Aluminium Dust Caps Will Not Move.. HELP.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ironsheik

Car
W204 C200CDI SPORT.
Wanted to check air pressure in tyres, dust caps will not budge, tried pliers and still no luck..

As im using the pliers, the actual rubber valve was twisting as well, so had to stop that as I dont want to damage them..

Any ideas? i dont want to fork out for a set of new tyres...

Give them a squeeze with the pliers, all round, that should loosen them a little. Then gently hold (another set of pliers..) the valve stem just below the cap and try again.

Give them a squeeze with the pliers, all round, that should loosen them a little. Then gently hold (another set of pliers..) the valve stem just below the cap and try again.

Ok, i'll try this now.. as well as the heat...

I'll be back..

If all else fails, go to the tyre shop, where they can remove the wheel, cut the stem (or pull it out) and replace.

You won't need new tyres in any event.

Pilot drill the top of the cap, fill with WD40 and leave - it will penetrate the thread.

I had some on my S500, after only a few months they welded themselves on, destroyed the tyre valves getting them off...

When was the last time you checked the pressures?

I had some on my S500, after only a few months they welded themselves on, destroyed the tyre valves getting them off...

It's not surprising really, two electrically dissimilar metals and water is always going to end in tears.
The aluminium will have corroded like mad.

Could only find one pair of pliers so cannot hold the stem while trying to twist the cap..

Tried heating it with a lighter (Thats all I had) and poured boiling water on it..

Still wont budge..

Its dark out there so I'll try the drilling the top of the cap/ wd40 method tomorrow maybe...

Thanks for the replies...

Crickey ... Glad I read this. I just put some Aluminium dust caps on mine and tightened them with a pair of pliers in case some little beggar decided to try and rob them .,,(they look so nice) ... I just made it tight enough you couldn't undo it with fingers alone and the pliers are always on the car so it seemed sensible... Arrghhh need to rethin that strategy...

Just came back from my friends place who has all the tools... We got the caps off eventually.. It took a hacksaw, a chisel and a screwdriver to do it.. (what a mission).

STAY AWAY FROM ALUMINIUM DUST CAPS!
(unless you put some kind of grease in them to lubricate)

have used the aluminium dust caps for years .. never had any problems :)

Had a similar problem on mine.
Ended up cutting them off with a Dremmel (mistake)
Cut too deep on the first try.
Had trouble getting a petrol station tyre inflator to fit.
Ended up getting the valves replaced and rims resealed.
Bin the alloy caps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom