Alloys Corroded on 15 month old Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy4ls

Car
C220 coupe
Hi I was hoping to hear from anyone who has experienced a similar situation with their alloys.

I brought a brand new C220 amg sport coupe about 15 months ago on a pcp.

Whilst cleaning the alloys today I noticed corrosion around the central cap of the alloy where the merc badge is. (I have attached a picture below). Needless to say I'm pretty p**sed off that this has happened in only 15 months.

Has anyone else had this happen on such a new car? And if so did MB cover it under warranty? If not is this something that's relatively simple / inexpensive to fix? I have heard that MB can be difficult about covering this under warranty if the wheel is scuffed or curbed; this one is slightly curbed. But on my other cars even when curbed they have never corroded!

It would be great to hear from anyone who has had a similar situation.

image.jpg

That is normal for unpainted wheels. Take it into your dealer and get them to supply some new wheels.

Had the same problem on all four 19" AMG wheels of my W221.tried to claim on warranty but was told that it was normal wear and tear, probably due to a stone chip braking the surface and allowing the corrosion to set in, strange that the rest of the wheels were totally unmarked, didn't even offer a contribution. Got a quote for refurb. for £850 with no warranty as they were machine polished and painted for £350 with 12 months warranty. Will never buy AMG wheels again.

Paul

It's not specifically AMG wheels that suffer this. All diamond cut wheels do.

I don't even like the look of them... Let alone the maintenance of constant refurbs!

Two year old C Class coupe and all four wheels replaced for exactly the same fault. Press your garage to do the same

This coming week my 16 month old C180 AMG Sport Plus is going in under warranty to have both rear wheels replaced for oxidisation around the rims. Never kerbed or damaged, but around the rims there is a lot of oxidising evident under the lacquer. I just sent them a bunch of photos and they ordered up replacements right away.

The full set were already replaced last winter, so this is the 6th new wheel on the car. Check my post history for photos and details.

This coming week my 16 month old C180 AMG Sport Plus is going in under warranty to have both rear wheels replaced for oxidisation around the rims. Never kerbed or damaged, but around the rims there is a lot of oxidising evident under the lacquer. I just sent them a bunch of photos and they ordered up replacements right away.

The full set were already replaced last winter, so this is the 6th new wheel on the car. Check my post history for photos and details.

Blimey - I hope the car's on a 3yr PCP or lease and you're going to be returning it at the end?

It could get quite expensive if you hang on to it!

I have some corrosion around the center cap of one wheel. It started when the car was 6 years old, but more significantly after I had new Contis fitted.

I suspect that in my case it is due to the tyre fitter removing the centre cap using a flat screwdriver before mounting it on the wheel balancing machine (which is silly, because once the wheel is off the hub, the centre cap can be very easily pushed out from the inside).

Did you have new tyres fitted recently?

markjay said:
I have some corrosion around the center cap of one wheel. It started when the car was 6 years old, but more significantly after I had new Contis fitted. I suspect that in my case it is due to the tyre fitter removing the centre cap using a flat screwdriver before mounting it on the wheel balancing machine (which is silly, because once the wheel is off the hub, the centre cap can be very easily pushed out from the inside). Did you have new tyres fitted recently?

Mine look like they have had the same treatment. Amazing how something as simple as this doesn't seem to be known by tyre fitters and/or ignored in favour of a method that surely takes longer and is more fiddly!

Yep had all 4 replaced on mine 62 reg sport plus, last year, been waxing every couple of weeks since the new ones fitted, so far so good, I was told they will continue to replace any corroded wheel within the 3 year warranty providing there is no evidence of kerbing. get some decent close up digital pic's email them to the supplying dealer, then take the car in a and insist they are replaced.

Mine look like they have had the same treatment. Amazing how something as simple as this doesn't seem to be known by tyre fitters and/or ignored in favour of a method that surely takes longer and is more fiddly!

On my daughter's Golf the VW dealer blamed tyre fitters, then when I said they tyres had never been replaced he said someone must have tried to steal the wheel centres (which show no sign of damage - and if you tired to remove them with a screwdriver it's most unlikely you'd fail, they'd come off easily).

The VW dealer's problem, and I can appreciate this, is that they have to decide to change them, and then they send the wheels to VW. If VW reject, then the dealer is left to foot the bill. I believe MB do this now, too.

On my daughter's Golf the VW dealer blamed tyre fitters, then when I said they tyres had never been replaced he said someone must have tried to steal the wheel centres (which show no sign of damage - and if you tired to remove them with a screwdriver it's most unlikely you'd fail, they'd come off easily).

The VW dealer's problem, and I can appreciate this, is that they have to decide to change them, and then they send the wheels to VW. If VW reject, then the dealer is left to foot the bill. I believe MB do this now, too.

The procedure used to be that they would take photo's and gain approval from MB in this way. A good few years ago my warranty claim was turned down due to kerbing despite the corrosion being far away on one wheel (the other was approved - proof to me that it was not the kerbing).

I was fairly put out by this, and sent a pointed letter to the MD, asking what the value of a premium brand was when they act like a two bit Arthur Dailey. We came to an agreement that saw me make a modest contribution, and as my car had suddenly developed an urgent need for a gearbox, saw it and the wheels two weeks later.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I took the car to my local dealer, they were extremely helpful and have agreed to replace the two alloys on which there is corrosion. Didn't even need to kick up a fuss or push them to agree to a replacement.

Out of interest what cleaners and wax's do others use on their diamond cut alloys?

It looks like someone replaced the centre caps by levering with a screwdriver from the outside and damaged the laquer.

(Rather then by pushing the caps out from behind the wheel)

It looks like someone replaced the centre caps by levering with a screwdriver from the outside and damaged the laquer.

(Rather then by pushing the caps out from behind the wheel)

A jet wash can give a similar look.

They all go at the centre bore because the lacquer can't cover the sharp edge properly. A radiused corner would help.

I am not suggesting that one should not use only products that are suitable for alloy wheels, but....

When the wheel bolts rusted on my then 2-years old car, the dealer was quick to blame 'harsh detergents'. They did replace the bolts under warranty, but two years later the new bolts rusted again.

As others can confirm, rusting wheelbolts is a known issue on MB cars, yet the initial response from the dealer was 'detergents'. This apears to be their standard reply to all wheel-related issues - I would not read too much into it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom