Aluminium trim staining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bil2108

Car
Mercedes sl 350
Hi
I have a 3 month old C200 Cabriolet the Aluminium trim Below the rear window on the boot over has what looks like water staining has anyone else had this and can it be cleaned
Regards
Bill

I am not sure but I think we had something like this a short time ago,if I remember right it could not be cleaned off as it was under the top coat,if you car is new then get it replaced under warranty.

Snow foam? ;)

It's the result of using harsh cleaning products. It affects the top coat and I am not aware of any way to clean it... it also affects cars that have black trim (not chrome) but then it is less noticeable.

You can try getting the dealer to replace it under warranty, on the premise that it's of poor quality if it's so sensitive to detergents.

Or, you could have the trim bits removed and wrapped.

If you apply some wax products, or even WD40, it will make the 'stains' go away but only for a short while.

Good luck.

Doodle dont tel;l me about TFR its leathal stuff . I used to work at a well known caravan company .The caravans would come in second hand covered in brown algae .This TFR worked wonders on them . But one day i used it on a brand new Luna Delta 4 wheel twin axle caravan .It was old stock but new . I had used this TFR on most all othe cara vans before with no problems .But this day in particular it was very hot ,i washed it over with the hose and mixed a bucket of water and TFR and washed it again . The van came up very nice,, so i moved on to the next . Went past the Delta later on in the day ,,i saw white streaks down all the bright work alloy finishers and on the door frame . I thought i would loose my job over it . Bad part was the new owners were on the road to pick it up . I did manage to hide the streaks before the new owners picked the van up with a simple tin of WD40 ,but it was only hiden for a few days till the WD 40 had dried off ...Just enough time for the caravan to be delivered by me . Sorry to say no cure for this only replacment of bright work .

No nothing will sort it out other than a replacment . My BMW new to me that i just purchased had it on most of its silver trim . The car came with it on and it spoilt the look of it ,,,.So i went to the local dealers he told me the story of its demise --cleaning substances left on the car to dry off in a hot sun .

You might find these 2 sites of interest, finishing.com and secondchance garage.com.Idid use autosol followed by ag super resin.It did reduce the staining ,and reduced the offending appearance

My old mondeo titanium had this. Never could sort it. As above. Trim replacement time.

Hi
I have a 3 month old C200 Cabriolet the Aluminium trim Below the rear window on the boot over has what looks like water staining has anyone else had this and can it be cleaned
Regards
Bill
I have the same issue, it's under warranty so going to take it to the dealer and see what they say. Should not happen to a 2019 car

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529_161906.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529_161906.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220529_161927.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529_161927.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 23
Hi
Regards
Bill
I've tried cleaning with everything I can find and nothing works. Have you been to the dealer to see what they can do

I have the same issue, it's under warranty so going to take it to the dealer and see what they say. Should not happen to a 2019 car
Sadly it can happen to any car if it's cleaned with strong chemicals. I think if there was a 'quick fix' it would be a miracle! :)

My cls has it on the silver window surrounds and my sons bmw with high gloss black shaddowline trim is even worse. You would think they would a)have found a cure or b)used something else that lasts by now.

Hi
Regards
Bill
Try a product called Peek... Works for me in the motor trade.
Available on Amazon...

Yes TFR is danger to any alloy parts or bright work . I damaged the aluminum awning rail and all the bright trim around the door on a brand new Swift caravan . My last job was in this large well known caravan dealership . Delivering new cara vans here and there . I would wash them before i delivered them .Some caravans sat for months in a stock yard .Well i had been there for 4 weeks .No one told me about this TFR and how damaging it can be if left on the bodywork .First caravan ,,this Swift cost around £16000 .I started on it with this cleaner it made a fantastic job removing dirt ..and the finish off the alloy trim ,.. I never noticed till the next day, just what damage i had done .The trim was no longer bright but a white bluish haze over it .And i tried everything to remove it its impossible .You can only hide it .I used WD40 this hid it till the van was delivered . It was all replaced at a later date , after new owner complained --- phew

excuse my ignorance but what is TFR?

Try a product called Peek... Works for me in the motor trade.
Available on Amazon...
I bought a tube of Peek just to test, I have tried it on my trim did make it look a bit better but I think it needs a couple of goes, but did both my exhaust tips lovely and shiny also noticed some water marks on my wheels sorted,
cheers mate good recommendation 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom