Alternative Transport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Given that my normal daily driver (my 190E) is currently out of the country I decided to dust off my wifes virtually unused Yamaha YBR125 and try it for my 50 mile per day commute.

It is a 2008 model with 3k on the clock of which only 250 miles in the last two years. 125cc, about 10HP and fuel injection... this thing should be really really frugal. Even better is that it was only £40 to insure and 12 months tax was a laughable £16.

So anyway, one week in and the main observation is that this little thing seems to run on just a mere hint of petrol vapours. Even with my bulk sitting astride the bike and riding with complete disregard to fuel use, I have managed a very respectable 130mpg. To put this in perspective it roughly means 300 miles on £12 of fuel. :eek:

Brilliant commuting tool you might say.... but when navigating three junctions of the M4 with the throttle pinned on full and barely able to maintain 60mph, it does get a little tiresome, not to mention rather worrying around junctions.

So I think I've decided that if it was just a little bigger - maybe a 250 or something, possibly a scooter with one of those blankets (I must be getting old)) then fuel consumption would still be great but brief motorway sections less frightening.

Has anyone got any experience of these Maxi scooters? Are the 3-400cc ones much more economical than the 600/650's? The Honda Silverwing (not the CX derivitive) looks nice.

Meanwhile, is anyone in the market for a little 130mpg commuter toy. Perfect as long as you dont use motorways. :D

Attachments

• ybr.jpg
    ybr.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 81
How about a Mercedes Engined Diesel Motorcycle?

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Track T-800CDI has an 800 cc three-cylinder CDI common rail turbo diesel engine developed by Mercedes especially for the motorcycle, and has a fuel consumption of only 2.5 L/100 km (110 mpg-imp; 94 mpg-US). It has a cardan shaft drive. The transmission is a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT ). The Track Diesel motorcycle produces 45 hp (34 kW) and 100 N·m (74 ft·lbf) torque in between 1,800 and 4,500 rpm, delivering a top speed of about 160 km/h (99 mph) and acceleration from 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 6 seconds. The throttle is connected with an electronic throttle control. The brake lights on the tail will be progressive lights featuring LED technology.
Dutch E.V.A. Products BV started to sell the diesel motorcycle in 2009, with sales outside the Netherlands expected to start in summer 2010

Bit ugly though:D

The Honda Silverwing (not the CX derivitive) looks nice.
A mate had one which he used for commuting for a couple of years and he was most impressed. He particularly enjoyed p*ssing off Boxter drivers at the traffic lights GP when his scoot out-dragged them :D

Having said that, the T-Max and the Burgman both seem pretty good, too.

Have you thought about a BMW C1? It's a 200cc scooter with a canopy and windscreen.

BMW C1

Nice concept but needs a bigger engine than 200cc with all that extra weight I feel.

Good effort-just be careful of all those careless car driver!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom