Am I mad to consider changing my MB for a Tesla S?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great car...my mate who works for Bentley was actually bench marking it back in the summer....the central computer with huge screen controls everything in the car and once familiar may be great...

I think if your seriously considering... the key issue is how many charge points local to home or on your regular commutes...obviously dependent on how much your going to use the car.

When I was in California a few weeks ago I did notice charge points seemed to be everwhere....so as we 'generally' follow the US I would think this will be the same in the future...maybe:confused:

There are charge points relatively near to home but, crucially, none of them are the Tesla Superchargers, so would take a lot longer to charge up. I no longer commute and don't necessarily use the daily hack every day either, so a slow overnight charge at home shouldn't present much of an issue.
I'm sure there will be more of the fast charging points installed throughout the country before too long so it is, perhaps, just a matter of waiting a bit longer. But, of course, the more folk who buy electric cars then the sooner the charge points will be installed.
When I was talking to the Tesla chap, he told me the smaller BMW 3 Series size car should be going on sale in less than 2 years, with a price point around £25-30k, so I imagine that will spark a lot more interest at that price and finally make electric only a viable proposition for a greater number of buyers.

One of the bosses at my place has one and we have normal charging points in the carpark, the bad news for him was turning up late needing a full charge (10 hrs apparently) and finding all the charging points taken. He wasn't to impressed with the hotel either allegedly.

According to the BBC's tekky stuff, Porsche have been given the green light to produce an electric car. The specs they quoted were 310 mile range and 0-100kph in 3.5s.

Another massive drawback of electric vehicles seems to have been addressed too:-

The lithium-ion batteries integrated within the vehicle floor will have enough power for 80% of its mileage range range after 15 minutes charging, Porsche said in a statement. The vehicle can optionally be 'refuelled' wirelessly by induction via a coil set into a garage floor.

Looks good, but these days I prefer not having to lie on the ground and roll into the driver's seat ;)

Last edited:
One of the bosses at my place has one and we have normal charging points in the carpark, the bad news for him was turning up late needing a full charge (10 hrs apparently) and finding all the charging points taken. He wasn't to impressed with the hotel either allegedly.

Hotel?

What happens when you're stuck in a massive traffic jam with heater/ac going for 2/3/4 hours ?

Probably the same as when you're stuck in a petrol or diesel car - you sit and waste fuel

I don't understand the harbingers of doom over range. How many people travel more than 250 miles a day?

If you do, buy a different car. If 250 miles a day is enough, the Tesla is viable, assuming you can afford one

Nick Froome

Another thought: the UK average mileage is somewhere round 10,000 miles a year. That averages out at 208 miles a week

So, on average, a Tesla owner would have to charge the car once a week

Hardly a drama, is it?

Nick Froome

Am I right in thinking that a Tesla is faster than a C63 with a similar range per charge/tank?

Probably the same as when you're stuck in a petrol or diesel car - you sit and waste fuel

I don't understand the harbingers of doom over range. How many people travel more than 250 miles a day?

If you do, buy a different car. If 250 miles a day is enough, the Tesla is viable, assuming you can afford one

Nick Froome

The point is that my diesel will run for days on tickover if necessary. I guess you would just have to switch the Tesla off and sweat or freeze.

Anyone on here get stuck on the M11 overnight a few years back in freezing conditions ?

Another thought: the UK average mileage is somewhere round 10,000 miles a year. That averages out at 208 miles a week

So, on average, a Tesla owner would have to charge the car once a week

Hardly a drama, is it?

Nick Froome

Yes I can see the logic in that but the only problem, as I see it, might be with the occasional long journey of several hundred miles in one go. Fine if there are charge points along the way, but could be problematic if not and that is the only thing making me hesitate really.

Having said that, for probably 90% of the year at least, the range wouldn't be a problem for me and for some of the mile munching long range drives, I often use one of the other cars anyhow.

Hmmm, I might have just answered my own questions I think. :doh:

The point is that my diesel will run for days on tickover if necessary. I guess you would just have to switch the Tesla off and sweat or freeze.

Anyone on here get stuck on the M11 overnight a few years back in freezing conditions ?

You wouldn't switch it off as such, since when not moving, it doesn't use any power from the batteries. Obviously if the heating or a/c are on, that uses power but I understand it would take a very long time to drain the batteries. Still a valid point though.

No I didn't.

Hi,
All the time we live in Abu Dhabi , with petrol at 30p per litre - we will drive our ML63.
As soon as we resettle back in the UK, we plan to get a Tesla - highest power version possible!
Regarding charging time - I worked on an electric bus project 15 years ago and on that vehicle you did not charge the batteries - you turned up at the depot, connected a "fuel" hose like you would on a normal vehicle.
The discharged electrolyte was then removed from the vehicle and replaced with fully charged electrolyte from a central tank.
The electrolyte was highly corrosive - so the fuel pipe was properly connected to the vehicle - not just dipped into the filler neck.
I am real surprised that I have not yet seen this technology in use somewhere!!
Cheers
Steve

For the first time I saw a transporter full of Teslas on the move the other day. The Oxford service station on the M40 has just had the supercharger installed - about 6-8 of them. By the time you've parked, hooked it up, wandered down for a coffee etc the rapid charging will have delivered quite enough.

My next car will almost certainly be electric / hybrid. In 20 years time petrol will have gone the way of hay.

As to the freeze to death bit - the battery has a capacity of 56KWh. In the space involved in a small car a small 1kw heater would be more than adequate to roast the occupants, so at full charge you'd be toasty for 56 hours. I think that's fine.

As to the freeze to death bit - the battery has a capacity of 56KWh. In the space involved in a small car a small 1kw heater would be more than adequate to roast the occupants, so at full charge you'd be toasty for 56 hours.

You wouldn't be able to drive anywhere afterwards though :D

According to the BBC's tekky stuff, Porsche have been given the green light to produce an electric car. The specs they quoted were 310 mile range and 0-100kph in 3.5s.

Another massive drawback of electric vehicles seems to have been addressed too:-

Looks good, but these days I prefer not having to lie on the ground and roll into the driver's seat ;)
I really don't like the idea of induction charging of cars. The size and power of that electromagnet in the floor of your garage would be crazy. Would likely wipe any magnetic strip cards left in the car and, I would have thought, not be good for anyone with pacemakers. Even my induction hob says not to use if you have a pacemaker.

I'm not an expert but I would want to see an independent expert's view on the potential consequences of that in your garage floor.

I have no doubt the induction charging facility will come with a plethora of warnings and caveats, but it's only one option. You'll always have the option (either out of the factory or via a mod) of plugging it in, which will always be quicker than inductive coupling from the same power supply.

My friend has the standard 85 s model which he has on lease. he has had it since March and loves it.
Its very rapid on acceleration and I guess top speed if you ever get the chance to get up there and its just the standard model not even the P85D model with insane mode (0-60 in 3.2 sec) or the P90D with ludicrous mode (0-60 in 2.8sec).
He has no problems with range and covers 90% of his daily driving with ease. On the odd occasions where he has to travel further, the Tesla works out the route for him taking into account charging stations on route and he stops off for a coffee while it fast charges.

He has had all sorts of nice cars in the past including many fast Porches and driven many super cars and says hes never driven anything like it and has vowed he will never go back to a conventional fueled car again.

My view is it is a fantastic piece of kit and if you have a sub 170 mile round trip/commute then I cant see the charging being too much of a problem (and as was mentioned earlier with the average mileage for most people being 10k to 12k then you would only need to charge one to 2 times a week). If you are a sales rep or travel long commutes a lot then probably steer clear for a few years.

One further point I guess is that there will more than likely be far less to service (oil and filter changes etc) I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but I think the Battery and drive-train (Motors and integrated gearing) come with and 8 year infinite mileage warranty too (as I say I may be wrong so do your own research).

I guess the concern is that it is very new technology and the longer term reliability/build quality gremlins haven't raised their ugly heads yet.

If I had the cash, I think I would be getting one but sadly I don't. The above is just my opinion based on the experiences of a very satisfied Tesla owner friend)
All the best.
Moz

In general no, not at all and I considered the same and test drove a couple.

Two things put me off, I'm in Lancashire and while the supercharger network is growing it's not that we'll established around here yet limiting charging to at home or during a journey which extends the journey time.

Secondly I have a fuel card from work yet would have to pay my own electric to charge the thing, equally I can't claim mileage relief on an electric car.

Given those two things it didn't stack up but the car itself was fantastic.

James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom