Alternative to a CLS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I was reading a review of the Passat CC GT by Jeremy Clarkson, back in 2009, in which he likened it to a CLS but at half the price. I've always wanted a CLS, and the CC styling certainly owes much to the CLS, though Clarkson was not entirely complimentary; he felt the VW lacked sparkle, and felt a bit leisurely by comparison. These days I prefer (relatively...) leisurely in my long-distance car, and I thought I'd look to see what sort of price a Passat CC competitor to the M113 CLS500 fetched. I found this:

Volkswagen Passat GT CC R36 DSG FOUR MOTION 40k fsh ultra rare car | eBay

Jeez, that seems cheap for what it is. I could almost be tempted. Is there something wrong with that model, does anybody know?

Jeez, that seems cheap for what it is. I could almost be tempted. Is there something wrong with that model, does anybody know?
Well.... for starters it’s not an R36 because they didn’t do that model as far as I’m aware in the CC, only the Passat saloon and estate: 2008 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 V6 R36 DSG 4MOTION 5dr | eBay

Pretty certain the only petrol lump in that era was the 2.0T.

On the issue of the CC though; I like them, in the typical VAG fashion they never look “old” due to how their model lineups evolve.

As above, a M113K powered W219 seems a much more tempting place to put the same money. Especially with quite a few on the market today.

Not a comparison really is it? Apple & pears :) The CLS all day long for me.

Friend at work has one of these , roughly 300bhp and 4wd. They go pretty well for what they are and seem well put together.
Only issue he had was the electric handbrake sticking on, which seems to be a common VAG fault.
I'm guessing the R is just a trim level.

The online details show it as a 3.6, not 2.0.
Just done a bit of digging and you’re quite right, there is a 3.6 but there’s no R36 model, it’s just the engine that this model shares.

My mate has a Passat R36. It’s a nice car and goes well. Fairly rare too, but has had lots of niggles with it over the years including the electronic handbrake and gearbox.

as above the CC was never termed as a R36, but does have the same 3.6 lump. I’d have a Passat any day over the CC for rarity value. Passat prices seem to be creeping up.

Volkswagen Passat CC 3.6 V6 FSI review | Autocar

As nice as it is, it’s still a Passat. Surely a CLS55 for similar money is a more tempting proposition? :)

As above, a M113K powered W219 seems a much more tempting place to put the same money. Especially with quite a few on the market today.

Agreed, but you'd be buying a 55K, and my Turbo Nutter Bastard days are (mostly; there's still the SLK...) behind me now. I'm comparing the VW to the pre-facelift (my favourite) CLS500. In any event, the M113 was dropped from the CLS range from the 2006 model year.

That car is up for £9K; nine years old, 40K miles, fsh. Supposing you could find a petrol CLS the same, I suspect it would be up for a lot more than that.

Sadly, my personal circumstances preclude my buying a sleek four-door saloon or coupe; I'd have to put (often muddy) dogs in the back seat. If it were otherwise, I'd seriously consider that particular Passat CC; it just looks so good, classy and dignified. Like a 'proper' Mercedes, in fact...

Agreed, but you'd be buying a 55K, and my Turbo Nutter Bastard days are (mostly; there's still the SLK...) behind me now. I'm comparing the VW to the pre-facelift (my favourite) CLS500. In any event, the M113 was dropped from the CLS range from the 2006 model year.

That car is up for £9K; nine years old, 40K miles, fsh. Supposing you could find a petrol CLS the same, I suspect it would be up for a lot more than that.

Sadly, my personal circumstances preclude my buying a sleek four-door saloon or coupe; I'd have to put (often muddy) dogs in the back seat. If it were otherwise, I'd seriously consider that particular Passat CC; it just looks so good, classy and dignified. Like a 'proper' Mercedes, in fact...

I agree with all of the above and, as already said, Passat prices seem to be moving and their niche models will move accordingly.

VWs have an avid fan base similar to Ford and BMW and will therefore always be in demand.

I think that Passat is a lovely looking car ... at VW parts and labour prices, not Mercedes!

I’d have thought if you’re trying to avoid performance-orientated driving a three hundred horsepower DSG Passat would be encouraging of similar driving as a V8 Merc etc?

Not sure on the reliability of the 3.6 but I bet they will have their own share of issues, same as any car really although Passat build quality in my experience is excellent. Just not sure I would put it in the same class as a CLS - the Passat is a FWD based repmobile and similar proportions as a C-class/3-series not an E which is after all what the CLS has for its underpinnings.

I know this is a nice one, 3.6 4motion etc but it’s still a Passat. Not rare just not a good seller?

If you wanted a low mileage CLS500 they are out there, you just have to be patient.

Not sure if this meets you criteria, it’s 3 years older/11k miles more, petrol, similar colour scheme but £1k less.

Auto Trader logo

I’m sure there will be others in time with lower mileage/different spec/years/colour (and price) etc - all part of the fun when you find the one you like if it’s your thing? :)

I think the m113 cls 500 continued albeit in lovely 5.5 N/A form up until around 2010. They are really lovely cars, and about the same money with a bit of negotiation.

I don’t think the M113 was available larger than 5 litres for non-AMG models. The 5.5 (non-AMG) cars are the M273 :)

I’d have thought if you’re trying to avoid performance-orientated driving a three hundred horsepower DSG Passat would be encouraging of similar driving as a V8 Merc etc?

Not sure on the reliability of the 3.6 but I bet they will have their own share of issues, same as any car really although Passat build quality in my experience is excellent. Just not sure I would put it in the same class as a CLS - the Passat is a FWD based repmobile and similar proportions as a C-class/3-series not an E which is after all what the CLS has for its underpinnings.

I know this is a nice one, 3.6 4motion etc but it’s still a Passat. Not rare just not a good seller?

If you wanted a low mileage CLS500 they are out there, you just have to be patient.

Not sure if this meets you criteria, it’s 3 years older/11k miles more, petrol, similar colour scheme but £1k less.

Auto Trader logo

I’m sure there will be others in time with lower mileage/different spec/years/colour (and price) etc - all part of the fun when you find the one you like if it’s your thing? :)

'Performance-orientated' driving is much less likely to creep up on you unawares in a 300 hp Passat or CLS, or indeed the 300 hp ML I have now, than in a 550 hp E63 which feels much the same at 140 as it does at 70. I'd change my forum name to Ex-TNB, except you never know...

It is rare, you know: rare = not many about; not a good seller = not many about. :D If you mean the Passat in all its incarnations is not all that rare, I'd have to agree, though I don't see many CCs; even fewer CLSs, though.

I thought, and still think, that that car represents very good value for money. I'm not looking to buy; I wish I were, but I can't justify, and don't have sensible room for, more than two cars.

For my taste, both the interior and the exterior of that Passat makes that CLS look awfully dowdy and dull, as well as older and higher mileage and not much cheaper. A Designo interior (similar look to that of that Passat) would lift it, but it's still not to my taste. If this one

CLS55 Designo, Blue with Parchment Leather were in that colour, I bet he'd not be asking £12K.

I was reading a review of the Passat CC GT by Jeremy Clarkson, back in 2009, in which he likened it to a CLS but at half the price. I've always wanted a CLS, and the CC styling certainly owes much to the CLS, though Clarkson was not entirely complimentary; he felt the VW lacked sparkle, and felt a bit leisurely by comparison. These days I prefer (relatively...) leisurely in my long-distance car, and I thought I'd look to see what sort of price a Passat CC competitor to the M113 CLS500 fetched. I found this:

Volkswagen Passat GT CC R36 DSG FOUR MOTION 40k fsh ultra rare car | eBay

There are no alternatives to a CLS, its the car that marked the teardrop explosion.

how someone even dare to compare a horse cart to a fine automobile???

Lots of silly comments from people who can't see further than Mercedes; I'm not one of them. And to make it worse, Mr. Clarkson had the temerity to consider that the VW was better...

Lots of silly comments from people who can't see further than Mercedes; I'm not one of them. And to make it worse, Mr. Clarkson had the temerity to consider that the VW was better...
is there anything else out there?
there's only 2 makes of cars 1 is the Mercedes 2 is the rest of them..
Clarkson should have been highly intoxicated when he said that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom