Alloy wheel studs instead of bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

normanr

Hi Guys and Gals
What do you think of these and has anybody changed to studs and found them ok they are for a C200 (202).
Ebay number 7989096085
rtCurve.gif

Norman

Attachments

• e6_1.jpg
    e6_1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 123
Never used them, but must admit getting sick of the standard painted ones.
There was a chap on this forum who was getting some made up in Stainless Steel. Not sure if he ever did. Great idea.

I cant see the benefit??

howard those chrome covers often get stuck on and can be a pain, especially on the side of the M1!

Ah !!

I can imagine that would put a downer on the day .... :crazy:

The snag with the plastic covers is that you need the instrument cluster type tools to get them off when the are deeply recessed, if they have got very wet and the bolts have rusted more (if that was possible) they can be near impossible to remove without smashing them.

The chrome bolts on my V70R are still like new

Hi Malcolm
I appreciate all comments on this forum but I would not put plastic caps on the bolts for exactly the reason you have mentioned,but would like comments on using studs instead of the bolts that mercedes supply.
Norman

Hi Malcolm
I appreciate all comments on this forum but I would not put plastic caps on the bolts for exactly the reason you have mentioned,but would like comments on using studs instead of the bolts that mercedes supply.
Norman

One advantage is that it could make it easier to get the wheels on, the ali post that was in my tool kit stuck fast and I had a hell of a job getting it out.

Must be a reason Mercedes designed the cars to have bolts instead of studs ? or they would have done it ... :confused:

I see ...

Would that be the only reason ? :confused:

I see ...

Would that be the only reason ? :confused:

Charging double the price of chrome bolts, must also be a good reason with a good repeat business as well every couple of years.

You can also guarantee some repair work by using bolts, when some poor guy uses the wrong ones on his space saver and cant get them out.

well thats 3 reasons

Sorry Howard, I cant come up with a technical reason, I will think of something in bed

Just a thought, but by having a common size threaded hole in the hub, wheel bolts with differing lengths (and seats) can be fitted to accommodate a wider fitment range of wheels? For example, the wider AMG wheels, steel wheels, normal MB alloy wheels etc.

That would be my guess :)

Will

Ha Ha ! :D

It's not important Malcolm , its just whenever i think of changing something, whether it's on the car or at home , i always think ' Well, they must have done it like that for a reason ....'

Nighty night ....

Just a thought, but by having a common size threaded hole in the hub, wheel bolts with differing lengths (and seats) can be fitted to accommodate a wider fitment range of wheels? For example, the wider AMG wheels, steel wheels, normal MB alloy wheels etc.

That would be my guess :)

Will

One up to you sir :):):)

This thread just shows the advantages that team works has over anyone working alone as I have done for the last 55 years, on a fault its easy to go off in the wrong direction, but here you get all of the answers that you cant think of on your own

I could not agree with you more Malcolm that is where this forum scores above the other Mercedes forums.

Always a good responce and lots of different views which as you say gives you a better chance to decide what to do.

Once again all thanks for taking the time to reply only a basic thing I know but some of you may have had a bad experience with using studs.

Norman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom