Alloy Wheels Tyres Deflating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jellafish

Car
E300 TD Estate 1998 7 seater W210
Recently replaced all 4 alloy wheels on my S210 with steel wheels and tyres.Sick of having to keep inflating them on a weekly basis because they were losing pressure.
Local garage buffed inside the wheel to try and cure,leak did not show in a tank of water,put down to slight ovaling creating slow leak.
Once steel wheels fitted tyre pressure remain constant.
Anyone else have slow tyre deflation with alloy wheels and does a wheel refurbish cure this type of problem.

I had a problem with a couple of wheels last year.
Simply got my friendly tyre fitter to remove the tyre apply some bead sealant then refit the tyre.
All sorted. Can go weeks before they need air.

I had a similar problem last year. The local garage re-sealed the tyre bead, but it still continued to leak slowly. Had them refurbed over the winter and they're back on now, with no leaks evident. The main problem seems to be that salty water creeps in between the bead and the rim, causing corrosion over a period of time.

As above, bead seal does the trick! Mine hardly ever need topping up now where as before I was doing it every other day!! Most tyre places have bead seal on a shelf in their fitting shop! Even the mobile guys do!

Bead Sealant is good for this. However some alloys have been known to be corroded or cracked.

Cracking is the most common reason, Pretty much every set of alloys I've had has cracked at some point. the only ones so far (touch wood) are the SL 18's I have on atm.

It's weird because I've never and I mean never had even a single alloy wheel crack on me.

I've AMG's , Brabus , mercedes , BBS , vw , Honda , you name it ... Never a crack

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

In the last 10 years, I have had all these alloys wheels blasted and refinished because they were losing pressure.
Tried using sealants to no avail
All were due to corrosion

W210 E300TD 1998 ... All 4 wheels

W210 E300TD 1998 ... All 4 wheels

W210 E430 2002 ... All 4 wheels

All wheels were subsequently cured of the problem ... As well as looking smarter.
No wheels were found to be cracked.

This happened with my wife's Rav4 until two years ago when I bought a can of Holts Tyre Weld...problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom