Almost over the SL55 blues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

Greetings all,

As a wary ex SL55 owner, (£110k from new, 41 non scheduled dealer visits - air suspension, electrics, hood etc), I was put off the brand for some time - even if the folks at MB did try and persuade me to get back behind the wheel with a significant head office funded discount.

I almost, (almost!) crossed back into BMW territory recently, tempted by the Gran Coupe, but not tempted by the hideous first year depreciation.

So here I am today, wounds almost healed and ready to take the plunge again.

Not sure what to get yet, although I find myself increasingly attracted to older cars - I was recently chauffeured to JFK in an immaculate W126 and fell in love with the build quality, space and simplicity.

Not sure this would be practical for central London, although great for European runs, assuming one is prepared not to eat and spend all remaining cash on fuel.

So, please excuse me whilst I poke around and have a look at members' cars. You probably won't find me commenting on anything recent, but you never know. And excuse any silly questions, remember, it's been a while :))

Thanks for letting me in.

Chris

Air suspension on an SL55?? You did have problems ;)

Welcome aboard, have a browse. There are many examples of 'older' Mercs on show here. :)

i hope you have a better experience with the older ones, less is more!

Welcome, I had a 126 and don't recall the petrol consumption being terrible.

Air suspension on an SL55?? You did have problems ;)

Welcome aboard, have a browse. There are many examples of 'older' Mercs on show here. :)

Cheers, yep, seen some beauties here. Seems that the new stuff and pre 90s are attracting all the money - some real deals here on CLK55s and the like, which fall into the gap in between.

Great intro! Welcome...
BlackC55 said:
E63 Bi Turbo or a 221 S-Class is my choice
Yup, certainly the first one is a sound choice ;)

i hope you have a better experience with the older ones, less is more!

yes but...

Older cars don't protect well, which is a shame because more kids would drive them, and appreciate our heritage if they had airbags etc. My son had blood cancer in 2012, thankfully in remission now - and given he's escaped death once, and I don't want to tempt providence twice, I won't let him near anything older than two or three years for that reason.

And, who wouldn't fall in love with a valve radio, or vintage Blaupunkt equipped classic, but Mercs from the early part of the century with all that bakelite appearance Comand (thinking SL and CLs in particular) are a real turn off.

But generally yes. There's some real stunners out there and in my view, much better looking than anything on sale from MB today, save the new S Coupe. (#loveit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, I had a 126 and don't recall the petrol consumption being terrible.

You know what? I've never driven one, making it a bit stupid of me to jump to conclusions. Thanks for the input.

chris

There are flights to New York now yer know. Much quicker! :D

126s are awesome.

yeah nice one - felt like we'd driven all the way what with the traffic out there.

126s are awesome >> agreed

Welcome I'm new here too, have just purchased a CLK55 AMG , great bit of kit, is 14 years old, so a classic almost ;)

Welcome I'm new here too, have just purchased a CLK55 AMG , great bit of kit, is 14 years old, so a classic almost ;)

I had a CLK convertible many moons ago and loved it. Swapped it for an SL55. Went in to buy a E Class estate and walked out £107k lighter. Wish I still had the CLK. Glad I lost the SL.

And 14 years old? Just getting into its stride and shame they don't make the car any more.

I was offered 35k off a new factory order M6 GC at 120k. Even then I backed out. Their GFV after 2 years was 31k.

I was offered 35k off a new factory order M6 GC at 120k. Even then I backed out. Their GFV after 2 years was 31k.

That's obscene. Mind you, I do like the big engined diesels, they look reasonably good value.

Welcome Chris,

Ive had 5 w126's awesome cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom