Rifesilber Effect (I think) Here's a shot of the label, what do you think, can you read his writing? Anyway he mixed me a spray can of it and it's pretty damn close.

And a shot of a finished wheel. (Still with masking tape on).

The wheels on my W203 are/were available in Sterling Silver and Titanium Silver.

Mercedes alloy wheels | Genuine new 17" Mercedes Adharaz | fits Mercedes C Class Saloon W203 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

Mercedes alloy wheels | Genuine new 17" Mercedes Adharaz | fits Mercedes C Class Saloon W203 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

Sterling silver is correct for AMG wheels. It looks almost like they are metal.
I found 'aluminium' touch up from Halfords to be a good colour match if the rash isn't big.

I've just caught my (W211) Anka alloys on a kerb, had the same issue in the past with some touch up to stone chips just couldn't find a correct match.

Grumpyoldgit, that wheel colour looks real close to what I have and will give that a try as my wheels don't have visible metal flake in, almost a flay silver grey in colour really. Assume you used lacquer as well..?

Assume Halfords just need the name 'Mercedes 783 Rifesilber '

I've just caught my (W211) Anka alloys on a kerb, had the same issue in the past with some touch up to stone chips just couldn't find a correct match.

Grumpyoldgit, that wheel colour looks real close to what I have and will give that a try as my wheels don't have visible metal flake in, almost a flay silver grey in colour really. Assume you used lacquer as well..?

Assume Halfords just need the name 'Mercedes 783 Rifesilber Effect '

If you can find a helpful assistant they have colour swabs for all makes and they may come outside with you to find the nearest match to yours.

Yes mate, you're quite right. They mix it and put it in an aerosol. I gave them a coat of U-POL Acid #8 1K Etch Primer, followed by a couple of coats of silver, followed by 3 coats of lacquer. (I think).
Use light coats and allow each to dry properly before applying the next. I used Halfrauds clear lacquer.

I was in two minds about trying Simoniz Wheel Silver as it looks almost identical on a friends wheels.

U-Pol Etch Primer - also from Halfrauds

Last edited:
Great thanks, I have tried the Halfords wheel silver, looked a good match on the can but too bright when applied. I'll get some mixed for me, thanks for the reply. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom