Alternatives to SKY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetnik

Car
Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
So, at long last, I've cancelled my Sky subscription and have one month to contemplate the alternatives.

I get to keep Sky in the form of Freesat from Sky.
I have Freeview on TVs.
I have a Netflix subscription.
I have Chromecasts.
I have PCs/Android tablets and an XBox 360.
I could buy a Freesat box (will this do more than Freesat from Sky?)
There's something called Youview which looks redundant?
I could buy a Roku - Roku 3 or the streaming stick.

What and why is my question - like to hear from anyone who has made the change or is happy with what they have.

I'm not bothered about sport, movies I can get from Netflix,; the missus may well wish to record stuff.

We cancelled everything 18 months ago and survive on BT vision these days and to be frank it's fine. We even get to talk to each other these days :D

Netflix + Unblock us (about £10 a month) this gives you access to Netflix USA, Canada, Brasil, Mexico, Holland, Norway and few more I cant remember of...all in English too

And Afdah at:

Afdah - Watch Movies Online

Which is free

Have you considered Virgin Media? It has built in apps, a plethora of on demand shows and movies But it is bloody complicated to navigate. The menus are endless.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Sky are pretty much unbeatable with regards to choice. They are terribly priced and their customer services have "attitude". Whatever you chose, won't be as good, but as Conquistador said, Virgin, is pretty good. Make sure you test it out in the shop first!

They'll keep ringing you with tempting offers then in August ( after the football has started) they'll offer you 12 mths at 1/2 price

cinek said:
Netflix + Unblock us (about £10 a month) this gives you access to Netflix USA, Canada, Brasil, Mexico, Holland, Norway and few more I cant remember of...all in English too

How does one do this??

How does one do this??

Once you have signed up to Netflix, visit

Unblock-Us - smarter faster VPN

Register with them using the same email address as you have on Netflix.
Then, you simply choose the country you want your devices to 'think' they are in, click activate and you're ready to go.

Bte, the website has tutorials for number of different devices and how to set them up.

We have freesat built in to tv's and use this in preference to freeview as picture quality is better, some channels are hd.
(we also have sky:eek:)

Humax freesat pvr plus Netflix & VPN works ok for us.

Have had a Humax FoxT2 for a few years, gives all the Freeview channels which is more than enough for me. Can record two channels and watch a previously recorded at the time, sometimes watch a third channel depending what MUX it shares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom