Amazing price difference Genuine MB Pollen Filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Whilst looking for a new pollen filter for W176 part No A2468300018 on E bay yesterday I spotted one a genuine one at just £18 inc free delivery from a commercial vehicle parts seller yet the same part bought from Mercedes Newcastle was £39.73.

I bought the filter & surprising it arrived next day via DHL at midday, imagine my even greater surprise at the invoice is standard MB invoice.

now look at
Rock On

Attachments

• DSCN1794-min.JPG
    DSCN1794-min.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1790-min.JPG
    DSCN1790-min.JPG
    935.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1791-min.JPG
    DSCN1791-min.JPG
    821.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1793-min.JPG
    DSCN1793-min.JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 30
Seems lots of Sprinter/Vito items on there for those who have one

You can find some right gems on eBay.

I got myself a brand new keyless go shifter for my e class (even trim level was correct), for £50 and a MB invoice. I am sure this would have cost a heck of a lot more via my local dealership.

I sold my old shifter on eBay for a similar price hehe.

That is a very good price, reminds me to order one for my car.

The filter probably fits a number of MB commercial vehicles as well and often parts are cheaper for commercial vehicles.

Whilst looking for a new pollen filter for W176 part No A2468300018 on E bay yesterday I spotted one a genuine one at just £18 inc free delivery from a commercial vehicle parts seller yet the same part bought from Mercedes Newcastle was £39.73.

I bought the filter & surprising it arrived next day via DHL at midday, imagine my even greater surprise at the invoice is standard MB invoice.

now look at
Rock On
Wow that is some markup by MB Newcastle. No wonder they are all so pleasant when i buy parts from them.

Who’s saying MB Newcastle have it marked up high? They’re a passenger car dealer, not a commercial dealer. MB set the retail prices on parts and the dealers decide how much discount (if any) to offer. I wouldn’t expect Newcastle to price match a Commercial outfit, I expect they pay more for their stock in the first place.

This has been the case with MB for years, Sprinters used the same 100Ah Varta batteries as passenger cars, same part number etc except they were about half the price (£60/120 +VAT respectively)

You can cross reference parts on the old EPC, not sure on the new system, but it would show which models certain part numbers are used on - if it fits a Commercial vehicle it’s well worth an ask on the price with someone like the OP has used.

Last three batteries I bought for my MBs over the years have come from the Truck/Van places :thumb:

They do have a strange system when it comes to pricing. Recently bought a rear wiper from MB Newcastle via eBay, the same part number for a W176, W166 and W246 (IIRC). All three were priced differently!

Naturally I opted for the cheapest which was for the A class and then fitted it to my ML! :p

They do have a strange system when it comes to pricing. Recently bought a rear wiper from MB Newcastle via eBay, the same part number for a W176, W166 and W246 (IIRC). All three were priced differently!

Naturally I opted for the cheapest which was for the A class and then fitted it to my ML! :p
That is mental, surely the part number has the price attached to it, if you ask for a part by the part number, how would they know the price to charge if it is dependent on which vehicle you are fitting it to.

The filter probably fits a number of MB commercial vehicles as well and often parts are cheaper for commercial vehicles.

I can't remember the precise numbers now, but on another forum I read of a Volvo owner who needed a new headlamp unit and it was a chunky cost. Parts guy told him to go the commercial vehicle arm of the same dealer as Volvo used the same unit in trucks and it was a fraction of the price - in my head the scale of it was something like £300 for the car and £50 for the truck.

I can't remember the precise numbers now, but on another forum I read of a Volvo owner who needed a new headlamp unit and it was a chunky cost. Parts guy told him to go the commercial vehicle arm of the same dealer as Volvo used the same unit in trucks and it was a fraction of the price - in my head the scale of it was something like £300 for the car and £50 for the truck.
It was ever thus.

A friend at university ran a Porsche 924 (I know, not a "proper Porsche :) )that needed new discs and pads. The cost from Porsche was very high but he was told that some Volkswagen models used he same discs and pads at under a third of the price.

It was ever thus.

A friend at university ran a Porsche 924 (I know, not a "proper Porsche :) )that needed new discs and pads. The cost from Porsche was very high but he was told that some Volkswagen models used he same discs and pads at under a third of the price.
Funny you should say that, in the early 80s a friend had a 924 and was always giving me the keys. It was slow, my Dad's Sierra was faster.
He showed me a £500 invoice for new brakes, my car at the time cost less than that.

It was ever thus.

Ha! A colleague had a VW Touareg and said some parts had prices out of scale of usual VW pricing because they were the same as used on Porsche Cayenne.

I found when looking for parts for my car, searching for just the part number made it simpler to find cheapest, or I would cross reference the part number with a supplier like Bosch would bring up other makes its used on and then searched them

consumables if compatible like break fluid, wipers and arms were usually much cheaper if searched for spec and got from a commercial MB dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom