Alpine summer destination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

We are planning our summer holiday, and would like any pointers as to where summer snow can be found.

Ideally we'd like to stay somewhere near a lake that has a cable car / furnicular access to a mountain with a bit of snow on top for the kids.

Any ideas would be most welcome

Thank you

If that's snow you're after, I'm afraid you won't find any in the summer. I come from the Piedmont region, which is close to Mont Blanc/Monte Bianco: no snow from April onwards, normally.

That's the highest mountain in the Alps. You might be luckier around Switzerland, but I doubt you'll find any in the summer either.

We holidayed in Malcesine, Lake Garda in May time and there was snow up on Monte Baldo. Around 28c lakeside and 4c on the mountain, quite refreshing...

You can ski all year round on the glacier at Zermatt.

Cheers,

Gaz

Queenstown or Wanaka...??

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, we've been to malcesine, it is lovely, I hadn't considered it, we didn't see any snow though.

I'll look into Zermatt

Keep them coming!

There are plenty of French ski resorts that open in summer and have snow at top.
Two that come to mind are tignes (next to val d'isere) and les deux alpes.

Both have cable car access for cyclists and ramblers...

I am a regular in the three valleys area of France. Although it's not guaranteed ( as no glacier), there is usually snow at the top of val thorens which does have cable cars running through the summer.

PS tignes has a lovely lake too...

I would combine it with a day or two in annecy.. lovely in the summer with a huge lake.. loads going on..

There is snow in both Grindelwald and the Shilthorn in summer. Can be 35c at the foot and 3c at the peak in daytime. The only drawback with Switzerland is the expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom