Amazing r/c "helicopter"!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm 200g is a bit too low maybe. Can you control their position to the centimetre?
Where does 200g come in to it?!
Re. positioning - depends how good you are, but 1 cm is asking a lot.

Hmm 200g is a bit too low maybe. Can you control their position to the centimetre?

It's easy enough to increase the payload - just make it larger! Here's a link to a tricopter which will lift a 19 POUND payload - all-up weight 33 pounds!

As for position, the GPS will hold it within about a 5 feet radius when there's little wind, but that figure increases a bit if windy.

A little Greek lesson for you.....the Hexecopter has six props and six in Greek is Exe, is the 8 prop version called the octocopter?

Near enough - OktoKopter:

VideoAbspielen - Wiki: MikroKopter.de

I priced one up last night :eek:

Buying direct from the German company it came to around £1800 (based on the fact that I already have a suitable transmitter and battery charger). That's with all the GPS/nav modules, and a stabilised camera mount.

The big advantage of the Okto is that unlike the others it has redundancy - it will fly OK with one motor failed. And payload of 1kg.

I reckon there's a business opportunity here.
Just think of all the companies that would like a nice aerial video for their websites. You could also get work from estate agents that sell posh houses.
You'd make that £1800 back in no time (at least that's what I'd tell the wife :D)

I reckon there's a business opportunity here.
Just think of all the companies that would like a nice aerial video for their websites. You could also get work from estate agents that sell posh houses.
You'd make that £1800 back in no time (at least that's what I'd tell the wife :D)
There are quite a few people already doing this - I know of two companies in this area alone. People also use a telescopic mast with a camera mounted on top. You'd have to work quite hard to make a decent amount of money, and I just don't have the free time.

You'd need 3rd party insurance (probably not cheap for this kind of 'business'), and I think as of 1st Jan you need a CAA licence for commercial UAV operation too.

I did do some paid aerial photography in the 90s (big fixed wing plane, carrying a 35mm SLR). I was using stuff I already had anyway (I've always been into photography and r/c flying), so it was nice to get some money back from my hobbies! It was the insurance issue that put an end to it.

This is one of the more interesting AP jobs I did - someone suspected their neighbour of building on their land without planning permission, so I was asked to get some aerial pictures (obviously without actually over-flying the property). This is a scan of a 6x4 print I kept:

Aerial.jpg

This is one of the more interesting AP jobs I did - someone suspected their neighbour of building on their land without planning permission, so I was asked to get some aerial pictures (obviously without actually over-flying the property). This is a scan of a 6x4 print I kept:

Aerial.jpg

And ...had they??

And ...had they??
Well there were certainly builders there - on one of the original (large) prints you could clearly see one of the pointing up at my plane! :D

But I never found out whether the work had planning permission or not.

Bill you are a genius!! I got the helicopter today, only spent 20 mins with it this evening, but i'm flying already (badly!!). What great fun, it'll be in the office tomorrow! Thanks again.

You're very welcome. The MCX is a little gem isn't it!

Bill you are a genius!! I got the helicopter today, only spent 20 mins with it this evening, but i'm flying already (badly!!). What great fun, it'll be in the office tomorrow! Thanks again.
Ditto.
Ordered on Wednesday, missed the delivery yesterday so popped down to the sorting office this morning, and i've had 2 flights already.
Spent the second flight almost entirely hovering and playing with rudder trim to try and get it to sit still.
Still working on tail in hover at the moment, but i'm going to start on tail out before the end of the day.

Thanks again for the recommendation BTB - excellent machine.

I'm now considering which model to get next, i bought the mcx from www.rc-choppers.co.uk and they have a few more Eflites :)

I'm now considering which model to get next
The Blade mSR is a logical next step. But I'd get really comfortable with the MCX before moving on.

You're very welcome. The MCX is a little gem isn't it!

It absolutely is - quick update Bill - about 30 flights in, still over the moon, and i guess about 20% proficient. I have never had so much fun in my own front room! :eek:

The Blade mSR is a logical next step. But I'd get really comfortable with the MCX before moving on.

Well, i'm thoroughly enjoying the mCX and can fly it to some degree, though still concentrating on tail in at the mo.
Bought the mSR and have successfully hovered it on all three flights (tail in) but i can tell that i need to spend a lot more time on the mCX and get comfortable with tail out before i will be able to get the benefit from the mSR.

Thanks for the advice - i'm really enjoying the learning curve :)

Thanks for the advice - i'm really enjoying the learning curve :)
Good stuff!

You know you can increase the control throws on the mSR from the TX (exactly how depends on which one you are using). Then further by moving the ball-links on the swashplate. On maximum throws it really shifts! :D

I've gone no further than the mSR myself (I'm a long-time fixed wing flyer). The new Blade SR looks good, but it's too big for indoors and it's only sold bundled with a TX - a pain if you already have a suitable one.

It absolutely is - quick update Bill - about 30 flights in, still over the moon, and i guess about 20% proficient. I have never had so much fun in my own front room! :eek:

Mrs BTB has been flying my MCX ... getting the hang of it. And Baby BTB (2 yrs old) likes to sit on my lap and adjust the throttle for me :rolleyes: :D

Quick update: I am now fairly proficient (tail in) on mCX and mSR, and have started trying to fly nose in on the mCX.
And yesterday i bought myself a Trex 450 Sport and DX6i :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom