Alloys damage, wheel nuts warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lawlessdj

HI
Just bought an 11 plate C250 CDI sport estate still under manufacturers warranty. The alloys look as if water has got behind the laquer or something (read this can happen) and a lot of the wheel nuts are rusty. Can these be fixed under warranty?
Thanks in advance
Dan

image-3641304695.jpg

image-3789788299.jpg

Wheel nuts yes, not sure about the lacquer issue but probably yes providing the cause isn't misuse, i.e. kerbing.

Wheel nuts yes
Wheels, if you kick up a fuss you may get them reconditioned but they will not come back polished.

Thats what happens when you go to the quick wash guys on the road, spraying acid on each wheel, its on the brakes as well, never worth it.

Why do Mercedes use such poor quality wheel nuts. I have never had an issue on any cars with rusty wheel nuts until I got a Mercedes.

Wheel nuts yes
Wheels, if you kick up a fuss you may get them reconditioned but they will not come back polished.

As above.

Your car will likely go through several sets of bolts under warranty - until the 3-year period expires which is when you'll have to start paying for them.

Oddly MB seem to think it is cheaper to keep replacing the bolts under warranty than to supply rust-resistant ones.

On the plus side they do replace the bolts (including the locking bolts - all four of them) with no fuss.

The wheels can be an uphill struggle.

Unless the bolts are stainless the wheel acid will kill them.
I have just fitted the late stainless cap type bolts, but will never let anyone spray acid wheel cleaner on them regardless.

Ok guys thanks for the heads up.
Will MB replace the nuts with non rust ones then? Or will it just be a pointless swap to the standard rust bound ones?!
Are MB alloys different from other alloys? I've never had an issue on previous cars having used hand car wash places before....
For future cleaning though, I have some autoglym alloy cleaner - would that be safe on them??
Thanks
D

All you need on your alloys is the same as the car body and just keep on top of them.
I don't think the alloys are any different but the wheel cleaners might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom