Alloy wheel refurbishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for that. So permanent exchange wheels of the required spec are supplied, your tyres fitted and off you go. Nice service if you need 4 wheels doing.

I don’t mean to be cynical but just because Pristine was DC UK’s official agent to carry out wheel refurbishments for alloy wheels under warranty for corrosion does not automatically mean that Pristine do a first class finish! I have had feed back that refurbished wheels by Pristine were not as shiny as the OEM finish (were dull in comparison) and that the inside of the wheel was not smooth and made it difficult to remove dirt that would build up on the inside of the wheel when washing. However, these could also have just been a few isolated cases that I have heard of.

FLYER (a forum member) has used Pristine for his W208 CLK and would be able to share his experience.

I can now recommend Wicked Wheels... have just had set done on a W211 for a customer and the result is fantastic.. He got here at 8am and took him until 2.30pm... Would not hesitate to use again..

I can now recommend Wicked Wheels... have just had set done on a W211 for a customer and the result is fantastic.. He got here at 8am and took him until 2.30pm... Would not hesitate to use again..

The above sounds like what is referred to in the trade as a "touch up" - this is when just the front face of the alloy wheel (s) is re-painted without stripping off the previous paint with acid and treating it etc. A full refurbishment takes a couple of days at least and the entire paint/coating is stripped off the wheel (s) first prior to the various stages of painting/finishing of the wheel.

I don’t mean to be cynical but just because Pristine was DC UK’s official agent to carry out wheel refurbishments for alloy wheels under warranty for corrosion does not automatically mean that Pristine do a first class finish!
Hi Flash,
Your quite correct to point out that Pristine WAS...... the official agent. Mercedes-Benz have now gone back to swapping old for new on warranty claims. I have NO idea why this is, but Pristine are the 'ex' supplier :)

Regards,
John

hi just been quoted £65 + vat per wheel for 4, on the wifes xc90 via wicked wheels, this is a face refurb not full as well!!!:devil:

the only good things is they will it in a day so wont be without the car, pristine want £95 + Vat plus the wheels for 5 days.

The cant do exchange!!!

anybody know where i can get some second hand alloys :rolleyes:

thanks

kenny

I'm having my wheels refurbed by a friend in Wembley. £65 including VAT per wheel full inside & out.

Takes 1 week, I get spare pair wheels to run around on. I will post before and after shots and give feedback.

Ha, yes i am indeed, but for wheels that need to be touched up quickly, Wicked Wheels are fantastic.. I think the result on these wheels is much better than ive had from BJV in the past...

Ha, yes i am indeed, but for wheels that need to be touched up quickly, Wicked Wheels are fantastic.. I think the result on these wheels is much better than ive had from BJV in the past...

Jay are they cheap? I need one wheel touched up (about an inch of damage) and its just a very light scuff.

I had my wheel fully refurbed for less than I could have got it touched up. The only difference was more inconvenience, easily outweighed by having a better job done considering my wheel.

Jay are they cheap? I need one wheel touched up (about an inch of damage) and its just a very light scuff.

I think they charge around £60+vat to non trade customers...

but if its just a small amount of kerbing i can get these touched up for cheaper if you are local..

Well, got my wheels back from Pristine today and I am well chuffed. I insisted on looking at them before having them fitted or coughing up any money but needn't have worried.

They all came separately and securely boxed up with loads of protective packing and the finish is excellent.

The whole wheel has been refurbed, front and back and the back has been sprayed in the same silver colour as the front so the inside really shines through. Stick on weights on the inside so as not to damage the rim and I also bought shiney new centre caps from Murray Systems.

I will post some photos when I work out how to do it. :bannana:

Took my new wheels off yesterday, gave them a good clean and got some wheel wax on them (front and back).

I was amazed how quickly the dreaded black dust gets a hold as the fronts were already marked with deposits which didn't want to come off. I shall take them off and wax them regularly over the summer months to hopefully build up a good layer to protect them over the winter.

Anyway, as promised, here are photos of the wheels I got from Pristine. I am really chuffed with the quality. I paid £70 per wheel inclusive of valves, balancing, fitting and VAT.

Attachments

• wheel 1.jpg
    wheel 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 173
  • wheel 2.jpg
    wheel 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 172
Diy

Just a thought, but has anyone tried doing it yourself. If the paint is coming off the rim and the wheel centre is okay, then perhaps a clean up with some laquer over the top may just work......

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8273

Of course it would take a good days effort.....

Ian

Just a thought, but has anyone tried doing it yourself. If the paint is coming off the rim and the wheel centre is okay, then perhaps a clean up with some laquer over the top may just work......

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8273

Of course it would take a good days effort.....

Ian

Looks like an interesting way to resolve peeling laquer, but not sure how to match the paint colour and also if they need to be baked. Also dust might be problem until the new paint is cured.

I've done this to one of my wheels as a test. The polished outer lips looked shocking, water had got under the laquer and attacked the metal resulting in large miky stains bubling up around the rim.

I carefully applied nitromoors to the outside edge, stripped off the laquer and sanded then polished the rim edge with polishing mops. I'm noit going to bother re-laquering the lip, will just clean it regularly to see how it fares.

Quite pleased with the results. The wheel looks loads better. Just dont know if I can be ****d doing it to all of them as it took about 3 hours for the one wheel.

Just don't take anything more complicated than a touch-up to them. They made a right hash of my multi-piece wheels.

Just dont know if I can be ****d doing it to all of them as it took about 3 hours for the one wheel.

I'm going to have the laquer put back on my wheels.
They are a pig to keep clean and shiny.

I waxed the alloy wheels on my cars on Monday for the first time as they are immaculate anyway and plan on building up several layers of wax for protection. Because I regularly clean/wash my wheels without allowing the brake dust to build up the paint finish is still silk smooth to touch wotout any blemishes/baked brake dust. During every wash I also manage to clean the inside of the wheels on the W203 as I am able to squeeze my hand/sponge in between the spokes and also negotiate by getting on my knees on floor and accessing the inside of the rim from the inside and afterwards rotate the wheels have a turn - saves me from having to take the wheels off...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom