Amazon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What use is a telescope without a tripod.........? :doh:
It came with a tripod...and then they sent the originally ordered tripod...for a camera.

They are not minimum wage though, basic hourly rate is above minimum and you can imagine the access to overtime in the current climate.

Besides the Guardian article is about self employed couriers who manage to get a gig with Amazon.

Typical twisting of facts by Chipper.

So The Guardian is opposed to un-unionised self-employed workers in the gig economy...? Not a surprise, really :D

They are not minimum wage though, basic hourly rate is above minimum and you can imagine the access to overtime in the current climate.

Besides the Guardian article is about self employed couriers who manage to get a gig with Amazon.

Typical twisting of facts by Chipper.
Whatever you say. It is a long article so i can understand you not reading it all.

Whatever you say. It is a long article so i can understand you not reading it all.

Somehow I don't Dr Feelgood is in the habit of boycotting mainstream media channels simply because they may not agree with his own views. But of course it's a possibility, you never know, some people are like that.

Somehow I don't Dr Feelgood is in the habit of boycotting mainstream media channels simply because they may not agree with his own views. But of course it's a possibility, you never know, some people are like that.
It is so lovely the way you stick up for your little friend. Most endearing.

Strange to think these poor sods working for Amazon were essential workers throughout the health crisis. Apparently for little reward.

...these poor sods working for Amazon were essential workers throughout the health crisis. Apparently for little reward.

According to the Guardian, anyway.

And here is the killer sentence in the article...

"Wright, Dawson and Biri claim that they were unaware of a complaints procedure"

Oh and the essential workers referred to work for a company (UK Express Logistics) that went into liquidation in February - before C19 really hit. Not exactly essential workers then....

Headiline - We talk to depot staff and drivers who are working in shocking conditions and having their pay docked for minor mistakes

Arrticle makes no reference to the conditions works are operating in (presumably their own vehicle so they control that?) and, as far as I can read, no examples of "minor mistakes"

Typically whinging from the Graundiad

It is so lovely the way you stick up for your little friend. Most endearing.

Strange to think these poor sods working for Amazon were essential workers throughout the health crisis. Apparently for little reward.
They were working hard, still are, my contact at Amazon tells me that it's like Christmas there currently but without the relief that Christmas eve would bring.

I have documentary evidence that their employees (not self employed couriers) earn an hourly rate above minimum wage and year on year increase this by 50% in overtime, they have been given shares in the company to with as they wish.

Conditions for employees are not brilliant, as I said earlier they are a very process driven company and employees either accept and adapt or don't, I suspect that the biggest whiners will be those who expect their employer to fit in around their own beliefs/circumstances. Hang on, do you work there?

My we do love Amazon don't we. The article i posted also refers to an Amazon Flex drivers experiences...

"Nuala Biri* answered an ad for Amazon’s own delivery arm, Amazon Flex, when she was made redundant from her job as a care assistant last year. Flex promises £12-£15 an hour for shifts of between one and four hours. Out of that, drivers have to pay for their own vehicle, fuel and expenses, including tolls and congestion charges. Biri says her net pay amounts to £150 a week on average and she has to rely on her family to pay her bills."
“It’s a zero hours contract and when a shift is posted on the app, every driver in the area is also looking at it so it’s just chance whether you get work,” she says. “Some people get their children to be on the app from 7am looking out for jobs while they are doing something else so they don’t miss out.”
"Although shifts are advertised as a maximum of four hours, she claims they can take longer as the number of parcels and length of the routes are increasing. Flex drivers are paid overtime, but this year, she says, it was halved to £6.50 an hour which, when fuel and tolls are factored in, can mean working at a loss."

Who is right you or an ex employee?

My we do love Amazon don't we. The article i posted also refers to an Amazon Flex drivers experiences...

"Nuala Biri* answered an ad for Amazon’s own delivery arm, Amazon Flex, when she was made redundant from her job as a care assistant last year. Flex promises £12-£15 an hour for shifts of between one and four hours. Out of that, drivers have to pay for their own vehicle, fuel and expenses, including tolls and congestion charges. Biri says her net pay amounts to £150 a week on average and she has to rely on her family to pay her bills."
“It’s a zero hours contract and when a shift is posted on the app, every driver in the area is also looking at it so it’s just chance whether you get work,” she says. “Some people get their children to be on the app from 7am looking out for jobs while they are doing something else so they don’t miss out.”
"Although shifts are advertised as a maximum of four hours, she claims they can take longer as the number of parcels and length of the routes are increasing. Flex drivers are paid overtime, but this year, she says, it was halved to £6.50 an hour which, when fuel and tolls are factored in, can mean working at a loss."

What's your angle here, it I may ask?

In the US, you seem to be supporting the right-wimg Trump.

In the UK, you support lowly-paid workers, against their ruthless greedy employer.

Care to explain how the two can be reconciled?

I'll take the good Dr's commnets, based on a real person, not an annonomised "not my real name" source...

Your Amazon Flexi friend is still getting overtime for work in excess of 4 hours...

What's your angle here, it I may ask?

In the US, you seem to be supporting the right-wimg Trump.

In the UK, you support lowly-paid workers, against their ruthless greedy employer.

Care to explain how the two can be reconciled?
The folly of globalism.

I'm not a particular fan and neither is the employee who has given me the info.

Who is ight? I'd suggest that the current employee is right, she has shown me payslips and a P60 so I guess that I am right as well.

No he didn't, the op told what he saw as a frustrating story of corporate stupidity and everyone else has started telling him what he should do. He hasn't asked for your advice and certainly didn't ask to be shouted at because you need to feel you are correct all the time.
Of course he asked questions: the whole purpose of this thread was to seek advice - which he got .

I get that but what use is it to the Original Poster, he has the parcel now!

Fulfilled by Amazon wont have delivery note inside or a conventional carrier tracking label on the package.

In my experience Police will do nothing as he has not suffered any actual losses, they will say to report to Action Fraud.
Point one - it is so he can discover which carrier delivered it .

Point two - although I don’t have an amazon account , I have received gifts bought for me from them and there have been delivery notes from the sellers in the box as well as consignment numbers on the address label

It is potentially identity theft , at worst he can hand the stuff in as lost property .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom