alternatives to sky tv????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matc88

Car
Ml270 cdi
I am currently paying £100 per month for my sky tv and internet, which i only watch about 30mins due to my little girl watching cartoons :wallbash:

what is a cheap alternative to sky, without such cost? i would like to maybe record a few programmes and watch catch up.

i did see an advert for a tv catch up box the other day, but not sure which one it was for.

i do watch football however i can watch these online, or at the pub for the sake off 2 pints.

are plusnet anygood for internet as they have an offer of £2.99 unlimited bb for 1 year then £12.99 after if i remembered correctly.

thanks for any advice

It seems to be described solely as a receiver....I know nothing of them but I do know that Humax is good kit.

states this on the additional info page.

Dual USB outlets for recording TV onto external hard drive or USB stick

There are many ways to watch TV. But most are illegal. Which is essentially what you are doing when watching the game online.

I used to have a dish setup to watch foreign broadcasts, which wasn't illegal, but I wasn't supposed to subscribe to the packages I did, as I was outside the areas they supply to.

Since I have moved I use an IPTV setup. Both of these ways gave me every single football game, live. I only use the TV for sport. Most of broadcast TV is drivel. I watch the news in the mornings. That is it.

From what you have posted above. Youview would probably be what you're after. http://www.youview.com/ And then use alternate means for sport.

Just a point of correct grammar.....

Alternative is derived from the latin altaire meaning choice of two. It is therefore not possible to have alternatives. One can have one alternative but no more. For instance alternating current (AC) is a supply that alternates current between the two.

Anyway, £100 a month is a lot for TV/broadband.

As for legality of watching TV, I understood that one only needs a licence if watching TV live. ie as its broadcast. If you are watching on any form of delayed system, a licence is not needed.

English was never my best subject at school, I was always good at Carpentry and Maths :)

……... i would like to maybe record a few programmes and watch catch up……….

You could always connect the AV output from a free view box to an old-fashioned video recorder.

I know it's not very "high tech" but it does the job!

You could always connect the AV output from a free view box to an old-fashioned video recorder.

I know it's not very "high tech" but it does the job!

I thought of that, but personally I couldn't be bothered with the faff, or indeed with sticking drives/sticks in it. Humax HD PVR's don't cost that much, mine is several years old and has never missed a beat.

As for legality of watching TV, I understood that one only needs a licence if watching TV live. ie as its broadcast. If you are watching on any form of delayed system, a licence is not needed.

Avoiding paying for Sky (or any satellite subscription) by watching a stream of it online, is illegal. Even if it wasn't, you would still require a licence, it is broadcast TV (even if it will have a slight time delay). But... If you only used iplayer, as an example, you wouldn't need a licence.

English was never my best subject at school, I was always good at Carpentry and Maths :)

:) Me too. It was my wife's Latin degree that taught me on an almost daily basis where I was going wrong:eek:

Alfie said:
:) Me too. It was my wife's Latin degree that taught me on an almost daily basis where I was going wrong:eek:

Totally agree. My Latin degree taught me more about use of the English language than all my English studies at school.

mercmanuk said:
xbmc free download everything free

True... Use this for everything who needs sky, virgin box etc

Sent from my Apple Mobile Device using MBClub UK

There are better quality options than XBMC and add-ons such as Navi-X or whatever you use. But... like the route suggested above, they are illegal. Sky are also working very hard at cutting down piracy on the internet. This weekend alone the EPL changed the terms of the contracts with several large foreign broadcasters to ensure that no 3pm games were shown in Europe and only 1 in the middle east. Sky are also targeting other illegal activities such as cardsharing. I, personally, am happy for people to reduce Sky's money, but I think we should be clear on the illegality of these activities.

years ago when dvd's cost £20 each there was a huge pirate market on every car boot and market stall all over the country.cd's cost £16 same again pirate market.now dvd's cost £10 and music discs are £8 so the pirate market has reduced and people are happy to but original discs.
if sky and virgin had more realistic pricing there would be no filesharing on the net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom