Am I too early?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Placid Casual

Car
W124 260E, Alfa Romeo GT
So, I get my first Mercedes tomorrow, but thought I'd say hello tonight anyway.

I'm a long time VW Transporter driver and have been around the T4 Forum a bit, but the time has come, the van has sold and tomorrow I get the keys to a 1990 W124 260E.

I'll introduce you to the car later in the week and there's quite a story to it.

I take pictures and so you're all likely to see quite a lot of my car, if you want to or now...

Yes, please come back tomorrow. :D

Jus' joshin. Welcome to the forum and the marque.

Enjoy your retro car. :thumb:

Welcome, looking forward the pics and story.

Ah... the last of the over-engineered Mercs.

Pictured are my new 260E and the T4 it replaces. Now that I've collected and more importantly washed it, it finally feels like mine.

I bought it from a local old boy who'd owned it since 1992. He's covered 8000 miles in the last ten years, but had it serviced and MOTd every year. He sold it because he thought he was getting too old to drive...

It's completely original and has always been garaged. The seats, mats and paintwork are all pretty much perfect. There are a couple of tiny bubbles on the arches and the timing chain cover needs a new seal (no surprise, right?), but otherwise it's minty.

After being on T4 forums, it's good to know that a similar community exists for my new car too. I have much to learn - like where you buy parts from (such as the electric aerial grommet that looks like a decent breeze will remove it) - so expect plenty of dumb questions...

Attachments

• IMG_0375-2.jpg
    IMG_0375-2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1427-2.jpg
    IMG_1427-2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 25
Welcome :thumb: - takes off happy hat and puts on prophet of doom hat----check your EZL ignition unit and renew its heat sink compound ASAP.;)

Welcome :thumb: - takes off happy hat and puts on prophet of doom hat----check your EZL ignition unit and renew its heat sink compound ASAP.;)

Would I have one of those grober...?

Would I have one of those grober...?

Not on a 96 car thankfully. By this time both ignition and fuelling were controlled by the same ECU so no EZL ignition unit. Instead they had the dodgy wiring which could knock out said combined ECU ignition transistors- fortunately these can be repaired relatively easily. The EZL's on the other hand are encapsulated units and cannot be repaired afaik.

I still get a very high idle on start up for about 2 seconds not good at all for a cold engine - it is temperature dependent colder temps setting it off. I wish I could disable that, the other car doesn't do it.

I told you there'd be lots of pictures...

Attachments

• untitled (4 of 37).jpg
    untitled (4 of 37).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 21
  • untitled (6 of 37).jpg
    untitled (6 of 37).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 17
  • untitled (9 of 37).jpg
    untitled (9 of 37).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi & welcome :)

Big change, from a van to a saloon car?!

Welcome to the forum ; your car looks very tidy , and sounds like it was a good find .

There are lots of DIY W124 owners on here , so plenty of knowledge .

In case you aren't already aware , there is a Haynes manual covering the W124 , you may have to order it these days as I suspect Halfords might no longer keep it on the shelf .

Or your local library might have it in the reference section ...

Welcome to the forum. Thats a nice Merc there! The old ones still look very good. I fancy a 190 now. lol.

Any plans?

EZL job done.
The paste was a bit runnier than expected and a fair bit squeezed out from around the sides as I tightened it down. I guess that means that the void between the unit and the wing is full though.
Cheers for the tip Grober.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom