Am I worrying over something simple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sallison1504

Ok, so this weekend I bought my daughter a new car. It is a 2007 Ford Fiesta ST.

On the return trip, it was very quick, however...

I noticed that when driving along a main A road before the engine warmed up, the engine never did warm up. The temperature gauge sat halfway below where it should, at about 70, rather than 90. When I slowed down it warmed up. Sticky thermostat?

Sometimes when idling, it's a little lumpy/rough. Personally I thought that's how the engine should be, but I'm now doubting that. It's got better since we've been driving it.

I got a quote to replace the thermostat today and the mechanic suggested it might have been taken out, to lower the effects of a Cracked Head???

It was very cold today and after driving it around, it took longer than expected to warm up, but it did warm up and stayed there, and it stays there.

From experience, if the engine wasn't warming up enough because of a bad thermostat, then this could cause build up in the combustion chamber, which could cause the rough idle and occasional misfire. I filled it up with 99Tesco Stuff and since then it idles better.

Where do I start? Should I even start to worry or is this all completely normal? I know something isn't right because of the 10minute journey without the engine reaching operating temperature at 70mph.

It's done 52000miles. No water in the oil. Coolant looks pretty clean. No usual head gasket signs. I've never dealt with a 'cracked head' before.

Kind Regards

Change the stat, give it an Italian tune up and then worry if something isn't right after that.

I'm just nervous to even open the housing for the stat (if I can even find it). If I find there is no thermostat then I will be sick with dread. If I don't touch it, will it cause a problem?

Ok, so this weekend I bought my daughter a new car. It is a 2007 Ford Fiesta ST.

On the return trip, it was very quick, however...

I noticed that when driving along a main A road before the engine warmed up, the engine never did warm up. The temperature gauge sat halfway below where it should, at about 70, rather than 90. When I slowed down it warmed up. Sticky thermostat?

Sometimes when idling, it's a little lumpy/rough. Personally I thought that's how the engine should be, but I'm now doubting that. It's got better since we've been driving it.

I got a quote to replace the thermostat today and the mechanic suggested it might have been taken out, to lower the effects of a Cracked Head???

It was very cold today and after driving it around, it took longer than expected to warm up, but it did warm up and stayed there, and it stays there.

From experience, if the engine wasn't warming up enough because of a bad thermostat, then this could cause build up in the combustion chamber, which could cause the rough idle and occasional misfire. I filled it up with 99Tesco Stuff and since then it idles better.

Where do I start? Should I even start to worry or is this all completely normal? I know something isn't right because of the 10minute journey without the engine reaching operating temperature at 70mph.

It's done 52000miles. No water in the oil. Coolant looks pretty clean. No usual head gasket signs. I've never dealt with a 'cracked head' before.

Kind Regards

Does the heater warm up quickly? Our 2005 Focus has "warmth" from the heater for the screen in around a minute normally, as no water should be going anywhere except the heater, until the stat opens.
Have you tried just leaving it running, until, say, the cooling fan cuts in? What temp does it reach then? May just be gauge? Try some simple tests before spending money.

Neil

Ok. To clarify. It heats up to normal operating temperature, but it takes a long time. It takes even more time the faster I travel. Idling it will get to temperature.

Ok. To clarify. It heats up to normal operating temperature, but it takes a long time. It takes even more time the faster I travel. Idling it will get to temperature.

Does sound like thermostat then really. They can go wrong, so wouldn't start worrying about head gaskets just yet.
My merc takes a lot longer to warm up when outside temp is very low, but then it's a big lump of metal etc If starting temp is 0 I would expect it to take quite a bit longer than if temp is in the 20's but revving it a few times can normally start getting the window to start defrosting. Once going, and when I can see, and boot it a bit, it seems to warm up ok. My gauge sits around 80, and I have been told that's too low, but it never moves more than a bar either side, even when towing a caravan, so am hoping its just the gauge.

Neil

Hmm. But what about the rough running?

52,000 miles in 9 years sounds like it has been used as a school run car.
Probably just needs a few good runs? Look through MOT's and see how many miles since last one? You said it already ran better with good petrol.

Neil

I think you need to find out. People remove stats often as they are broken. Then for their own reasons opt not to replace.

No sense worrying until you know the issue. If it has a stat. Drop it into boiling water if it doesn't click open. Change it. If no stat get a new one.

Have you spoken to the seller?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

52,000 miles in 9 years sounds like it has been used as a school run car.
Probably just needs a few good runs? Look through MOT's and see how many miles since last one? You said it already ran better with good petrol.

Neil

Thought I would add, don't just thrash the nuts off it for 20 minutes in 3rd gear at 90 etc. If low mileage, it can damage piston rings, as the conrods may have never been stretched that far before. If a school run car, it has probably spent its life doing less than 3000 revs, and idling lots, due to waiting for the kids. I know, as have had this happen on 2 low mileage cars, so would not shy away from high mileage newer cars now, as they have probably been always at operating temperature.
I did 92,000 miles in a company car in a little over a year, and it still drove like new, and apart from servicing, had not had anything go wrong.
This is why taxi drivers can hit 500,000 miles on some cars, as they share them, so are almost never cold.

Neil

Well, it did 30000 miles in first 3 years.

Then it only did 5000 miles over the next year.

Then it did less than 4000 miles over the next year!

Then there is no MOT record for two years! So it had been run on the road without an MOT for a year.

Then in two years it did 12000 miles

I only just discovered it missed an MOT. Does this mean it was skipped or could this mean something else?

Well, it did 30000 miles in first 3 years.

Then it only did 5000 miles over the next year.

Then it did less than 4000 miles over the next year!

Then there is no MOT record for two years! So it had been run on the road without an MOT for a year.

Then in two years it did 12000 miles

I only just discovered it missed an MOT. Does this mean it was skipped or could this mean something else?

I think 12-15,000 miles a year is now considered average, so still low mileage, which points to lack of use, or regular short runs, so probably "coked up".
Does the owner history correspond with mileages? Maybe first owner did more, then sold to a low mileage user. Then maybe laid up for 2 years, then new owner did a few more miles.
Maybe a student car, and they were away at uni for 2 years, so garaged?
Either way, sounds like lack of use, so I would run it around for a while, as it seems to be working ok''ish and see if things start improving.
I have a 98 car here with less miles on, (51K I think, but not opened it for a year) that I bought for £25 for fun, as it only failed MOT on brakes). I am learning what goes wrong with low mileage cars. It has sat here for more than a year now, in the open air, and I aim to get it roadworthy again (part of a bet) for less than £200. I may still leave it till the weather gets better but at the moment know it needs brake disks and pads (probably, as live 300 yards from the sea) but will use it as a spare in case either of our main cars break down.

Neil

I think I'm going to give it a month of Tesco 99, or maybe some Shell Super whatever it is, and a generous dose of Red-ex and some heavy footing. It's responded well so far so hopefully just that. Thanks for everyone's input :)

For starters I'd fit a new thermostat and change the engine coolant while you're at it, also change the rad cap too. All inexpensive and good preventive maintenance regardless especially now winter is upon us. And go from there.

Joint a Ford/RS/Fiesta club too.

John Jones Jr said:
Joint a Ford/RS/Fiesta club too.

The Fiesta forum is useless. The previous car was a Fiesta too. Some of the users are morons lol!

Ok. The rough idling has improved. It's random. Sometimes when engine hot, some when cold.

When travelling at 70mph, according to my OBD reader, the coolant temperature drops from 79, to around 74/75. When travelling 80-100, it drops to /73. When I slow down, it returns up to 79/80 degrees.

I've noticed it doesn't really take that long to warm up. Apparently it's normal.

So why is the temperature going down at higher speeds, and why would it still have a rough Idle.

Fuel economy is also turning out to be poor.

Also, when idling, the voltage result from O2 sensor 1, fluctuates between 0.100V to 0.600V. When driving it responds close to the pedal movement and is steady. Only goes up and down when idling???

Ok. The rough idling has improved. It's random. Sometimes when engine hot, some when cold.
When travelling at 70mph, according to my OBD reader, the coolant temperature drops from 79, to around 74/75. When travelling 80-100, it drops to /73. When I slow down, it returns up to 79/80 degrees.
I've noticed it doesn't really take that long to warm up. Apparently it's normal.
So why is the temperature going down at higher speeds, and why would it still have a rough Idle.
Fuel economy is also turning out to be poor.
Also, when idling, the voltage result from O2 sensor 1, fluctuates between 0.100V to 0.600V. When driving it responds close to the pedal movement and is steady. Only goes up and down when idling???

I think the temp dropping sounds like a faulty thermostat? Engine running too cool could affect fuel consumption too maybe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom