Always behind the times.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LESTAYLOR

Car
W210 E320CDI 7 seater Estate, 2004 SL55 with F1 performance pack and a 1985 Mercedes 508D self conve
Hello guys and girls, this is my first post for a long time. So here goes, In 2005 I bought an 1985 Mercedes 508d which I have converted into a camper. There has been no interest in it on this website. I did not really expect it to create much interest as its a commercial vehicle. It is a merc none the less. I love it a still drive it now. Then in 2010 I bought a 2001 E320 estate, I love it and still drive it. Fantastic car and so reliable, but it's 14 years old now and not very popular with the members on here. Again very little interest. In May this year I bought a 2004 Sl55 AMG with an F1 performance package. I'm thrilled with it. Comfort and performance. So I thought I would look in the AMG lounge. After reading some of the posts, I was disappointed to discover that my SL55 is not popular enough for much discussion as most members in that lounge seem to either lease brand new cars or are fortunate enough to be able to afford a new car. So members like myself who own older cars seem to be left out in the cold. It would seem I'm always behind the times. I will continue to enjoy my OLD vehicles and just hope I can find an on line club that focuses on those of us with older Mercedes vehicles.

I wouldn't worry about not having a popular model of car, it just means your in a more exclusive circle.

Most of my cars are from the 80's or early 90's, and I prefer it that way.

Last edited:
carat 3.6 said:
I wouldn't worry about not having a popular model of car, it just means your in a more exclusive circle. Most of my cars are from the 80's or early 90's, and I prefer it that way.

That is so good to read. I was starting to think that the forerunners to the modern MBs' were being cast aside. After all some of the technology of those almost unworthy cars is still used today. Long live the Mercedes

Hi,
I owned a 508D for 13 years, from 1989 to 2003, which I used to carry my tools business around in.( Market Trader) It had hundreds of thousands of Kms on it when I bought it and even more thousands when I sold it. I only sold it because the body work was getting pretty rotten, and at its last Ministry plating the tester said he would pass it this time, but after that, then no chance, without some serious amount of welding. Also because it was a 5 1/4 tonne van I needed an Operators Licence for it and the 13 week inspections and tacho calibrations and all the rest of the paperwork were just getting too expensive and tedious for an old vehicle. The 508 was a great van, it was not fast but very reliable, always starting first push of the button and the poor old girl carried an awful lot of weight, I would trust it to go anywhere. It was an easy vehicle to work on and in those days, when I was more able, I did all my own repairs, and tackled many different jobs only failing once on a King Pin change and then another time it wouldn't run properly because of a Diesel blockage of a tiny filter that I did not know existed. Whenever I used to go to Greece for a holiday I would always spot a 508 there, as the bodies never seemed to rust away in the Mediterranean climate. Although my Sprinter has also been a cracking vehicle, I always have fond memories of the 508D. I will try to find a pic of it as most readers here will not even know what one looks like.
Steve.

Hello guys and girls, this is my first post for a long time. So here goes, In 2005 I bought an 1985 Mercedes 508d which I have converted into a camper. There has been no interest in it on this website. I did not really expect it to create much interest as its a commercial vehicle. It is a merc none the less. I love it a still drive it now. Then in 2010 I bought a 2001 E320 estate, I love it and still drive it. Fantastic car and so reliable, but it's 14 years old now and not very popular with the members on here. Again very little interest. In May this year I bought a 2004 Sl55 AMG with an F1 performance package. I'm thrilled with it. Comfort and performance. So I thought I would look in the AMG lounge. After reading some of the posts, I was disappointed to discover that my SL55 is not popular enough for much discussion as most members in that lounge seem to either lease brand new cars or are fortunate enough to be able to afford a new car. So members like myself who own older cars seem to be left out in the cold. It would seem I'm always behind the times. I will continue to enjoy my OLD vehicles and just hope I can find an on line club that focuses on those of us with older Mercedes vehicles.

Much like yourself I buy older used cars. I am not a lease guy or keeping up with the Jones. When it comes to MB's I usually buy 1-2 years old and keep them a long time. Newer does not mean better. Compare a W203 C Class to any W204 C Class and you will see what I mean. The SL55 engine is one of the best engines MB ever made and ran up until 2008 I recall. There are lots of mods and upgrades and will still turn heads. There are other forums such as MBWorld that have plenty of R230 SL55/SL65 owners.

The key to a older MB is buying with ALL the options. That way the car will not feel dated at all. Condition such as no rust and interior wear makes the car look and feel newer as well.

Last edited:
I like the older cars. SL55 engine was actually engine of the year I believe at some point. I like the idea of an old commercial like your 508d but I have no space or time to devote to it. My current "dream" is a 190 2.5-16. I have always bought my Mercedes new as I want to be the "only driver" and have recently decided to stop selling them from now on... build up a collection.
It is possible to like old and new and NOT say a bad word about either. Nothing wrong with liking any Mercedes. And no need to get rude when it comes to others' choices in my view. Of course, like every one I am not perfect and do "bite" when anyone suggests some car or other cannot be a "real" Mercedes.
I also grew up in Ilkeston. Not sure if that is good or bad.

I have never bought a new Mercedes ( came close to it once with a demo model) because I have never felt the need to. one of the many things I like about this forum is that it caters for the whole gamut of choices and I have to agree with Tony that there is nothing wrong with liking any Mercedes, old or new. Can't say the same for some other marques, though!

So members like myself who own older cars seem to be left out in the cold. It would seem I'm always behind the times. I will continue to enjoy my OLD vehicles and just hope I can find an on line club that focuses on those of us with older Mercedes vehicles.

A while back, there was some discussion how this site had moved away from owners trying to keep there cherished (sometimes older) cars on the road to being more of a social site. It was suggested this was because so many owners now rent or buy their cars from new meaning they are serviced and faults dealt with by a dealer and they were owners for only a few short years.

However, I would say there are not many technical questions that go unanswered on here, depending on the luck of the poster in posting at the right time.

As for feeling left out, there was a new guy who posted on here a couple of months ago about his new old commercial van and the interest and help he got was heartwarming. However, I don't remember seeing any other posts by him. Or from the guy who was bowled over by the interest in his Unimog. Many were and are very keen to hear about the restoration and modification progress these guys were embarking on.

I don't purport to speak for everyone but I can say that that feeling of 'not being in' or not having the 'right car' applied to me….the Vito numbers are increasing but the anti-A Class (w176) is rife, running alongside the 'if you haven't got one of these, you are a lesser individual' BUT there are enough good people on here for that not to matter.

The more you put in, the more you get out and there are some on here who, even if they don't know about a particular model's intricacies , are still interested because they want to learn something or they can suggest something based on general mechanical knowledge. Any input seems to received with thanks on here nowadays.

If you want to really feel isolated and unworthy, join the official club with a commercial vehicle. In the meantime, welcome to the clique that isn't and just enjoy the forum because there is plenty of enjoyment to be had.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I am also keen to share my experiences with my vehicles. The social side of this forum is very important. I whole heartedly advocate that. I would love too turn up at a meeting with my drive of the day, but I'm not keen on the 'my car is better than yours' attitude. I like this forum and used to have a lot to say. I will have more input again and see how it goes. Enjoy your MB's guys I know I will. Oh and drive safely in the coming winter months.
Les

Good to see you posting again LT. Welcome back!

You actually own and cherish your Merc. 90% of this site lease their cars so it's just a revolving door onto the next new one in case the Jones next door are watching. It has just made mercs mainstream and they have lost that exclusiveness.
I would not give the fact you have an "older car " a second thought. It's actually one of the best cars in the world. My 320 Cdi is also 2004 and I love it.

Welcome back. I assume you are familiar with this site?
Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum
I would offer that your lack of response from the forum perhaps stems from the fact not many members felt they had anything useful to contribute. You are right that commercial vehicles do seem to have a bit of a cinderella role on car forums.

Hi Les , I remember you from before , and I am one of the few who knows what a 508 looks like , for the benefit of others , here is a picture of one we still have on the fleet , alongside my 190E 2.6 ( Edit , actually , no that one isn't a 508 but very similar , we do have 508's as well though ) . My local MB Indy , who also has an ice cream van business in his family also runs them as ice cream vans !

I too choose to run the earlier cars - in fact yours are a good bit newer than mine !

Having been brought up in the 1960's with a W110 Fintail as the family car , learned to drive and passed my test in a W115 , then bought my Ponton in 1982 , after which it was my daily driver for about 15 years , I look at things like 190's , W124's , W126's and the like as modern cars and , having tried a W203 , decided that what I have is as new as I want to go .

My cars are of such an age that they are all paid for outright , looked after by myself , and don't owe me anything :D If one of them breaks , which the older ones don't , then I can just buy another for what many see as one monthly payment on a car they'll never own - it's a very relaxed attitude to motoring .

Enjoy your vehicles , and post up some pictures of your 508 - there's a fairly healthy thread on caravanning over on the of topic forum and your camper would fit in there very well !

Last edited:
You're posting the wrong subject Les. You need something like...

'I opened the passenger door of my 508 today and knocked an undertaking cyclist off his bike. He filmed the whole thing and it's now on YouTube. What does the panel think of that?'

Should elicit a modicum of posts..............................:D

Or a bit like the Hitchhikers Guide line :

Do you know how much damage it would do to my door if you ran into it ?

NONE AT ALL :D

My cars are of such an age that they are all paid for outright , looked after by myself , and don't owe me anything :D If one of them breaks , which the older ones don't , then I can just buy another for what many see as one monthly payment on a car they'll never own - it's a very relaxed attitude to motoring .

Just for clarity - I own mine too and if the break the repairs are free.

I like the Red 190 very much - was if from MerTrux? My first Mercedes was.

I remember you as well Les.

As regards the welcome or reception from the members of this forum, I would say that it is more welcoming and receptive than when I first joined (which I have just noticed is 10 years ago!). Then, it seemed very cliquey and more than a little snooty whereas now I'd say that it's far less of an 'old boys club' feel and that the demographic is younger and less elitist.

Just for clarity - I own mine too and if the break the repairs are free.

I like the Red 190 very much - was if from MerTrux? My first Mercedes was.

I bought that car privately , from a fellow MBOC member , for the princely sum of £500 ; the only repair of note was the leaking heater matrix which I changed myself , I also replaced the sagging drivers seat base with one from the passenger side of a car I found in a breakers , other than that I got two or three years trouble free motoring out of it with just routine servicing , all work DIY .

The 190E 2.6 was one of the best cars Mercedes ever made .

Bellow said:
Good to see you posting again LT. Welcome back!
Thank you. It's nice to be involved again. I did not realise that this topic had been discussed before. But I'm thankful for the responses. In the spring, I'm going to try to find a venue for a meet in the Midlands. It would be great to get together with you guys.

HB said:
You actually own and cherish your Merc. 90% of this site lease their cars so it's just a revolving door onto the next new one in case the Jones next door are watching. It has just made mercs mainstream and they have lost that exclusiveness. I would not give the fact you have an "older car " a second thought. It's actually one of the best cars in the world. My 320 Cdi is also 2004 and I love it.
I agree with you. I also feel that we are in danger of becoming a Mercedes throw away society. It is far easier for people to own or lease a brand new car nowadays. My feeling is, the days of getting up on a Sunday and tinkering around with our cars and lovingly polishing them is fading. You only have to see the cars queued up to be washed at the hand wash outlets to see people don't seem to have enough time to pamper. My personal opinion is a car develops character. When I drive my old e320. I feel safe and know that she will get me home in comfort. When I'm tired after a long day and get into this old girl, I feel like I'm home and in a familiar comfort zone. When I go on holiday in my old camper, my break starts when the engine starts, people fly past me, but she cruises to our destination with admiring glances from other motorists. As for the Sl55. The moment I press the start button and the engine roars into life the excitement begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom