Almandine CL600 - New Car - New Member

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by SussexCL, Sep 19, 2018.

1. SussexCL

SussexCL New Member

Car:
    Mercedes CL600
    Hello,

Thought I would say hi. Not my first Mercedes, have had a first generation C63 AMG in the past, but a recent purchase was a 2000 CL600 in Almandine Black.

The CL is a car I have coveted for quite some time now, but it was always a V12 that I wanted, and always a ‘unique’ colour. A friend of mine told me about this particular car, and I quickly booked in a visit.

The owner was a collector of lovely Italian cars and had fallen for the CL in a whim, much as I was about to. It has 98,000 miles but the condition of the car shows it has lead a very privileged existence.

It has been put into use as my daily driver and ‘Station Car’, a role it perform, a few obvious faults aside, with aplomb.

0C8BA76A-DA12-4978-941C-1B2FF3D968DA.jpeg

2. C240Sport97

C240Sport97 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SL400 and 911 GT3
  3. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Lovely and Welcome :)

4. fabes

fabes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 350CGI Coupe and QQ+2
    Station car....?
    That?

Really :eek:

Very nice

C43AMG and MikeInWimbledon like this.
  5. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 ML350cdi Sport , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Welcome, lovely car

6. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Welcome. I bought a 2005 CL65 about a year ago and maybe driven it 60 miles since. Seeing your car is going to make me dig it out of storage and drive it

7. Major774

Major774 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E55 AMG
    Not bad... a V12 for a station run :D

8. ChrisHampshire

ChrisHampshire Member

Car:
    2004 S55K LWB
    MikeInWimbledon likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    SussexCL

SussexCL New Member

Car:
    Mercedes CL600
    Wow, in Almandine? That would be like the mothership.

Please do let me know if you are, or are in the future ever thinking of selling this.

10. OP
    OP
    SussexCL

SussexCL New Member

Car:
    Mercedes CL600

Ha ha, very well played!

And in answer to a few, understandably surprised people (@fabes @Major774 ), yes, my everyday car for driving into the train station. Not an ordinary train station I might add, we are in prime Sussex commuter belt and trust me when I say that a (purple) V12 fades into comparison with some of the machinery parked there. Several C and E63, Aston Martins, Porsche, Audi R8, Range Rovers etc.

To me life is all about driving different, and interesting cars. Cars that make you smile, that make you feel good about life, and most importantly put a shine on what can be, at times, a difficult commute. There has to be a reward somewhere. Am not sure I am the only one that feels that way either, as am usually accompanied by several loud exhaust start-up blares as I start my drive home with a great big grin on my face.

MPG is irrelevant really as just a 15 minute rural drive each way. Servicing costs are (hopefully) going to be no worse than my classic car.

Will be interesting to see how the electrics and battery fair with this regular, but short journey use, but anyone that has tips and hints specific to my big ship, do let me know.

Thanks, Tom

Smart320 likes this.
  11. alabbasi

Nope, in boring old 040 black on black. It lives in North Texas which i may also be a detractor for you.

I will hold onto it for a while. It only has 34000 miles which is why I'm so careful with it. My hail damage S55 has 150k miles and I drive it like I stole it.

12. OP
    OP
    SussexCL

SussexCL New Member

Car:
    Mercedes CL600
    I am not sure a CL65 could ever be described as boring! In the UK we have so few of them even made, I have absolutely no idea whether any were in Almandine, or a Designo colour. Always got my eye on the hunt for one!!!

13. alabbasi

I think less than 5000 were made in total so certainly a rare beast. I'm visiting my parents in London and driving the spare car (02 VW polo 1.2). I've determined that it's about all the power you could use for the current road conditions. I've also just discovered average speed cameras, but I suspect that the government is going to send me a letter and tell me all about it.

14. Timok

Timok Member

Car:
    E55
    Beast of a car !

15. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    I’ve just arrived back from a week in Lake Conroe, north of Houston, I think we got lucky with the weather, it only turned stormy on Friday afternoon. Fun on the lake with a Rinker speedboat we rented one afternoon, 200hp+ boat, inboard, power trim, etc - what a hoot. (Sadly the speedo was inoperative, but it certainly shifted well) and sadly the rental car was a SUV. No Star on it :(

16. alabbasi

Yep, it appears that I missed most of it. Although I saw it from my CCTV as the rain was driving the motion detector bonkers and spamming my emails.

Texas has some great lakes. Most of them are man made and built precisely for the run off from all the rain we get.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. PM me if you ever come by DFW.

17. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ), 2010 Brabus Smart ( Exclusive ) )
    Congratulations, enjoy. My Favourite Mercedes Colour. When i was looking for my CL55 Kompressor for over eighteen months in Almandine i found out the 55 Kompressor was never produced in Almandine, only the 500 and 600 where and as i didn't want Silver or Black i was very luck to have found one in Tanzanite with Alpaca grey interior.

What would really set your 600 off would be a nice set of Fully Refurbished AMG 1V 2Pc Wheels which i happened to have saved from my old 55 :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Alex and mattk1 like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    SussexCL

SussexCL New Member

Car:
    Mercedes CL600
    Aha, that would explain why I couldn't ever find a 55 in Almandine! Useful geeky knowledge as well for when I ever see one misbadged as an AMG!!!

Interesting to hear about your wheels. I am just considering my wheel options, one of mine is ever so slightly warped...Was toying either with the 19" AMG wheels or yours, which sound like those fitted to the CL65? Perhaps you might send me a private message?

Tanzanite is a gorgeous colour. Looked so long for a Tanzanite C63 AMG, but was not happy to accept one with the white or cream leather as it looked a bit funny with the black seat backs, carpets, dash. Always a huge fan of a non black-white-silver colour Merc. My C63 was Iridium Silver which really suited the bodyshape, highlighting just enough of the AMG bodywork.

Thanks for reaching out, Tom

19. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ), 2010 Brabus Smart ( Exclusive ) )
    I can't PM you as you don't have sufficient post's. I think you need 30 or 35 to be able to PM.

Yes they are the wheels that came with the CL/SL 65's as standard.