Amazon Prime installed in 2011 S-Class W221

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350, SL400
I have worked out a way to play Amazon Music Prime (hands free via Alexa) in my car.

The car is a 2011 S350 W221 which has Bluetooth but doesn't stream audio from a smartphone.

Everything is stored out of sight in the glovebox. The Bluetooth Adapter uses the Media Interface socket. The Echo Auto and the Wi-Fi Hotspot use the 12v socket. It works brilliantly, responding to voice commands for any music I choose.

Items bought (the links are Amazon but possibly cheaper elsewhere):
Echo Auto
(£19.99)
Bluetooth MMI Adapter
(£17.99)
WiFi Hotspot
(£24.98)
(Data Sim required separately)

There may be other ways to do this (and other items to the ones listed) but this works perfectly.

gbox.jpg

The echo auto is now £49. 99 and the WiFi hot-spot device is now £42.99.

Perhaps you managed to find them on sale,a neat solution though.

What's your data usage per month?

Mmm, maybe I've missed something?

Why can't you stream the audio straight from your phone to the MMI interface, using an MMI Bluetooth adaptor? (So no Echo dot or Wifi hot spot device needed because your phone is doing the work.)

Voice activated phone gives you calls, spotify, podcasts, BBC sounds etc.

I'm using nm open box / as new device which I picked up from EBay for about £25 (On a 2009 W212)

screenshot-2022-06-12-at-20-33-40-png.128417

Last edited:
Mmm, maybe I've missed something?

Why can't you stream the audio straight from your phone to the MMI interface, using an MMI Bluetooth adaptor? (So no Echo dot or Wifi hot spot device needed.)

Voice activated phone gives you calls, spotify, podcasts, BBC sounds etc.

I'm using a open box as new device which I picked up from EBay. (On a 2009 W212)
Q. Why can't you stream the audio straight from your phone to the MMI interface, using an MMI Bluetooth adaptor? (So no Echo dot or Wifi hot spot device needed.)

A. I can stream that way BUT I wouldn't be able to use Alexa voice control on my smartphone when the phone is in SatNav mode (Alexa app needs to be "on top" to be able to respond to voice commands). It is not an Echo Dot but an Echo Auto and responds to voice commands regardless of whether I'm using the phones SatNav or not. I only have 2GB Data allowance on my phone so that would not last long when I'm streaming all the time. I have a "free" unlimited data only sim which I'm using in the wifi hot spot device.

The echo auto is now £49. 99 and the WiFi hot-spot device is now £42.99.

Perhaps you managed to find them on sale,a neat solution though.

What's your data usage per month?
I bought the Echo Auto on Prime Day for £19.99.

WiFi hot spot from ebay for £24.98 here:
TP-Link

I've no idea what my data usage will be as I only installed this yesterday.

Q. Why can't you stream the audio straight from your phone to the MMI interface, using an MMI Bluetooth adaptor? (So no Echo dot or Wifi
A. I can stream that way BUT I wouldn't be able to use Alexa voice control on my smartphone when the phone is in SatNav mode (Alexa app needs to be "on top" to be able to respond to voice commands). It is not an Echo Dot but an Echo Auto and responds to voice commands regardless of whether I'm using the phones SatNav or not. I only have 2GB Data allowance on my phone so that would not last long when I'm streaming all the time. I have a "free" unlimited data only sim which I'm using in the wifi hot spot device.
Great. Alles klar.

Siri on the iPhone lets you control everything, including Iphone satnav.

Streaming isn't an issue for the iPhone as they download their podcasts and favourite spotify music while on wifi, not on cellular.

(I only use 3gb a month (out of 10) and I listen to 10+ hours a week and do a fair bit of satnav as well as video calls. Even a bit of mbclub.

It's good to chew these things over

Great. Alles klar.

Siri on the iPhone lets you control everything, including Iphone satnav.

Streaming isn't an issue for the iPhone as they download their podcasts and favourite spotify music while on wifi, not on cellular.

(I only use 3gb a month (out of 10) and I listen to 10+ hours a week and do a fair bit of satnav as well as video calls. Even a bit of mbclub.

It's good to chew these things over
My phone is Android (Huawei Mate 20 Pro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom