Am I the only one to have locked my key in the boot????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
Extremely frustrating day yesterday. Used the "unlock boot" button on the key, accidentally dropped the key in the boot, closed boot, locked myself out of car! Last time I use that button in isolation, lesson learnt :eek:

Yep, same here did it within 3 hours of getting my first c-class years ago :doh: always pop all the locks now just in case :D

Nope. I did it. It's a dangerous button in my view.
Never done it in the merc - but I'm paranoid about checking the keys when I shut the boot becuase I know it can easily be done.

I've said this before - but I did manage to lock my Vectra keys in the boot after filling it with re-cycling to take to the tip, closing the boot caused one of the keyfob buttons to be pressed by the corner of one of the plastic cartons and locked the car. Son had spare key fob with him in Manchester - so rubbish had to sit in the car for 36 hours (and then get taken out late Sunday night).

Never done it in the merc - but I'm paranoid about checking the keys when I shut the boot becuase I know it can easily be done.

I've said this before - but I did manage to lock my Vectra keys in the boot after filling it with re-cycling to take to the tip, closing the boot caused one of the keyfob buttons to be pressed by the corner of one of the plastic cartons and locked the car. Son had spare key fob with him in Manchester - so rubbish had to sit in the car for 36 hours (and then get taken out late Sunday night).

When I did the deed I was in Doncaster. Unfortunately this was while I lived in Bristol and travelled up north once a week for a few days. Spare key was obviously in Bristol. Was quite impressed at the MB breakdown peoples skill in getting into the car. Was a bit noisy though!

I did it as well, most embarrasing, as was on a corporate jolly and had blocked one of the other guests in - had to get a lift home and wife brought me back the next day to get it back...

Not in the boot , but I did lock the key in the ignition one of my W124's when I was changing the battery , and the central locking locked itself !

I had just bought the car , which came with only the one key , spent ages sucking and blowing at vacuum lines to no avail , pulling and replacing fuses , ditto . In the end I broke a rear quarterlight , then got Autoglass to come out and replace it for the £50 excess - expensive lesson . I had intended getting another key , nowadays a spare key is one of the FIRST things I get if a car comes with only the one .

We run a chauffeur company and Mrs Nige is one of the drivers.

We bought a new E 220CDi and on the very first run she did just that.
Except that the spare was at home, with me and she was 200 miles away.

Sod that, it came home via Merc Rescue :D

yes! i'm a member of this particular 'daft as a brush' club too!! :D

a very nice mobilo man rescued me within about an hour of phoning them.

I've done this in a hire car in San Francisco.

Just before driving off for my return flight home to the UK I thought I best check I have got my pasports and tickets. So I opened the boot, rummaged in my bag, confirmed everything was present and then promptly shut the boot again before realising my keys were inside ... then I got that sinking feeling. :eek:

Feeling like a complete idiot, I wandered back to my works reception, mentioned it to security who smiled at me and said no problem it happens all the time. They produced a complete set of slim jims, asked me what model of car I was in and had me sorted in under two minutes.

Count myself lucky? not half!

No ! ! ! !
Most will do it at some point.
Just pray that when you do you are at home and have the spare handy.

You cant lock yourself out of a well designed car.

You cant do it in my W124 or Mrs Spikes Volvo S60.

I dont believe you can do it in any Italian car which must say something.

I dont believe you can do it in any Italian car which must say something.

Old Alfa.... Just climb through the rusted holes in the doors.

Fiat.... just wait for a door to fall off it's hinges.

Unless you mean to say "I dont believe you can do it in any Italian car which must say something"

Many years ago I had a friend who claimed to do it regularly in a Fiat 500..... :bannana:

You can if you push the drivers lock button down , then close the back door .

As above , I found that when I connected a new battery to my 124 the pump energised and locked all the doors !

All Mercs since the Fintails have had an interlock on the drivers door to prevent locking by pushing down the button then closing , but if the door is already closed , you can still lock up this way - I often do it intentionally when getting my son out of the child seat in the back , close front doors , keys in pocket , open back door , push drivers door button down , lift child , close back door - car locked .

I did this when I had a Nissan 200sx. It was a nice sunny day and I was in the car park of a company I had visited on business.
I unlocked the boot and then for some reason put my key in my jacket pocket and put my jacket in the boot which I closed. Problem was the car doors were still locked. Had to phone my business partner who collected me took me home to get spare keys and then back again just before the car park would have been locked for the night.
Round trip 100 + miles and a lot of bad language from him.
Still don't really know why I did it.

You can if you push the drivers lock button down , then close the back door .

Ahh... what if your W124 has no back door? With the door open you cant push the button down and if you push the button down and then open the door it unlocks anyway.

It's easily done.
I locked the keys in my old Chevy.
Wife locked keys in the boot of her MB 380SE.

Frightening in both instances how easily complete strangers broke in.
The Chevy took about 10 seconds without doing any damage.
Unbelievable.

Cheers.
Johnsco

+1 for me too

Popped the boot, changed out of the work boots, put the boots into the car, shut the boot and only then remembered that the keys were in the boot. I had only opened the boot release :wallbash:

Car didn't come with a spare key so it was down to the dealership and after £175 and three days got a new shinny chrome key and my boots back, never ever do I only pop the boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom