alternater probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baz towler

Car
mercedes e320 cdi
on a recent trip from nottm to cornwall my alternator [e class 320 cdi 210 model] failed and had to be relayed down to a garage near penzance were a new alternator was fitted the totel bill came to (wait for it) was£660.88p was this a fair price or was it a case of the pirates of penzance the car has 15000 miles on the clock anyone any ideas bazboy

Sorry to hear, it does sound a bit steep. Just wondering about warranty,
only 15k I wouldn't expect a worn out alternator unless it has been damaged in some way or defective. If defective i'd talk to dealer.
just my opinion
f2

Are you sure its a W210 and not a W211 or w212? ----- 15,000 is very low mileage for a W210 which stopped production in 2003. Unless your cost of recovery was covered by some warranty/insurance that might cost quite a bit. Recent design alternators can be quite expensive with water cooling and/ or overrun clutches .

Its not a 212...no 320 cdi in the range.

He probably meant 150,000...and that's more than my alternator lasted. A good price, given the circumstances.

said he
Sorry to hear, it does sound a bit steep. Just wondering about warranty,
only 15k I wouldn't expect a worn out alternator unless it has been damaged in some way or defective. If defective i'd talk to dealer.
just my opinion
f2

The OP said he has a W210, this model went out of production in 2002/03 so there will be no MB warranty. I wonder if the mileage figure should be 150,000 miles?

yes you are right 150 thousand miles just checked europarts and I think it realy was a good price £459.74 alternater £ 91.00 to fitt and then the dredded vat

yes you are right 150 thousand miles just checked europarts and I think it realy was a good price £459.74 alternater £ 91.00 to fitt and then the dredded vat

Sounds like you found a good garage that fitted it for a very fair price.

Yes, a good price given you had no choice at the time.

Alternator failed on my 320CDi engine last week. New Bosch regulator fitted for £57.00. No labour costs cos DIY.

In most cases its the regulator on the back that fails as per Druk's comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom