Alternative size tyres for a 55 plus spare wheel question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
I have 285/30/19 on the rear of my CLS55 and while they are ok I'd like to know if anyone has gone to a 35 profile. Having had the joy of replacing one of the rear wheels (£600) about 18 months ago due to cracks from our wonderful roads in the UK. My thinking is that a 35 would make it less vulnerable? Right or wrong?

Presuming that is possible would the tyre width need to be altered? Mine is on 111 wheels.

Secondly, do the XL load tyres come as standard with rim protectors? As the rubber protrudes more than the standard tyre?

Lastly, I've no spare wheel and I'm looking to do a Euro trip soon and would like to take this car with me. My only reservation of taking this car is, that if I do get a flat and need that "get out of jail" card, what options of are there of getting one? I don't really want to buy and take both a spare front/rear wheel and tyre as my wife and our dog will be with me so space may be an issue. My other half looks at any weight capacity as a target and not a limit.

To raise the profile you would need to go to a narrower tyre. At such a low profile on such a large rim this can be dramatic.

At a 70mph on the dash you would be doing:
245/35/19 70.08
255/35/19 71.15
265/35/19 72.20
275/35/19 73.29

Reactions: Nat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom