Alternative to a CLS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:rolleyes:

Agreed, but you'd be buying a 55K, and my Turbo Nutter Bastard days are (mostly; there's still the SLK...) behind me now. I'm comparing the VW to the pre-facelift (my favourite) CLS500. In any event, the M113 was dropped from the CLS range from the 2006 model year.

That car is up for £9K; nine years old, 40K miles, fsh. Supposing you could find a petrol CLS the same, I suspect it would be up for a lot more than that.

Sadly, my personal circumstances preclude my buying a sleek four-door saloon or coupe; I'd have to put (often muddy) dogs in the back seat. If it were otherwise, I'd seriously consider that particular Passat CC; it just looks so good, classy and dignified. Like a 'proper' Mercedes, in fact...

I really like CC's and also like the idea of CC's and Passaat's with the 3.6 whether they are R's or not.

I think they look sleek inside and out. The only thing that give the FWD origins away are the overhang at the front and the slightly cab-forward design compared to a "proper" RWD car. Minor points.

I always look at them and admire them.

Lots of silly comments from people who can't see further than Mercedes; I'm not one of them. And to make it worse, Mr. Clarkson had the temerity to consider that the VW was better...
I’ve owned a CC and numerous Passats and they’re are probably the best cars amongst their competitors, but the biggest difference you’ll notice - compared to a CLS for example - is the road noise, they are noticeably louder than a Mercedes.

If you’re thinking of the Passat as well as the CC, definitely look at the R36 estate, they’re fun cars and are holding their values very well, if not slightly rising... (they do a nice blue too...)

I’ve hired a couple of CCs, only in 2.0TDi form, and I liked them, would consider another. The originally posted one does seem a touch costly though to my mind.

My only fear about the 3.6 engine would be robustness vs Merc’s large engine options. Is it an engine used heavily in VW’s range and therefore well known by mechanics and free of faults? An advantage of the M113 and the M273 (once past the timing gear fault era) is that they sold in big numbers globally, are reliable and are well known by mechanics. I had similar misgivings when hankering after Passat W8s in the past.

If you only want 300bhp out of something CLS like, the CLS350 CGI petrol does 292bhp.

Had mine 8 years and been a joy to own. Shortly after I bought mine at 4 years old, my neighbour bought a new Passat CC, just a cooking model. Looking at both out of the window there was no comparison for me, CLS is a beaut.

Clarkson also said the Chrysler 300C was a good alternative to the Bentley!

I'm sure the CC is a good enough car, but you'll always be pining over a CLS. No comparison in my eyes.

The only alternative I can think of for @E55BOF is a Blue CLS55 :D
CLS55 Designo, Blue with Parchment Leather

At present neither a CLS, let alone a 55K, nor a Passat CC, is a realistic option. A really big premium hatchback, like my old SAAB 9000, might be, but nobody seems to make them any more.

Interesting that the CC is noticeably less quiet than the CLS, but that might not be a problem for me; I find the W164 acceptably quiet, and the several W211 estates I've had, and surprisingly, the diesel Peugeot 508 SW I had for a little while was a slightly quieter cruiser than the E350 petrol that preceded it.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom