Am I mad to consider changing my MB for a Tesla S?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What happens when you're stuck in a massive traffic jam with heater/ac going for 2/3/4 hours ?

There's a huge fleet of them as taxis in Amsterdam and I was talking get to the driver the other week. He reckoned at this time of year with snow on the ground, lights, heater etc going he gets about 100 miles in city traffic.

Tesla, the good and the bad.
There is no denial that the Tesla is a real speed monster and full of joy.
In Norway where Tesla is very much used because of tax system and less toll roads.
In a good day, you never end up in a cue for charging, 42 hrs charging in a 10 amp outlet, parking spaces taken by other ev cars not plugged in and so on.
You will neither end up like a lot of the owners going inn and out to service due to all kinds of trouble. And free super chargers will always be set up plenty where you are going all the time. Being a bit sarcastic here, not to irritate, more to level up a bit the ”God of cars” thing.
Most Norwegians have a Tesla and a second car with combustion due to much of the above.
And there is also no more ”free charging everywhere” from tesla du to filled stations due to local users. You are only allowed free charging when outside nearby where you live, so on a long trip you can charge for free, and when you are at home or nearby you must pay or use home chargers.
The prices for charging is rising drastically, and is far more expensive than petrol and diesel if you use public chargers.
I would also like to play around with a Tesla, but never as the only car in my garage.
And who with a tad of car interest would not want “tesla ludicrous mode”
:)

To follow on from my original reason for starting this thread, I've now decided to break with my usual philosophy of changing my car every 3-4 years. Normally that would be now, but I'm going to keep the C Class for another 2 years and see where electric cars in general and Tesla in particular are with enlarging the charging network.

I'm also keen to see where battery technology is in terms of charge time and/or capacity and make my final decision then. At the moment, Tesla are the front runners for me, but the major car companies are also currently working on their own electric cars, so will be interesting to see what's available.

Another possibility, of course, is the fuel cell technologies that Toyota are developing. This too could be a real alternative. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom