Alternatives to Motorway services

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spin_bowler

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLC, Tesla MY
I know that some on here drive the length and breadth of the land for a living. For others, like me, driving isn’t the day job but forms a significant part of my working week. I look after accounts all over the UK for a small company so can be at all four points of the compass in the course of a week.

The most depressing thing about the driving I find is the scourge that is the Motorway Service Area. Be it a Moto, Roadchef or whatever they are all spectacularly crap, overpriced and underwhelming. There is the celebrated exception of Tebay on the North section of the M6 but that is very much the one that proves the rule in my opinion.

I thought that, using the collective might of the forum it would be a good idea to share local knowledge and inform others of sensible alternatives to a particular motorway services that they could consider when out and about.

The rules of engagement are simple, the alternative location should be within a Junction or two of the suggested service station and provide at least some of the services that a driver might be seeking at that services. I’m not suggesting it need be more glamourous, it could, for example just be cheaper, but if there are any hidden gems of pubs serving decent food or nice B&B’s instead of Motorway Travelodges then that would be a bonus ;)

I’ll kick off with a couple that I use regularly.

Instead of South Mimms on the M25 (J23).
Take J22 (St Albans) and use the Colney Fields retail Park. It is actually less time off the motorway than the proper services at J23 has a Sainsbury’s petrol station which has toilets and a reasonable shop and most importantly supermarket priced petrol. The retail park has at least four alternative eating options in the Sainsbury’s and M&S and 30 minute parking spaces by the doors which generally have some free. There’s also a McDonalds on the main roundabout if burgers are your thing.

Instead of Reading on the M4 (J11)
Take J12 (Theale) and take the A4 towards Reading and there is a retail park almost immediately with a petrol station, McDonalds and Sainsbury’s on it.

Sorry for the long post and I’m sure someone will be along to say that there is a Big Chief I-Spy book on the subject or similar but I’d be up for any tips that made my journey’s more enjoyable. Has anyone else got any gems?

At the same junction of the M5 as Exeter Services, Darts Farm near Topsham (about 2 miles from the motorway) has a food hall, cafe, restaurant, loos etc, plus an excellent fish and chip shop. Lots of outdoor seating too.

Darts Farm

Bring a packed lunch, or eat before or after Mway trip and make sure you fill up before. That means ANY stop on the motorway need not part you from your cash, but just to stretch your legs.

Bring a packed lunch, or eat before or after Mway trip and make sure you fill up before. That means ANY stop on the motorway need not part you from your cash, but just to stretch your legs.

I do when convenient but I could be on the road using hotel for 2/3 days at a time, I also have to stop for conference calls and to get on-line etc so it's not always practical.

Spoken like a true Scotsman! :devil: lol

I do when convenient but I could be on the road using hotel for 2/3 days at a time, I also have to stop for conference calls and to get on-line etc so it's not always practical.

Just make the calls/go on-line whilst driving - it seems everybody else does when I am out there! :rolleyes:

Luckily for me my current W220 has got a fridge in the back. I generally load it up with cans and food goods. All I need now is a car with a microwave and I'll be set....

At the same junction of the M5 as Exeter Services, Darts Farm near Topsham (about 2 miles from the motorway) has a food hall, cafe, restaurant, loos etc, plus an excellent fish and chip shop. Lots of outdoor seating too.

Darts Farm

Old thread I know.... I'm just here right now experiencing the ales... What a lovely village :)

I know that some on here drive the length and breadth of the land for a living. For others, like me, driving isn’t the day job but forms a significant part of my working week. I look after accounts all over the UK for a small company so can be at all four points of the compass in the course of a week.

The most depressing thing about the driving I find is the scourge that is the Motorway Service Area. Be it a Moto, Roadchef or whatever they are all spectacularly crap, overpriced and underwhelming. There is the celebrated exception of Tebay on the North section of the M6 but that is very much the one that proves the rule in my opinion.

I thought that, using the collective might of the forum it would be a good idea to share local knowledge and inform others of sensible alternatives to a particular motorway services that they could consider when out and about.

The rules of engagement are simple, the alternative location should be within a Junction or two of the suggested service station and provide at least some of the services that a driver might be seeking at that services. I’m not suggesting it need be more glamourous, it could, for example just be cheaper, but if there are any hidden gems of pubs serving decent food or nice B&B’s instead of Motorway Travelodges then that would be a bonus ;)

I’ll kick off with a couple that I use regularly.

Instead of South Mimms on the M25 (J23).
Take J22 (St Albans) and use the Colney Fields retail Park. It is actually less time off the motorway than the proper services at J23 has a Sainsbury’s petrol station which has toilets and a reasonable shop and most importantly supermarket priced petrol. The retail park has at least four alternative eating options in the Sainsbury’s and M&S and 30 minute parking spaces by the doors which generally have some free. There’s also a McDonalds on the main roundabout if burgers are your thing.

Instead of Reading on the M4 (J11)
Take J12 (Theale) and take the A4 towards Reading and there is a retail park almost immediately with a petrol station, McDonalds and Sainsbury’s on it.

Sorry for the long post and I’m sure someone will be along to say that there is a Big Chief I-Spy book on the subject or similar but I’d be up for any tips that made my journey’s more enjoyable. Has anyone else got any gems?

I know two people who spent a year writing a book about just this sort of thing, they combed the UK road network in a camper!

Will try and find the title...

Old thread I know.... I'm just here right now experiencing the ales... What a lovely village :)

Topsham is delightful, true.

Did you have the fish and chips from the shed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom