Alternator, charging and wiring loom A611 150 0433 in SAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doggysitter

Car
cl203 C220 Sports Coupe
Battery positive and negative leads connected while battery was removed to change the starter motor. Oooppsss.
Alternator did not appear to be charging battery afterwards, Red warning in dash and yellow warning to turn off unwanted anciliries.
Multi tester across battery only showed 11.5v.
Eventually car died as battery voltage was not being maintained. (Hope I have not broke the battery now as well).

Unplugged alternator connection.
It has 2 wires, one Blue and green tracer, the other a solid blue. I pulled back the plastic coating because the plastic coating appeared to be chafing on the turbo vacum thingy. Found the Blue with green tracer wire was showing bare wire where it was chafing on the turbo thingy.

Out with the multitester again.
Alternator plug Blue with green tracer, multitester +ve lead into this and put -ve to earth with setting at 20V and got 0.08V. Then switched to resistance and got 16 Ohms.
Swapped +ve multitester lead to Blue wire and -ve lead to earth and got 0V and 0 Ohms.
(Was expecting battery voltage from both but probs wrong on this!).

Next I traced the alternator wires through the engine compartment to the front SAM unit which lead me to a tiny red connector next to the big red connector with a big purple wire which is the starter live(?) with loom labeled A 611 150 0433. Decided to check if the alternator wires were ok so multitester +ve to Blue with green tracer at alternator plug and -ve lead to same wire on red connector at SAM. Got 16.23Ohms but no continuity buzzer.
Changed over leads from multitester to Blue wire, got Zero Ohms and Continuity buzzer.
Obviously no voltage as I was just testing to see if any wire was broken but didn't expect the results I got!...

Could this be significant? Is my charging issue related to wiring? Could I have blown an inline fuse with my chafing issue?

I should have checked the actual alternator terminals to see what they were producing but decided to ask what the wiring results could mean first. One stage at a time. Perhaps the chafing of the Blue with green tracer onto the engine turbo thingy was reducing volts being sent to the battery intermittently and discharged my battery, or blew an inline fuse if one exists.

Appologies for such a long explanation.

Update.
Put a 'Ring RBA600' electrical tester on the car this afternoon.
Did a battery test:
State of Charge: 12.77 Volt
Capacity available: 851
Internal resistance: 3.17 mOhm
Life expectancy: 100 %
Overall results: Good

Did a 'no load' and a 'load' test:
Without electrical load at 3,000 rpm:
Max. charging volt: 12.46 Volt
Min. charging volt: 12.36 Volt
Results: Abnormal,Low charging volt. Check belt, alternator.

With electrical loads ON at 2,000 rpm:
Max. charging volt: 12.05 Volt
Min. charging volt: 11.90 Volt
Results: Abnormal,Low charging volt. Check belt, alternator.

So my alternator came off this afternoon. Fun job to do which took 2 hours working methodically with 2 brews in between.
Surprisingly easy to remove from above after moving water pipes about. Gives me the opportunity to fix the leaky turbo hoses, dodgy lower radiator hose and waterpump hose while there all accessable. Have already sorted the chafed wiring.

Just got to find a decent remanufactured one.

All looking good now so I'm getting stuck into a bottle of French Red. MMmmm.

Update...Because i have too much time on my hands...

I suspect a fair proportion of my charging issues may be related to the Poly ribbed belt slipping. How do I know this?
Well, I went out this afternoon and was cleaning all the oil collected around the turbo when I noticed that the waterpump pully which is supposed to be smooth was lumpy. It had a lot of greasy rubber syuff over it. I cleaned this off and then looved at the other pulleys , crankshaft, Idler/tensioner, AC ans steering pulley. All the little groves were clogged with dirt. I got my little watchmakers screwdrivers out and had a scraping session. They were all filthy and I got loads of c**p out of them.
Take a look at the first picture. The two grooves closest to the engine have not been scraped and are pretty mucky.
So, if you have charging issues I suggest a good clean up of these may help!
Oh and I was playing with my alternator at 2am this morning while making bacon butties. mmm

Now, where is my bottle of Brandy, I feel a need comming on...
IMG_20180615_191237.jpg IMG_20180615_005423.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom