almost sold her!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sammysamosa

Car
clk 55 amg 2003, capri 3.0gxl 1973, capri 3.1 x pack
so i advertised my clk 55 amg in the autotrader ..its a 49k miles car ...bloke comes to see it and as i'm taking him for a drive i thought to myself 'you're making a mistake selling this'..... he offered me 9k i said no ... next day he calls to say 10k ( which is what i wanted) ... and i told him i've changed my mind i'm keeping it!!!..... what the hell can 10k buy???
phew that was close!

Attachments

• 42600329_1842882329098118_3220448293372821504_n.jpg
    42600329_1842882329098118_3220448293372821504_n.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 61
Obviously it's your car, your decision whether to sell and I have no idea how far the would-be buyer travelled to view it.

However, you went to the trouble of advertising the car and had this guy rung you, kept you talking on the phone for an hour with lots of questions, arranged a viewing where he spent ages looking around the car whilst asking lots more questions, accompanied you on a long test drive, negotiated, agreed a price with you and then phoned the next day and said "Actually, I've changed my mind, the whole thing's off" I think you would have been annoyed and would have rightly considered him a time waster.

Obviously it's your car, your decision whether to sell and I have no idea how far the would-be buyer travelled to view it.

However, you went to the trouble of advertising the car and had this guy rung you, kept you talking on the phone for an hour with lots of questions, arranged a viewing where he spent ages looking around the car whilst asking lots more questions, accompanied you on a long test drive, negotiated, agreed a price with you and then phoned the next day and said "Actually, I've changed my mind, the whole thing's off" I think you would have been annoyed and would have rightly considered him a time waster.

On first reading I had the same opinion as you have, but when I re-read the original post the guy did not offer the asking price and his offer was not accepted and he left.
He played hard ball and waited a day to offer the asking price and the car was no longer available, even at the asking price.

The disingenuous part of it is that the OP made up his mind while the test drive was in progress that he was not going to sell it; before any offer was made.

So we have to presume, as opposed to assume, that the intended buyer would not have been sold the car had he offered the asking price there and then; that brings it back to the highlighted portion of your original opinion

^ If only that happened..:rolleyes:

Most if not all of it did happen.

The car was advertised, the guy phoned, arranged a viewing, travelled from wherever, viewed the car, test drove it, made an offer, left, made an asking price offer and yet the whole thing was a waste of his time, money and effort.

I'm sure they'll find another one ;)

And it looks a very nice example in a rare colour.... I'd be keeping it, the good ones will start to climb soon....

Here’s where you’re completely wrong, he left having offered only 9k I said I wanted 10k ... at which point he said there’s another one at 7800 and said 10 was off his budget ...it was this point I thought sod it I’ll keep it .... when he called back late next day it was too late .. had he offered 10k on the day it would have been his
It was he that walked away from what is an absolute gem of a car
I was annoyed that his first offer was 7k .... from an advertised price of 10.500
Also his drive of my car was way over 45 mins which as you know ain’t cheap in a 5.5 litre

Here’s where you’re completely wrong, he left having offered only 9k I said I wanted 10k ... at which point he said there’s another one at 7800 and said 10 was off his budget ...it was this point I thought sod it I’ll keep it .... when he called back late next day it was too late .. had he offered 10k on the day it would have been his
It was he that walked away from what is an absolute gem of a car
I was annoyed that his first offer was 7k .... from an advertised price of 10.500
Also his drive of my car was way over 45 mins which as you know ain’t cheap in a 5.5 litre

No it can't have been cheap and I'm assuming that you paid to advertise it too.

So had you thought things through properly before deciding whether to sell the car you could have saved both of you time, money and effort.

On first reading I had the same opinion as you have, but when I re-read the original post the guy did not offer the asking price and his offer was not accepted and he left.
He played hard ball and waited a day to offer the asking price and the car was no longer available, even at the asking price.

The disingenuous part of it is that the OP made up his mind while the test drive was in progress that he was not going to sell it; before any offer was made.

So we have to presume, as opposed to assume, that the intended buyer would not have been sold the car had he offered the asking price there and then; that brings it back to the highlighted portion of your original opinion
I absolutely would have sold it for the asking price after the test drive
Had he offered 10k that night even I knew I was making a mistake I’d had sold it

Two very ambiguous words there - did it happen? Did it not? more importantly were you there? hence the "assuming" ..

No assumptions here....

The car was advertised, the guy phoned, arranged a viewing, travelled from wherever, viewed the car, test drove it, made an offer, left, made an asking price offer and yet the whole thing was a waste of his time, money and effort.

Thank goodness, I read the title and thought you meant wife or girlfriend.

That’s why I read the post.

Anyhow seems like you made the right decision on the car not the wife/girlfriend.

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom