Am i going mad, where is my maf?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom71

Hi there, new to the forum as I just bought a c180 m reg. Love the car to bits but its now in need of some TLC. Its on a 127 thousand miles but drives great. I do have a problem with tick over. When i first bought the car it would stall once in a while, now after using redex it is a lot better. Though it can still hunt at times. I have cleaned the the air temp sensor, but and this is a big but i cant find the MAF. In fact where all the pictures show where their should be one their isnt. Did the early models not have one? Another question to clean the throttle body do i just spray carb cleaner in through the butter fly valve. Are there any hoses i should be checking?
Tom

If you have the same engine as the C180 non turbo W203 then you have to remove the throttle housing to remove the black oily build up under the butterfly.

If you have the same engine as the C180 non turbo W203 then you have to remove the throttle housing to remove the black oily build up under the butterfly.

Do i actually have to unbolt it or can i just spray carb cleaner in after removing the air filter tubing. I can see the butter fly valve will it be ok just to spray around that? So the early ones did not have a MAF then?
Thanks for the prompt replies

Early C180's like yours didnt have MAS's... if yours does it will be in the highlighted area below:

img00077-20090605-0924_VES_PakWheelscom.jpg

great photo, thanks very much. No mine does not have one. What is the little pipe that feeds into the throttle body on top please, the right angle one? not the fuel line.

Do i actually have to unbolt it or can i just spray carb cleaner in after removing the air filter tubing. I can see the butter fly valve will it be ok just to spray around that? So the early ones did not have a MAF then?
Thanks for the prompt replies
You will need to unbolt and remove the housing as spraying cleaner into the air intake is not really advisable as the cleaner will evaporate but the oily sludge will still remain in the inlet manifold.

Took the throttle body off and cleaned all around the butter fly valve. Replaced it all and tick over seems good as gold. Thanks for all your help

Pleased we could be of assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom