Amazing Improvement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simzy

Banned
Car
C220
Just a quick thread to update you all on my car issues.
It had no power at all, intermittant limp mode and generally poor performance.
Also it was painful going through the gears ..soooo slow.
Anyway i took it to a local indie who suggested de-catting it as it was bunged up a slow.
Went to pick it up today, paid £150 fee for de-catting and diagnostics and took it for a test drive ..
I literally can not believe the difference in it , its like a brand new car and it goes like stink.
I am totally impressed with the job done on it.
Best of all there is now ..no limp mode at on the car and i now love it again :)

If your diesel is running slow then this is a must for your car ..

GET IT DONE NOW !!!

don't you have to have a cat on any post 1991 car?

Just a quick thread to update you all on my car issues.
It had no power at all, intermittant limp mode and generally poor performance.
Also it was painful going through the gears ..soooo slow.
Anyway i took it to a local indie who suggested de-catting it as it was bunged up a slow.
Went to pick it up today, paid £150 fee for de-catting and diagnostics and took it for a test drive ..
I literally can not believe the difference in it , its like a brand new car and it goes like stink.
I am totally impressed with the job done on it.
Best of all there is now ..no limp mode at on the car and i now love it again :)

If your diesel is running slow then this is a must for your car ..

GET IT DONE NOW !!!
Is it not mandatory to have a catalytic converter.

Not for a diesel....well, they should but aren't actually tested.

The car had a blocked cat so my hand was forced. But as soon as it was removed the car was no joke 1000 times better . It feels like the turbo has been freed up and the kick in is incredible.. As for mot it will got through fine and it also imo sounds much better.

I would defo recommend

Cars are fitted with a whole bunch of crap that has no use if you are not particularly concerned about the environment.

If you are lucky enough to live in a jurisdiction where your car can pass it's tests without having a cat, and you can stop the ecu freaking out (where applicable, if it has a post-cat sensor and cares about it) then the cat really has no purpose at all. Same goes for particle filters, a large proportion of EGR systems and gas tank fume filter systems and a lot of components in crank-case breather systems (depending on their design).

But cats and particle filters are the ones that hurt performance. Just de-catting/de-particle-filtering/fitting a better air cleaner (where appropriate, if the stock air cleaner is not great) and adjusting the maps to compensate for the slightly bigger breathing capacity (where appropriate) would make a brand new car straight from the showroom appreciably better performing! (and of course invalidate any warranty, if you care about that stuff).

Last edited:
Cars are fitted with a whole bunch of crap that has no use if you are not particularly concerned about the environment.

If you are lucky enough to live in a jurisdiction where your car can pass it's tests without having a cat, and you can stop the ecu freaking out (where applicable, if it has a post-cat sensor and cares about it) then the cat really has no purpose at all. Same goes for particle filters, a large proportion of EGR systems and gas tank fume filter systems and a lot of components in crank-case breather systems (depending on their design).

But cats and particle filters are the ones that hurt performance. Just de-catting/de-particle-filtering/fitting a better air cleaner (where appropriate, if the stock air cleaner is not great) and adjusting the maps to compensate for the slightly bigger breathing capacity (where appropriate) would make a brand new car straight from the showroom appreciably better performing! (and of course invalidate any warranty, if you care about that stuff).

I was told it has two cats on it a pre cat and main..what he removed was the pre cat from my car and it has totally changed its performance..it is like new. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust at all also so its not as if its letting out loads of fumes as main cat is still there its just the pre cat ..
The pre cat was blocked anyway so i didnt have a choice but the difference in the car made me want to let others know that are striving for better performance from their diesels on this forum ..

Well, either the cat was reducing emissions, which will show up come your MoT emission test, or ... not.
Nobody really gives a toss about the environment, just about getting through the MoT

Well, either the cat was reducing emissions, which will show up come your MoT emission test, or ... not.
Nobody really gives a toss about the environment, just about getting through the MoT

They dont test emissions on diesels ..

Used several over the years, they all did it. It's the same test wherever I've been. Got the paperwork somewhere.
I do believe they may be changing it again this year though.

Used several over the years, they all did it. It's the same test wherever I've been. Got the paperwork somewhere.
I do believe they may be changing it again this year though.

Mines due next month ..ill poat result when ive had it done.

There are no emissions tests as such on diesels like there is on petrol, the MOT test has 2 parts for emissions spark ignition and compression ignition. For compression ignition it is a smoke test. There is a fast pass element and and extended test, the engine has to meet given smoke emissions based on year of manufacture if it doesn't its a fail, simples

Any missing cat is an automatic fail.

Currently the mot only checks diesels for smoke opacity (soot)
Which for a car to fail has to be pretty bad.
If the cat has been removed but visually no change i cant see how a tester would tell.
A dpf removes the soot but more modern diesel cats lower nox which i beleive will be tested in the not too distant future.
Its a bit of a minefield but in my experiance of 20 yrs working on industrial diesels if it aint broke dont fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom