Am I being totally thick or what ? Securing wireless router with push button

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Merry xmas everyone.

I have a Belkin wireless router and I want to secure it.

The instructions say click on the PBC button on the router then start PBC on the client device (I've got an iTouch) within 2 minutes.

Does that mean just push the "on" button on the iTouch ? Knowing my luck I'll lock myself out.

Why is it so difficult to get simple answers for setting up wireless security ???

Thanks for your help.

The iPod Touch doesn't support Wifi Protected Setup (at least not without adding a 3rd party app) so you will have to set up security the manual way. (nor does Windows XP by the way and Vista only if there's also a temporary wired link from PC to Router). PBC assumes you are using Belkin adaptor(s) at the PC/Laptop etc that also feature a PBC button or a PBC application.

WPS and PBC basically allow short "unprotected" window for the router and client to chat & exchange security information to automate the setup of wireless network security for new/inexperienced users.

If you have already used PBC for other clients then go into the router security screens and look up the security type, SSID and passphrase that the router automatically setup and copy these onto the Touch.

If no PBC setup has happened yet, use the router security screens to select:

Security type: WPA2 (this is the ideal setting assuming you have no "older" devices that can't support it)

SSID: whatever you want the network name to be!

Passphrase: something long and hard to guess (from 8 to 63 characters)!

Then set the Touch up to match....

Last edited:
The iPod Touch doesn't support Wifi Protected Setup (at least not without adding a 3rd party app) so you will have to set up security the manual way. (nor does Windows XP by the way and Vista only if there's also a temporary wired link from PC to Router). PBC assumes you are using Belkin adaptor(s) at the PC/Laptop etc that also feature a PBC button or a PBC application.

WPS and PBC basically allow short "unprotected" window for the router and client to chat & exchange security information to automate the setup of wireless network security for new/inexperienced users.

If you have already used PBC for other clients then go into the router security screens and look up the security type, SSID and passphrase that the router automatically setup and copy these onto the Touch.

If no PBC setup has happened yet, use the router security screens to select:

Security type: WPA2 (this is the ideal setting assuming you have no "older" devices that can't support it)

SSID: whatever you want the network name to be!

Passphrase: something long and hard to guess (from 8 to 63 characters)!

Then set the Touch up to match....

Thanks a lot ! Sorted !

Good!

Now the Touch is on Wifi, one of the free apps that I like is the iTunes remote - you can use the Touch to control iTunes on any PC on the network (for instance, one that might be playing through your speakers or TV)...

The one thing I wish it did have was mobile broadband like the iPhone but I don't need the phone bit just the Internet connection. I am looking around to see if there is any clever web caching software to cache websites.

Last edited:
Eh ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom