Always read the label ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chic0821

MB Enthusiast
Car
S63 AMG Coupe, Range Rover Sport, 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
Decided to give my trolley jack a bit of an overhaul. Only had it for about 40 years, used a lot in the early days but not used much in recent years. It had a weeping seal, never dropped down but a bit wet around the plunger that you pump up.
Anyway stripped it but it did not have an "o" ring seal. It had a nylon washer behind a wiper seal which I doubt would be obtainable, but there is a nut above the wiper which when tightened by a thread or so puts a bit more compression on the seal increasing the pressure on the mating surface. Job done or not. Pumped it up, nothing, eventually after a bit of bleeding, it worked, but did not feel right as it seemed to have some air in it which escaped if you released the filler screw. Spent ages but eventually had it working properly. Putting back the top cover I noticed a label covered in 40 years of grime. After cleaning, I saw that it said "when using the jack release the filler screw by half a turn". Obviously to allow any trapped air to escape. I had never ever done this since buying the jack, but it pays to READ THE LABEL

When ALL else fails, RTFM!!:D:D:D🤣🤣🤣

Every day's a school day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom